Pickled Sausages?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Steve Wertz, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    Mart.

    I bought some mediocre sausages I'd like to pickle. I could just
    throw them in some vinegar w/crushed dried pepper and pray, but
    was wondering if anybody had a decent recipe they've used to do
    this before.

    Was thinking of a 3/1 vinegar/water ratio with an appropriately
    sized helping of peppers and a pinch or three of sugar - heated,
    and poured over sausages. Then letting sit for three days. The
    sausages are pork and beef and are 2/3" thick.

    -sw

    Tags:

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    > I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    > Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    > Mart.
    >
    > I bought some mediocre sausages I'd like to pickle. I could just
    > throw them in some vinegar w/crushed dried pepper and pray, but
    > was wondering if anybody had a decent recipe they've used to do
    > this before.
    >
    > Was thinking of a 3/1 vinegar/water ratio with an appropriately
    > sized helping of peppers and a pinch or three of sugar - heated,
    > and poured over sausages. Then letting sit for three days. The
    > sausages are pork and beef and are 2/3" thick.
    >
    > -sw

    You might add a couple of bayleaves and some mustard seeds -- and a few
    hard boiled eggs. I think it'll take longer than 3 days. At least a
    week.

    Are the sausages fully cooked?

    Best regards,
    Bob

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    > Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    > Mart.
    >
    > I bought some mediocre sausages I'd like to pickle. I could just
    > throw them in some vinegar w/crushed dried pepper and pray, but
    > was wondering if anybody had a decent recipe they've used to do
    > this before.
    >
    > Was thinking of a 3/1 vinegar/water ratio with an appropriately
    > sized helping of peppers and a pinch or three of sugar - heated,
    > and poured over sausages. Then letting sit for three days. The
    > sausages are pork and beef and are 2/3" thick.
    >
    > -sw

    You could cheat like I do when I make pickled Okra.

    Buy a jar of Claussen's pickles.

    Eat the pickles, keep the brine/juice.

    Take the smallest fresh okra out of the packages, rinse them off and
    place them into the reserved brine. Refrigerate for 2 weeks.

    Should work with sausage and if you want it hotter, add a few slices of
    Japapeno.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  4. Jimbo1

    Jimbo1 Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    > Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    > Mart.

    The WalMart Superstore here in Lamar, MO has them, so I would expect their
    stores in Austin would too.

    Jim

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:33:15 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >> I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    >> Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    >> Mart.
    >>
    >> I bought some mediocre sausages I'd like to pickle. I could just
    >> throw them in some vinegar w/crushed dried pepper and pray, but
    >> was wondering if anybody had a decent recipe they've used to do
    >> this before.
    >>
    >> Was thinking of a 3/1 vinegar/water ratio with an appropriately
    >> sized helping of peppers and a pinch or three of sugar - heated,
    >> and poured over sausages. Then letting sit for three days. The
    >> sausages are pork and beef and are 2/3" thick.

    >You might add a couple of bayleaves and some mustard seeds -- and a few
    >hard boiled eggs.

    I've got pickled eggs+beets in another jar. And I got two kinds
    kimchi ripening on the counter (2 days left for that). Just what
    I need, pickled sausages too, eh?

    >I think it'll take longer than 3 days. At least a week.
    >
    >Are the sausages fully cooked?

    Yeah - they're cooked. I did a test batch tonight with 4 sausages
    cut in thirds. Still have 20 more sausages to use up though.

    -sw

  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:24:42 GMT, "Jimbo1"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    >> Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    >> Mart.
    >>

    >The WalMart Superstore here in Lamar, MO has them, so I would expect their
    >stores in Austin would too.

    Yeah - they have huge jars of Penrose sausages(*). $8 for a
    2-year supply. Penrose aren't very good though - Too mushy.

    -sw

    (*) Not that *I* shop at Walmart. I was dragged there against my
    will last week.

  7. On Thu 05 Jan 2006 10:30:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
    Wertz?

    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:24:42 GMT, "Jimbo1"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>>I can't find any pickled sausages in the stores here in Austin.
    >>> Other than those "Firecracker" things they sell at the Quickie
    >>> Mart.
    >>>

    >>The WalMart Superstore here in Lamar, MO has them, so I would expect
    >>their stores in Austin would too.

    > Yeah - they have huge jars of Penrose sausages(*). $8 for a
    > 2-year supply. Penrose aren't very good though - Too mushy.
    >
    > -sw
    >
    > (*) Not that *I* shop at Walmart. I was dragged there against my
    > will last week.

    As we all are. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*