Pics of Campa 11 speed

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> i don't ride a bike - my tentacles get tangled.

>> That's not in the least bit surprising.

> don't snip without annotation - usenet basic 101.

What are you going to do about it? By the way - I'm 6'4" tall 185 lbs and
grew up as a white in west Oakland.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> That's not in the least bit surprising.

>> don't snip without annotation - usenet basic 101.

> What are you going to do about it? By the way - I'm 6'4" tall 185 lbs
> and grew up as a white in west Oakland.

er, that's oaktown - any local knows that. and besides, greg, i've met
you - you're not that big.

In article <[email protected]>,
Morten Reippuert Knudsen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2008-06-21 16:23:24 +0200, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> said:
>
> > We had reached the practical limit at 9 speeds. Of what use is more
> > than that unless you are in a peculiar terrain in the middle of an
> > important race?

> actaully, my ideal cassette would have 12 cogs:
> 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-26-29
>
> I always seem to miss the 18t when riding 12-25
>
> When i'm in alpine terrain i switch to 13-29 in order to have an lower
> emergancy gear but then i miss my top gear on long decents while i
> still miss the 18t cog on flat roads where i usually ride 50/16, 50/17
> and 50/19.

How much do you miss the 18 and how much do you miss the 12?
Enough to install a third chain wheel and run a 12-23?
To get the 18 I run a nine speed 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Tom: 9-speed shifters don't really cost any less to make, quality being
> > equal, than 10-speed shifters. The other parts of the system are the
> > derailers (which also don't cost any less to make, and are agnostic
> > about how many cogs they shift, until the creation of the new-spec D-A
> > cable pull for 2009), and the cassette, which is a wear item.
> >
> > So what happens is you bring your trashed Ultegra 9s brifters into the
> > bike shop, and the wise proprietor will point out you just need to buy a
> > new cassette (and your old one is half-worn anyways) and you're in the
> > world of 10s.
> >
> > The number of people who in that circumstance would choose to stay with
> > 9-speed is not a market. The real cheapskates just buy used 9s, which
> > are cheap and plentiful.

> Converting a single bike from 9 to 10 speed is not a big deal, but if you
> have three or four bikes and alternate the wheelsets between them, then it
> either becomes a PITA to swap cogs every time you switch rear wheels or
> moderately expensive to convert all your bikes to 10 speed.
>
> What is the cost of four sets of brifters, four 10s chains, and at least
> four cogsets?

The intersection of the set of people with four 9-speed bikes and
limited means is, to be brief, me. And even I have only two 9-speed
bikes.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Lou Holtman wrote:
> >> Also on this side of the pond SRAM is a non issue on road bikes, even on
> >> complete bikes.

> Derk wrote:
> > In Germany the big mail order companies offer SRAM groups on their bikes
> > (Rose, Canyon if I'm not mistaken).

> Hell, even we 'offer' them. Unlike mailorder outfits we have built
> ready-to-ride bikes. How are actual sales?

Is it really a shock that SRAM is small potatoes three years after they
started?

On Jun 22, 12:07 pm, [email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Pretty simple, Campagnolo stopped making Centaur with aluminum axle
> > and Chorus hubs in 2006. Hubset chopices for 2007/8 are the Black
> > Record, Centaur with cart bearings and steel axle(acxtually relabeled
> > Veloce hubs), Veloce...

> And Veloce was available in 2007 only. The hubs don't actually
> have the text "Veloce" anywhere on them, but 2008 Centaur (and Mirage)
> has the new design QR, so there is at least some way to tell them apart.
>
> I guess I'd better stock up a few Mirage rear hubs for utility and
> foul weather use before they are gone altogether. Also, shouldn't the
> "red" Record Ergos be available with substantial discounts pretty
> soon, what with all pro wannabes now just waiting for 11s?

QuickStep guy that was the Belgium national champ at tour of suisse
had 11s gruppo, btw.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> QuickStep guy that was the Belgium national champ at tour of suisse
> had 11s gruppo, btw.

typical, all those extra gears would have made more sense on the bike of
the poor guy finishing last ;)

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Jun 21, 8:07 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 20, 3:20 pm, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 18, 4:48 am, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >http://www.guidorubino.com/technews/2008/06/18/campagnolo-2009-ergopo....

> > > Derk

> > I unfortunately don't have experience with modern brifter Campy, but
> > anyone else found 9 speed Shimano is reliable and easy to tune while
> > 10 speed is fiddly? It may be just my experience, and somebody
> > certainly was going to do it (and Campy has been overshadowed by SRAM
> > lately) but I'm not looking forward to skinnier, more expensive
> > chains.

> > Sure, I don't have to buy....

> As for Campagnolo being 'overshadowed' by Sram, I don't get this.
> Campagnolo does little to no OEM at any level, shimano does gobs. Many
> bikes that were spec'ed with shimano 105/ultegra/DA came out in 2008
> with Rival/Force/Red..who lost market share was shimano, not
> Campagnolo. In our little microcosm of a bike shop where we start with
> a frame, where we have all three shifter types on demo bikes, most
> still opt for Campagnolo(85%), followed by shimano, Zero so far for
> Sram this year.

I don't have bicycle retaler-type info, but by "overshadowed" I just
mean that, perception-wise, SRAM is seen as bold and new and exciting
while Campy is staid. Riders are excited to try the SRAM stuff, right?
I don't see how it's a better system, but that's not what I'm
questioning here. I'm talking about interest and hype and how they
likely correspond with sales.

In turn, I'm starting to see more and more bikes in the NYC area
outfitted with SRAM. Not saying it's better or worse, and maybe
they're taking some of Shimano's market too, but I would think that
since Campy sells less OEM (compared to Shimano) that they're probably
suffering more from SRAM's entries into the market. Plus, SRAM sells a
good deal of OEM MTB and department store Grip Shift stuff too, areas
where, for better or worse and AFAIK, Campy has no offerings.

The number of Campy bikes with, say, FSA cranks, can't be helping
either.

I'm not rooting against Campy by any means, just a few observations. I
suspect that they may have been anxious that SRAM might come out with
11 speed and reinforce my first point that Campy hasn't done anything
very exciting lately.

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Tom Kunich wrote:
>>>
>>> Duhhh - Sorry about that Martin, my brain apparently turned off - you
>>> say that the R600 is available in 9-speeds? Ahh, yes here it is - But
>>> a set of the levers is selling for the same thing as Ultegra - $320.

>> Well at last. It comes down to money... How many brifters do you wear
>> out per year?

> Tell me Lou - why would you think that a bicycle shift/brake lever
> should cost a consumer over $200? Have you noticed that you can get a
> desktop computer for that much?

I don't know Tom. Who do you think is ripping you off at a price of
$320? Shimano, the distributor, the shop, the system? What do you think
is a reasonable price and why? Keep in mind that Shimano, Sram an Campy
are companies who try to make a profit. Blame the system? That's silly.
Probably the company you working for does the same thing.
Don't keep Campy or Shimano responsible for the fact that you think that
keeping your ridiculous amount of bikes up to date at a, what you think,
reasonable price.
Campy is trying to keep a unique selling point. For a while it was 10
speed, after that it was all that carbon stuff and now it's 11 speed,
because Shimano and Sram went also 10 speed and carbon. It's that
simple. Campy is not in a position to compete with Shimano price wise so
11 speed is a logical step. Is up to us if they succeed.

Lou

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I don't know Tom. Who do you think is ripping you off at a price of $320?

I don't think anyone is ripping me off. After all I have the option to buy
or not according to my own standards.

So why do you believe that a cheaper 9-speed group which wears longer and
costs less would be some sort of anathema?

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I don't know Tom. Who do you think is ripping you off at a price of $320?

> I don't think anyone is ripping me off. After all I have the option to
> buy or not according to my own standards.
>
> So why do you believe that a cheaper 9-speed group which wears longer
> and costs less would be some sort of anathema?

I don't, but I think there is no market for another company to offer
such a group. See how much trouble SRAM has with their road stuff.

Lou

Lou Holtman wrote:

> Just to PO Campagnolo? They OFFER 11 speed, they don't put a gun to your
> head to buy it.

No, that would be Shimano ;-)

Shawn

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich wrote:
>> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> I don't know Tom. Who do you think is ripping you off at a price of
>>> $320?

>> I don't think anyone is ripping me off. After all I have the option to
>> buy or not according to my own standards.
>>
>> So why do you believe that a cheaper 9-speed group which wears longer and
>> costs less would be some sort of anathema?

> I don't, but I think there is no market for another company to offer such
> a group. See how much trouble SRAM has with their road stuff.

Firstly, SRAM knows that they won't explode on the market. Cyclists are
usually conservative and will take a while to move into the SRAM market. But
they will make it if they hang in there and supply GOOD equipment.

Secondly, we're talking a different market segment. I could see 7-speed and
then 8-speed and finally 9-speed because it required you to change your
cassette progressively less and less. However, with the advent of the
9-speed it no longer gave you any notable advantage to get 10 or now 11
speeds whereas the companies supplying these components intend eventually to
end production of the lesser speeds.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Is it really a shock that SRAM is small potatoes three years after they
> started?

I don't know but my feeling is that although we do a strong business
with SRAM in other areas, a new product introduction at Chorus price
level is tough work. Had they gone after the higher volume Centaur (or
even Veloce) price point first it may have fared better.

SRAM Red is cool but Record level customers haven't taken that leap as yet.

Regarding 'only 3 years', both STi and Ergo sold very well from their
inception.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> SRAM Red is cool but Record level customers haven't taken that leap as
> yet.
>
> Regarding 'only 3 years', both STi and Ergo sold very well from their
> inception.

But they were companies that were very well known and also they were
introduced when the 60's generation was riding mountain bikes and thinking
that anything "new" was good. That generation is older now and still the
majority of riders presently but they are now more conservative in buying
habits.

I expect SRAM to succeed though like you I think that it was unwise of them
to go after the top end market. Look at how Shimano did it - they couldn't
compete with Campy or Suntour so they slipped into the Mountain Bike
marketplace and before you know it they put Suntour out of business and
almost destroyed Campy as well.

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> I expect SRAM to succeed though like you I think that it was
> unwise of them to go after the top end market. Look at how Shimano
> did it - they couldn't compete with Campy or Suntour so they
> slipped into the Mountain Bike marketplace and before you know it
> they put Suntour out of business and almost destroyed Campy as
> well.

Shimano did introduce SIS (indexed shifting) with DuraAce in the pro
peloton, top down. Campagnolo only survived by image and
traditionalism of their (road) customer base until they caught up on
technology. SunTour was slightly behind on indexed shifting and
falied at first attempt, thus heavily losing in the OEM space.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei

On Jun 23, 2:34 pm, Helmut Springer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> > I expect SRAM to succeed though like you I think that it was
> > unwise of them to go after the top end market. Look at how Shimano
> > did it - they couldn't compete with Campy or Suntour so they
> > slipped into the Mountain Bike marketplace and before you know it
> > they put Suntour out of business and almost destroyed Campy as
> > well.

> Shimano did introduce SIS (indexed shifting) with DuraAce in the pro
> peloton, top down.  Campagnolo only survived by image and
> traditionalism of their (road) customer base until they caught up on
> technology.  SunTour was slightly behind on indexed shifting and
> falied at first attempt, thus heavily losing in the OEM space.

And when Campagnolo tried to "slip in to" the mountain bike market
place, it lost its shirt with Euclid. From my perspective, Shimano was
doing a fine job competing against Campagnolo before the mountain bike
craze. I bought my first Dura Ace group in '75 -- although I used a
SunTour derailleur. I also had an all Campy racing bike because that
is what you did back then. Your uber-bike had to have Campagnolo
equipment, even if the Shimano/SunTour set-up shifted better. Racing
on Japanese equipment was like not shaving your legs. Image did save
Campagnolo from financial ruin until it caught up with Shimano SIS/
STI. --- Jay Beattie.

Helmut Springer wrote:

> Shimano did introduce SIS (indexed shifting) with DuraAce in the pro
> peloton, top down.

after experiencing that they were getting nowhere with the Positron
bottom up approach ;)
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

In article
<fb9bb9e5-d3bb-4fcb-ad3d-15fe6bb8b539@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 8:07 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> > > I unfortunately don't have experience with modern brifter Campy, but
> > > anyone else found 9 speed Shimano is reliable and easy to tune while
> > > 10 speed is fiddly? It may be just my experience, and somebody
> > > certainly was going to do it (and Campy has been overshadowed by SRAM
> > > lately) but I'm not looking forward to skinnier, more expensive
> > > chains.

> > > Sure, I don't have to buy....

> > As for Campagnolo being 'overshadowed' by Sram, I don't get this.
> > Campagnolo does little to no OEM at any level, shimano does gobs. Many
> > bikes that were spec'ed with shimano 105/ultegra/DA came out in 2008
> > with Rival/Force/Red..who lost market share was shimano, not
> > Campagnolo. In our little microcosm of a bike shop where we start with
> > a frame, where we have all three shifter types on demo bikes, most
> > still opt for Campagnolo(85%), followed by shimano, Zero so far for
> > Sram this year.

> I don't have bicycle retaler-type info, but by "overshadowed" I just
> mean that, perception-wise, SRAM is seen as bold and new and exciting
> while Campy is staid. Riders are excited to try the SRAM stuff, right?
> I don't see how it's a better system, but that's not what I'm
> questioning here. I'm talking about interest and hype and how they
> likely correspond with sales.

Well, speaking for myself, I just really like the action of Campy
brifters, and prefer them (not greatly, but enough to seek them out)
over Shimano.

For me (admittedly, hardly the definition of a market-making parts
consumer), the long run that SRAM has is to show some obvious
superiority, most preferably in something like shifting performance or
"feel." Given the apparently absurd one-way mechanism SRAM uses for
shifting, I think I'll need a pretty convincing test ride before I even
consider it.

Conversely, the SRAM PowerDome is so obviously the way to build a
super-light cassette (at a steep price!) that if I cared about cassette
weights, it would be the only choice on my list.

> In turn, I'm starting to see more and more bikes in the NYC area
> outfitted with SRAM. Not saying it's better or worse, and maybe
> they're taking some of Shimano's market too, but I would think that
> since Campy sells less OEM (compared to Shimano) that they're probably
> suffering more from SRAM's entries into the market. Plus, SRAM sells a
> good deal of OEM MTB and department store Grip Shift stuff too, areas
> where, for better or worse and AFAIK, Campy has no offerings.

SRAM and Shimano pursue similar means to their goals of global
domination, but never underestimate how expensive it can be to make
cheap things, and how valuable the top of the market is.

To belabor an already cliche example from another industry, VW/Audi
(VAG, along with several subsidary marques) is a diversified automaker
that sells one of everything from subcompact cheapness to supercars.
Porsche is a niche builder that basically sells expensive sportscars,
very expensive sportscars, and very expensive and fast SUVs.

It is astoundingly-profitable Porsche that is currently contemplating
buying diversified VAG, and perhaps largely to absorb their American
CAFE liabilities.

> The number of Campy bikes with, say, FSA cranks, can't be helping
> either.

The idea of Total Integration is a concept that has waxed and waned.
"All Campy" used to be the phrase that pays, and when they said "all,"
they meant the seatpost, too.

> I'm not rooting against Campy by any means, just a few observations. I
> suspect that they may have been anxious that SRAM might come out with
> 11 speed and reinforce my first point that Campy hasn't done anything
> very exciting lately.

At the risk of being cynical, SRAM hasn't done anything very exciting
lately, either.

I agree that going to 11 dives deeply into "it's for selling" territory,
but as far as I can tell the three road group players are currently
trying to compete on weight and differentiate on shifter feel, with
occasional indeterminate forays into claiming superior shifting
performance, which is a rather more hazy argument.

Going to 11 is a simple (simplistic?) differentiator. I think that
electronic groups, for better or for worse, promise to be a much more
important sort of change.

Meanwhile, not to be left behind, Shimano is changing its pull ratio,
which is good because it probably will improve shifting quality, but bad
because it lets us play the Incompatability Game again.

M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Shimano did introduce SIS (indexed shifting) with DuraAce in the
>> pro peloton, top down.

> after experiencing that they were getting nowhere with the
> Positron bottom up approach ;)

Yup. Though when I got my first bottom line Bianchi with Positron I
always wondered why my friends with expensive shiny Campagnolo had
to fiddle with their downtube shifters when my system, cheap plastic
and steel, sat on the stem and simply clicked and did the job 8)

Still seeing Positron equiped bikes in daily usage here (Germany).

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei