PIE

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jay, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. jay

    jay Guest

    Do not archive!!! (will this work?)
    FBI warning.. do not steal this recipe.. it is NOT mine and I don't
    remember where I stole it.

    The best/easiest pies ever!! .. chase it down with a DIET soda if you are
    on weight watcher. ####lol####

    Lemon Chess Pie

    1/2 stick butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    2 lemons, juice only
    1 scant tablespoon corn meal
    1 rich pie crust

    1. Work butter, sugar together. Break eggs into butter and sugar mixture,
    stir until well broken in. (do not beat)

    2. Add lemon juice and corn meal.

    3. Bake in a rich pie crust, moderate oven (350) about 45 minutes.

    Tags:

  2. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Wow, I've had lemon chess pie....is cornmeal a standard ingredient? I
    never woulda guessed!

    My Aunt Helen used to make a cornmeal pie that was quite good., Nothing
    like lemon chess, tho.

  3. On 4 Apr 2006 08:31:46 -0700, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wow, I've had lemon chess pie....is cornmeal a standard ingredient? I
    >never woulda guessed!
    >
    >My Aunt Helen used to make a cornmeal pie that was quite good., Nothing
    >like lemon chess, tho.

    I made a lemon chess pie about a month ago, from a recipe by Edna
    Lewis, from the book, The Gift of Southern Cooking. And it had
    cornmeal in it, as well as buttermilk. It was an incredibly good pie,
    and I got confirmation in that direction from another good pie maker.

    Christine

  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jay wrote:

    > Do not archive!!! (will this work?)
    > FBI warning.. do not steal this recipe.. it is NOT mine and I don't
    > remember where I stole it.
    >

    > The best/easiest pies ever!! .. chase it down with a DIET soda if you are
    > on weight watcher. ####lol####
    >

    > Lemon Chess Pie
    >
    > 1/2 stick butter
    > 1 1/2 cups sugar
    > 4 eggs
    > 2 lemons, juice only
    > 1 scant tablespoon corn meal
    > 1 rich pie crust
    >
    > 1. Work butter, sugar together. Break eggs into butter and sugar mixture,
    > stir until well broken in. (do not beat)
    >
    > 2. Add lemon juice and corn meal.
    >
    > 3. Bake in a rich pie crust, moderate oven (350) about 45 minutes.

    The ingredient listing is from my breadmachine manual. This is the
    listing for the filling without my modifications. It really is just a
    starting point as you could modified the filling in so many ways.

    The really condensed version - What you do is make your favourite pizza
    dough and divide it in two. Roll one piece of dough into a 18" x 12"
    rectangle and the other into a 10" x 5" rectangle. Put the larger
    rectangle into a greased loaf pan. Layer in filling. Top with the
    other and seal. Add steam slits and bake at 375 F until golden brown.

    Filling

    10 oz frozen spinach
    1/3 c grated parmesan
    1 egg
    1 tsp basil
    10 oz mozzarella, grated
    10 oz Italian sausage
    1 1/4 c pizza sauce
    1/3 c green peppers, sliced
    1/3 c mushrooms, sliced
    1/3 c onion, chopped

    --
    Theft of someone's intellectual property including digital images is
    copyright infringement contrary to DMCA of 1998. There is a two faced

  5. Biscuit

    Biscuit Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The ingredient listing is from my breadmachine manual. This is the
    > listing for the filling without my modifications. It really is just a
    > starting point as you could modified the filling in so many ways.

    And then said...

    > Theft of someone's intellectual property including digital images is
    > copyright infringement contrary to DMCA of 1998. There is a two faced
    > thief here who likes to harass others. Sarah Bennett is another thief on
    > rfc but worse. She steals pics then tries to sell them as her own. Some
    > here condone this behaviour. Shame on you!

    Kind of ironic that someone whe is so against "stealing intellectual
    property" would copy a published recipe verbatim. At least the source was
    sort of given credit.

  6. jay

    jay Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:31:46 -0700, Jude wrote:

    > Wow, I've had lemon chess pie....is cornmeal a standard ingredient? I
    > never woulda guessed!

    I don't know if it is standard. I think this was my great
    aunts recipe... doubt that she originated it. Without the cornmeal it is
    not as good.(forgot it before)

    Give it a try..you won't be sorry!

  7. aem

    aem Guest

    jay wrote:

    > I don't know if it is standard. I think this was my great
    > aunts recipe... doubt that she originated it. Without the cornmeal it is
    > not as good.(forgot it before)
    >
    > Give it a try..you won't be sorry!

    Think I will, as I need to find things to do with all the ripe fruit on
    the lemon tree. I'm going to add some lemon zest, though, as that
    always perks things up. -aem

  8. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Biscuit wrote:

    > "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>The ingredient listing is from my breadmachine manual. This is the
    >>listing for the filling without my modifications. It really is just a
    >>starting point as you could modified the filling in so many ways.

    Ingredient lists are not copyright protected. Check for yourself. I'm
    posting only the ingredients and the setting for baking along with in
    some cases very condensed instructions in my own words. All perfectly
    legal and no copyright infringement. Enjoy the Stuffed Pizza Pie.

    --
    Theft of someone's intellectual property including digital images is
    copyright infringement contrary to DMCA of 1998. There is a two faced
    thief here who likes to harass others. Sarah Bennett is another thief
    on rfc but worse. She steals pics then tries to sell them as her own.
    Some here condone this behaviour. Shame on you!

  9. jay

    jay Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:12:36 -0700, aem wrote:

    > jay wrote:

    >> Give it a try..you won't be sorry!

    > Think I will, as I need to find things to do with all the ripe fruit on
    > the lemon tree. I'm going to add some lemon zest, though, as that
    > always perks things up. -aem

    Absolutely on the zest..nice to have your own lemon factory. I love key
    (Mexican) limes and lemons. They can perk nearly anything up. ;)

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > jay wrote:
    >
    >> Do not archive!!! (will this work?)
    >> FBI warning.. do not steal this recipe.. it is NOT mine and I don't
    >> remember where I stole it.
    >>

    >> The best/easiest pies ever!! .. chase it down with a DIET soda if
    >> you are on weight watcher. ####lol####
    >>

    >> Lemon Chess Pie
    >>

    > The ingredient listing is from my breadmachine manual.

    Therefore you "stole" it from your bread machine manual? Hmmm.

    Jill

  11. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >
    >>jay wrote:
    >>

    >>>Do not archive!!! (will this work?)
    >>>FBI warning.. do not steal this recipe.. it is NOT mine and I don't
    >>>remember where I stole it.
    >>>

    >>>The best/easiest pies ever!! .. chase it down with a DIET soda if
    >>>you are on weight watcher. ####lol####
    >>>

    >>>Lemon Chess Pie
    >>>

    >>The ingredient listing is from my breadmachine manual.

    > Therefore you "stole" it from your bread machine manual? Hmmm.
    >
    > Jill

    Nope Jill. Lists of ingredients are not copyright protected. Some
    types of instructions are. Recipes present a different case in
    copyright which is why they are so freely passed around without a
    problem. I can point you to a link that indicates this or you can do
    the research youself. I've stolen nothing!

    --
    Theft of someone's digital images is copyright infringement contrary to
    DMCA of 1998. A two faced thief in rfc steals others digital images for
    then tries to sell them as her own. Some here condone this behaviour.
    Shame on you!

  12. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> ~patches~ wrote:

    >>> The ingredient listing is from my breadmachine manual.

    >> Therefore you "stole" it from your bread machine manual? Hmmm.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Nope Jill. Lists of ingredients are not copyright protected. Some
    > types of instructions are. Recipes present a different case in
    > copyright which is why they are so freely passed around without a
    > problem. I can point you to a link that indicates this or you can do
    > the research youself. I've stolen nothing!

    I'm a copywrited author so I am familiar with the nuts and bolts of (US)
    copywrite law. Was just being facecious.

  13. On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:37:45 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm a copywrited author so I am familiar with the nuts and bolts of (US)
    >copywrite law.

    I thought this would be best coming from a friend. It's copyright.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  14. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:37:45 -0500, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a copywrited author so I am familiar with the nuts and bolts of
    >> (US) copywrite law.

    > I thought this would be best coming from a friend. It's copyright.
    >
    > Carol

    Thanks! I tend to think of "writing" rather than "righting" when it comes
    to copyright, since that's what I've had copyrighted ;)

  15. jay

    jay Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:37:56 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On 4 Apr 2006 08:31:46 -0700, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Wow, I've had lemon chess pie....is cornmeal a standard ingredient? I
    >>never woulda guessed!
    >>
    >>My Aunt Helen used to make a cornmeal pie that was quite good., Nothing
    >>like lemon chess, tho.

    > I made a lemon chess pie about a month ago, from a recipe by Edna
    > Lewis, from the book, The Gift of Southern Cooking. And it had
    > cornmeal in it, as well as buttermilk. It was an incredibly good pie,
    > and I got confirmation in that direction from another good pie maker.
    >
    > Christine

    Buttermilk pie is good..and a lot of those recipes use lemon zest. The
    lemon chess pie I posted is much more lemony (2T lemon juice) than the
    buttermilk one. Lemon chess pie is the most requested dessert around our
    household. I am holding for blackberries now..<g>

  16. Jude

    Jude Guest

    jay wrote:

    > Buttermilk pie is good..and a lot of those recipes use lemon zest. The
    > lemon chess pie I posted is much more lemony (2T lemon juice) than the
    > buttermilk one. Lemon chess pie is the most requested dessert around our
    > household. I am holding for blackberries now..<g>

    Yeah, I did a few buttermilk pies a month or so ago, when we had most
    of a whole gallon of buttermilk needing to be used up (after the
    kiddo's science fair project!) I used Wayne's recipe for Buttermilk Pie
    and (shame on me) sandra Lee's recipe for Chocolate Buttermilk. But I
    LOVE lemon chess!

  17. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Wow, I've had lemon chess pie....is cornmeal a standard ingredient? I
    > never woulda guessed!
    >
    > My Aunt Helen used to make a cornmeal pie that was quite good., Nothing
    > like lemon chess, tho.

    =-------------------

    I've always put it in my Chess pies.

    I've never made a cornmeal pie but I have made a cornmeal pie crust for my
    Tomato Pies...
    Syssi
    (who may be going back to Cyndi....)

    Tomato Pie

    Cornmeal Pie Shell*
    6-8 med. tomatoes
    1/4 c mayonnaise (Miracle Whip Light!!)
    1/4 c sour cream (or plain yogurt)
    1 clove minced garlic
    Salt & Pepper
    2 TBSP butter
    1/2 c chopped green onions (top & bottoms)
    1/2 c soft (fresh) bread crumbs
    1/4 c chopped parsley
    1/4 c Parmesan Cheese

    Prepare and partially bake pie shell.

    Slice tomatoes 1/2" thick and layer in pie shell.
    Combine mayo, sour cream & garlic. Spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle with
    salt & pepper.

    Melt butter and saute green onions for a few minutes. Stir in bread crumbs,
    parsley, & cheese. Sprinkle over tomatoes.

    Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting
    and serving.

    *****
    CORNMEAL PIE SHELL

    Combine 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP flour and 2 TBSP yellow cornmeal.

    Remove and discard 2 heaping TBSP of the flour/cornmeal mix.

    Add 2 TBSP cold water to mix (more if necessary) and cut-in 6 TBSP butter.

    Mix all together and roll into a 10" circle. Fit into 9" pie pan.
    Trim/shape pie shell edges.

    Bake at 450 F. for 5 minutes.

    Edited version from a My Great Recipes recipe.

  18. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:39:38 GMT, "Syssi" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Combine 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP flour and 2 TBSP yellow cornmeal.
    >
    >Remove and discard 2 heaping TBSP of the flour/cornmeal mix.

    That's just weird. :)

    serene, who would save the stuff for the next batch of cornbread