picking out a wheel upgrade

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by watermelonman, Oct 2, 2014.

1. watermelonman

watermelonman New Member

I have had my eye on both of these for a week or so, and think I can get them for roughly the same price -
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mavic-ksyrium-elite-clincher-wheelset
    http://www.williamscycling.com/Wheel-System-28_p_148.html

The Mavics are obviously a huge name. They appear to be a little lighter as well. The Williams wheels have that wider rim size that everyone seems to be excited about these days, but I have no experience with it. Wider and smoother sounds nice, but I am not sure why or even if rolling resistance would be improved.

In any case, what does the crowd think between the two?

Tags:

2. AyeYo

AyeYo Member

I'll take the wider and more aero rims over the fad Ksyrium bricks any day. Slightly lower weight is more than negated by the Ksyrium being the least aero wheel on the market, not to mention the less than steller bearing/bushing design of the hubs.

Wider (to a point) does improve rolling resistance. The wider wheel gives a wider contact patch for the tire, which means less weight per square inch of contact patch, which means less rolling resistance. Obviously you can take this too far to the point that the drag of all the extra tire on the road negates the lower pressure on the tire. The smoother part comes from the ability to run lower air pressure for the same reason; the larger contact area means more air volume, which means less PSI in the tire needed to hold the bike up. Less tire pressure means more give over bumps and softer ride.

One question though... what made you narrow your choice to those two?

3. watermelonman

watermelonman New Member

Hah, it was kind of fad vs fad there. Thanks for explaining the difference in rolling resistance; I definitely understand better now and appreciate it.

Ksyrium, I guess I have liked the look for a long time. In fact when I first bought this bike I tried to get the shop to give me Ksyrium at a reasonable trade price vs the silly stock wheels, but they would not budge. Williams, well I am in California and I heard out on a ride that they were great and local. I am definitely open to other suggestions too!

4. AyeYo

AyeYo Member

Here's the same suggestion I give everyone shopping in the $500 range (because, really, wheelsets are all about personal preference):

http://www.wiggle.com/fulcrum-racing-3-clincher-wheelset-2013/

You won't find anyone that owns a pair that has anything bad to say about them. My cheaper Quattros are still dead-nuts true after 2,000 miles of bombing around on awful roads and even a few excessively rough gravel roads. Plus I out-roll almost everyone on hills (especially the Ksyrium bushing club) and all the Fulcrum wheels look great to boot.