PI sizing question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sandy Christmus, May 30, 2003.

  1. I just bought a pair of PI Ultrasensor shorts for my lard-ass. I have a 35" waist and I bought the
    Large size shorts. The Pearl sizing chart says the large is for 36" waists and the XL is for 39"
    waists. These shorts are TIGHT! The boys are bit uncomfortable. Have others found that PI's sizing
    is a little small, or is it just me?

    Thanks for the help.

    Sandy

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Sandy Christmus <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ED8221B.4090209 @nocoxspam.net:
    > I just bought a pair of PI Ultrasensor shorts for my lard-ass. I have a 35" waist and I bought the
    > Large size shorts. The Pearl sizing chart says the large is for 36" waists and the XL is for 39"
    > waists. These shorts are TIGHT! The boys are bit uncomfortable. Have others found that PI's sizing
    > is a little small, or is it just me?

    PI Ultrasensor doesn't stretch as well as other PI fabrics, so they fit best on cyclists with a
    relatively slim rear end, compared to their waist.

  3. > I just bought a pair of PI Ultrasensor shorts for my lard-ass. I have a 35" waist and I bought the
    > Large size shorts. The Pearl sizing chart says the large is for 36" waists and the XL is for 39"
    > waists. These shorts are TIGHT! The boys are bit uncomfortable. Have others found that PI's sizing
    > is a little small, or is it just me?

    Sandy: Where are they tight? Have you worn lycra cycling shorts previously? I ask because people new
    to lycra don't always understand that it's made to conform to your shape and essentially stretch to
    fit. But if you're getting a strong tourniquet effect (for example, the legs constrict so severely
    that you get a mondo bulge just below where the shorts end), then I'd say it doesn't fit properly.

  4. Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    >>I just bought a pair of PI Ultrasensor shorts for my lard-ass. I have a 35" waist and I bought the
    >>Large size shorts. The Pearl sizing chart says the large is for 36" waists and the XL is for 39"
    >>waists. These shorts are TIGHT! The boys are bit uncomfortable. Have others found that PI's sizing
    >>is a little small, or is it just me?
    >>

    >Sandy: Where are they tight? Have you worn lycra cycling shorts previously? I ask because people
    >new to lycra don't always understand that it's made to conform to your shape and essentially
    >stretch to fit. But if you're getting a strong tourniquet effect (for example, the legs constrict
    >so severely that you get a mondo bulge just below where the shorts end), then I'd say it doesn't
    >fit properly.
    >
    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Thanks for the note. They're especially tight in the rear and front areas. There's not really a
    constriction at the thigh openings, but I think I have more fat in my ass than in my legs:) I have
    a great pair of Canari cycling shorts that I love, but I can't find this style anywhere (Elite, I
    think). They are size Large and fit great!

    Sandy

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Sandy Christmus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Thanks for the note. They're especially tight in the rear
    and front
    > areas. There's not really a constriction at the thigh
    openings, but I
    > think I have more fat in my ass than in my legs:) I have
    a great pair
    > of Canari cycling shorts that I love, but I can't find
    this style
    > anywhere (Elite, I think). They are size Large and fit
    great!

    FWIW, Voler's sizing chart compares several popular brands:

    http://www.velowear.com/Sizing_info.asp

    I like Canari stuff too, but it comes and goes, and is hard to find right now.

    Matt O.

  6. Mgs

    Mgs Guest

    I have a 31 inch waist, weigh 170lbs and am 5"11"

    I wear the PI in a large.

    I find the medium too tight for my comfort.

    I would suggest you might find the XL more comfortable.

    The one thing I find about a lot of biking clothing is that most stuff is made for European bikers,
    i.e., thin and small boned.

    Don't be afraid to size up even if you are intimidated by the fact that an XL means you are BIG.

    I take the XL in the ASSOS shirt and bib. And I am not big, it's just the size I'm most
    comfortable in.

  7. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "MGS" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a 31 inch waist, weigh 170lbs and am 5"11"
    >
    > I wear the PI in a large.
    >
    > I find the medium too tight for my comfort.
    >
    > I would suggest you might find the XL more comfortable.
    >
    > The one thing I find about a lot of biking clothing is that most stuff is made for European
    > bikers, i.e., thin and small boned.
    >
    > Don't be afraid to size up even if you are intimidated by the fact that an XL means you are BIG.
    >
    > I take the XL in the ASSOS shirt and bib. And I am not big, it's just the size I'm most
    > comfortable in.

    I am 6² and weigh 165, waist is a constant ride to keep at 32³

    PI jersey in large, microsensor short in medium.

    Wish I could wear bibs, but had to add about 2² to the straps to fit my overly long torso.

    The best advice is to try em on before you buy.

    HAND

  8. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote in part:

    >The one thing I find about a lot of biking clothing is that most stuff is made for European bikers,
    >i.e., thin and small boned.

    Those of us that wear a euro size 2 prefer to think of ourselves as lean and compact.

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  9. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    think of ourselves as big-boned and beefy.

    I think that just about every biker I know would wear at least a Euro XXL or larger jersey. I took a
    liking to the Assos Tobi (Swiss cross with cows) jersey a while back and my wife decided to surprise
    me with it for my birthday. The real surprise came when I opened the box and an XL appeared to be
    about right for my 12 year old nephew (and $95 to boot!).

    App

  10. --------------030507010806010601020001 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

    H. M. Leary wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, "MGS" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a 31 inch waist, weigh 170lbs and am 5"11"
    >>
    >>I wear the PI in a large.
    >>
    >>I find the medium too tight for my comfort.
    >>
    >>I would suggest you might find the XL more comfortable.
    >>
    >>The one thing I find about a lot of biking clothing is that most stuff is made for European
    >>bikers, i.e., thin and small boned.
    >>
    >>Don't be afraid to size up even if you are intimidated by the fact that an XL means you are BIG.
    >>
    >>I take the XL in the ASSOS shirt and bib. And I am not big, it's just the size I'm most
    >>comfortable in.
    >>

    >I am 6² and weigh 165, waist is a constant ride to keep at 32³
    >
    >PI jersey in large, microsensor short in medium.
    >
    >Wish I could wear bibs, but had to add about 2² to the straps to fit my overly long torso.
    >
    >The best advice is to try em on before you buy.
    >
    >HAND

    Thanks for all the help. I exchanged my large PI Ultrasensors for XL and they're better. I tried
    these on before leaving the store (as suggested). They're a little odd on my frame. I'm 6', 190lbs
    and going down (weight, not height). The waist is actually a little loose, the ass and crotch fit
    pretty well, and the legs are a little longer than my Canaris. On the whole, they're fine, but may
    not be worth a second pair at that price. I think you all are right, they're made for leaner bods
    than mine.

    Thanks, again.

    Sandy

    --------------030507010806010601020001 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    I. M. Leary wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">In article <a
    class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:p[email protected]"><pmrC-
    [email protected]></a>, "MGS" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href="mailto:[email protected]"><[email protected]></a> wrote:

    I wear the PI in a large.

    I find the medium too tight for my comfort.

    I would suggest you might find the XL more comfortable.

    The one thing I find about a lot of biking clothing is that most stuff is made for European bikers,
    i.e., thin and small boned.

    Don't be afraid to size up even if you are intimidated by the fact that an XL means you are BIG.

    I take the XL in the ASSOS shirt and bib. And I am not big, it's just the size I'm most
    comfortable in.

    to keep at 32&sup3;

    PI jersey in large, microsensor short in medium.

    Wish I could wear bibs, but had to add about 2&sup2; to the straps to fit my overly long torso.

    The best advice is to try em on before you buy.

    HAND

    </pre> </blockquote> Thanks for all the help. I exchanged my large PI Ultrasensors for XL
    and they're better. I tried these on before leaving the store (as suggested). They're
    a little odd on my frame. I'm 6', 190lbs and going down (weight, not height). The
    waist is actually a little loose, the ass and crotch fit pretty well, and the legs are a little
    longer than my Canaris. On the whole, they're fine, but may not be worth a second pair at
    that price. I think you all are right, they're made for leaner bods than mine.<br> <br>

    --------------030507010806010601020001--