Piece it together or buy a full bike?

jdraughn

Jul 15, 2006
I am just getting into this sport and I am wondering what kind of difference in price is there overall if you buy all the pieces of a bike (seat, wheels, crank, pedals, frame, ect...) or just buy a nice bike ready to go.

At the moment I am leaning torward the piece it together as you go that way I can start buying the pieces now and putting them on my current road bike frame. It's an old Puch, I believe made in the early 90s.

I would start with clipless pedals, then maybe go with some new wheels and tires.

By doing this I can probably afford to get an overall better bike because each of the individual components could be better then what comes on the ready to go bike off the shelf because I can afford to pay an extra 100.00 or 200.00 toward the wheels alone, ect...

Any thoughts torward this? Over the years were there any major changes that would not allow me to put high end bike components on an old Puch frame? Or would they still be compatiable with each other?

Thanks

James

Sn4fu

May 7, 2006
It's always better to buy the full bike. You will end up paying a more if you buy the components seperately. Waiting sucks, but you'll be better of saving up for it.
There's pretty much zero chance of most new parts fitting that frame. If you buy in pieces, start with a frame.

jdraughn

Jul 15, 2006
Alright, thanks for the info. I suppose I should at least get the pedals, no sense in not training my hamstrings for the year or so it's going to take for me to save up.

Sn4fu said:
It's always better to buy the full bike. You will end up paying a more if you buy the components seperately. Waiting sucks, but you'll be better of saving up for it.
There's pretty much zero chance of most new parts fitting that frame. If you buy in pieces, start with a frame.