physically demanding job + race training...

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jonathandanger, Jun 27, 2007.

1. jonathandanger

jonathandanger New Member

I just picked up a fairly exhausting job at my local Cracker Barrel washing dishes... I am also training for a race... I've noticed that when I am on my feet doing manual labor, my ability to recover from rides goes way down and that I am just generally fatigued more often and I find it hard to ride like I used to. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to balance the two without too much fatigue? I work evenings only, so I have every morning open, I'm just sore and tired all the time. Should I resort to Ben Gay and Ibuprofen?

Tags:

2. wiredued

wiredued New Member

There are a lot of things that can lead to fatigue my most recent mistake was being uninformed about the "critical half hour glycogen" (sugar) intake thanks to DaveR I can now do consecutive day training without thinking about it.:cool:

http://www.carbboom.com/education/recovery.php

3. jonathandanger

jonathandanger New Member

Hmm, thats a really interesting article. I'll definitely put that into practice and see how I fare.

4. ives

ives New Member

Yes, I have a physically demanding job and find training a real struggle.
    I ofton feel really wiped out, but make myself train anyway, often at below par performance, which is helping no one really.
    I might try the carb thing in that article.

Just out of interest, what sort of carbs/protein do you consume after a workout?

cheers
    Ives

5. wiredued

wiredued New Member

I like 1/5 gatorade with water and raw honey during the ride and now after also for the critical half hour I will keep drinking that mix and maybe take a teaspoon of raw honey with it. For protein either peanutbutter on whole wheat toast, PBJ or a fried egg with melted cheese.