Picture Trekking multi position bars on bike WHERE???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Box, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Robert Box

    Robert Box Guest

    Tags:

  2. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    I have some ina catalog I think. I can scan it and email it to you later.

    The way I have seen them set up was surprising to me. They are mounted with the curved extensions
    towards the back of the bike and you then install the shifters, brake levers and mtbb grips there.
    The rest of the bar is then covered with bar tape. I considered this odd since I ran Scott wrap
    around bars for so long that had the extension out towards the front.

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=92&subcategory=1049&sku=9756&brand=

  3. "Robert Box" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?
    >
    > Here are the bars if you are not farmiliar with them.
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=92&subcategory=1049&sku=9756&brand=

    Here's the best I can do:

    w.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47677190&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
    1&color=&img=/big/chips/704262_9724.JPG&view=large

    If there is an REI near you, you can see this bike in person.

    My wife and I have used these bars on our hybreds. They offer many hand positions, and though odd-
    looking are surprisingly comfortable and practical

  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Robert Box" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?
    cut.... http://www.fastload.net/03/one/picpages/bike.html This is a picture of a Giant I rode from
    Slough to Santiago that came with this type of bar. The bar is covered with foam tubing not tape.
    You may need a slightly longer stem when using them as the main riding position where brakes aand
    changers are is set back behind the stem. Also the order the changers and brakes are put on on each
    side of the bar is reversed.

    These bars are extremely comfortable for touring because they offer a multitude of hand positions.
    On both of my trips to Santiago I noticed that the majority of Dutch riders doing the pilgrimage on
    bespoke bikes have them fitted.

    My local LBS in the UK had no problems getting me these bars and the appropriate foam tubes when I
    fitted a set to another Bike I built. retep

  5. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    REI Safari bicycle has bars that look like that. Not all REI's carry it in stock. The picture on their site doesn't give you much to look at.
    There are a couple of shots of bars that look like them on a private sale site gallery at URL:
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/aiaboni/bike

  6. Robert Box

    Robert Box Guest

    "peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Robert Box" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?
    > cut.... http://www.fastload.net/03/one/picpages/bike.html This is a picture of a Giant I rode from
    > Slough to Santiago that came with this type of bar. The bar is covered with foam tubing not tape.
    > You may need a slightly longer stem when using them as the main riding position where brakes aand
    > changers are is set back behind the stem. Also the order the changers and brakes are put on on
    > each side of the bar is reversed.
    >
    > These bars are extremely comfortable for touring because they offer a multitude of hand positions.
    > On both of my trips to Santiago I noticed that the majority of Dutch riders doing the pilgrimage
    > on bespoke bikes have them fitted.
    >
    > My local LBS in the UK had no problems getting me these bars and the appropriate foam tubes when I
    > fitted a set to another Bike I built. retep

    Thanks for all the replys. I am considering a set since drops create too many wrist / hand
    problems for me.

  7. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

  8. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

  9. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Robert Box) writes:

    >Can anyone direct me to a picture of a bike with the trekking style bars installed on it?

    The other comments about the orientation of these bars agrees with our experiece. My wife had a bike
    that was too long for her comfort and these bars gave her a comfortable riding position on the
    regular grips as well as forward on the "extended" portion. The extended portion put her in the same
    position as she would have been in on bar ends. I put grips on the extended part as well . . . lube
    well with alcohol.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]