Pictures from the road

xilios

May 2, 2004
I am planing a tour from the South of Holland to Athens Greece this spring.
I'm new to touring also using a digital camera.
What is the best way to save, store and/or send pictures from the road?
Using a memory stick? Rewritable CD? Buying several momory cards and sending them home when full?
I would apreciate any tips. :)

On a short trip (two weeks or less) I usually carry enough media for my camera that I don't have to worry about running out of space.

On my trip across the USA in 2002, I carried a Digital Wallet from a company called MindStor. It was a portable disk drive that I used for storage of my pictures - I copied the pictures from the compact flash card to the MindStor, and was then able to re-use the space on the compact flash card. Unfortunately the company is no longer in business, but you might be able to find something similar.

If you're traveling through some decent sized cities, you may be able to stop and transfer your photos to a CD.

I wrote an article and posted it on crazyguyonabike.com about touring with a digital camera - there is one page in the article that discusses extra storage options. You may find some answers to your questions in the article, which you can find at http://digitalcameraontour.crazyguyonabike.com.