Piepoli confessed

Crankyfeet said:
The story seems to suggest that it wasn't a team sanctioned program. If Piepoli is confessing to his DS (Matxin).... "I have done the same as Ricco" ... then it seems that the two cyclists (at least) were organizing it themselves without team knowledge.
lol

when Aaron Olsen was on the team in 2006 he said that Matxin, Gianetti et al, asked him if he needed "help", encouraged him to seek "help" and could find the people to provide it.

Olsen went to TMobile in 2007. Clean rider.

thunder said:
lol

when Aaron Olsen was on the team in 2006 he said that Matxin, Gianetti et al, asked him if he needed "help", encouraged him to seek "help" and could find the people to provide it.

Olsen went to TMobile in 2007. Clean rider.
Charles Dionne was on SD in 2006 and he too says he wasn't at all surprised about the news and that perhaps now people understand why he left SD after that year...
summary or here (original in French).

confusedfan said:
Charles Dionne was on SD in 2006 and he too says he wasn't at all surprised about the news and that perhaps now people understand why he left SD after that year...
I'd like those guys that defended Mayo as innocent to resurrect themselves.

confusedfan said:
Have something even "hotter" from French ex-rider Stéphane Heulot (in yesterday's Ouest France), who worked as PR for Saunier Duval from 2005 til 2007.

Check here:

Summary:
Gianetti was still working like in old days, he was Heulot's team mate, when he fell in coma due to heavy dope usage (PFC). Saunier Duval CEO asked Heulot for help in 2005, because guys who has signed partnership contract Gianetti/SD were gone. Contract could not be undone, unless rider caught by justice (Mayo case not finished yet). After SD victories this year in TDF, CEO Leroy called again Heulot for opinion. Heulot said, no chance victories were due to other teams being less "charged"...

And best for last. Heulot: "In Hautacam, I ignored the 3 in the front...it's only behind them, that I saw clean cycling again!!" Well, from the 3, there is one left now.

adamastor said:
Have something even "hotter" from French ex-rider Stéphane Heulot (in yesterday's Ouest France), who worked as PR for Saunier Duval from 2005 til 2007.

Check here:

Summary:
Gianetti was still working like in old days, he was Heulot's team mate, when he fell in coma due to heavy dope usage (PFC). Saunier Duval CEO asked Heulot for help in 2005, because guys who has signed partnership contract Gianetti/SD were gone. Contract could not be undone, unless rider caught by justice (Mayo case not finished yet). After SD victories this year in TDF, CEO Leroy called again Heulot for opinion. Heulot said, no chance victories were due to other teams being less "charged"...

And best for last. Heulot: "In Hautacam, I ignored the 3 in the front...it's only behind them, that I saw clean cycling again!!" Well, from the 3, there is one left now.
Thanks adamastor.

So it seems from reading a babelfished translation... that S-D wanted to get out as sponsor some time ago... but Gianetti had them contracted... which could only be broken if the team had an official dope positive conviction. Mayo was absolved... but this (Ricco, Piepoli) is obviously the end of S-D's sponsorship.

From the article... Heulot relates that S-D knew very little about cycling.

confusedfan said:
Dionne doesn't have the purest reputation you know. He was on the Saturn and webcor teams with Horner. Rumors were floating around when they were dominating....

earth_dweller said:
Dionne doesn't have the purest reputation you know. He was on the Saturn and webcor teams with Horner. Rumors were floating around when they were dominating....
How do you think this looks for Millar?? Not great in my opinion. It is obvious drug were rife in the team for a few years

de don said:
How do you think this looks for Millar?? Not great in my opinion. It is obvious drug were rife in the team for a few years
well, it could be looked at both ways that he left the team because doping was so rife who knows.

But Millar has been yapping that the Beltran and Duenas should talk and say everything.. of course this was before Ricco and SD got caught. Say David, how about you talk about what was going on at SD?

earth_dweller said:
well, it could be looked at both ways that he left the team because doping was so rife who knows.

But Millar has been yapping that the Beltran and Duenas should talk and say everything.. of course this was before Ricco and SD got caught. Say David, how about you talk about what was going on at SD?

I thought he had said words to the effect that it must have been isolated and that his old DS was a good feller, etc. I'll see if I can find it.

There was someone on Garmin who implied to SI that the old team he rode for was dirty, but the rider wasn't named. Millar was an obvious candidate, Vande Velde possible, others?

Millar might be saying different things to different people, for his own reasons. But I am sceptical [about him]; it isn't sensible to be otherwise in this sport.

edit:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/news/?id=/news/2008/jul08/jul18news
However, Millar believes that Mauro Gianetti, Saunier Duval's team manager, has good intentions and Riccò was more likely misled by others.

"I think that Mauro Gianetti has been taken advantage of and he is someone I have a lot of respect for," said Millar. "He does not deserve this and he has a good heart. He has perhaps put a lot of trust in people that he shouldn't have and he will learn from this.

"I guarantee - you watch Mauro - he will have an independent anti-doping programme within the team by the end of the year. He was close to doing it last year, and now he is going to have to extend his budget and get that programme in place. It is by doing that the sport will change."

earth_dweller said:

Dueñas already confessed, and said he got his stuff with our old Jesus Losa.

Drongo said:
I thought he had said words to the effect that it must have been isolated and that his old DS was a good feller, etc. I'll see if I can find it.

There was someone on Garmin who implied to SI that the old team he rode for was dirty, but the rider wasn't named. Millar was an obvious candidate, Vande Velde possible, others?

Millar might be saying different things to different people, for his own reasons. But I am sceptical [about him]; it isn't sensible to be otherwise in this sport.

edit:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/news/?id=/news/2008/jul08/jul18news
From what I've read in other articles, Gianetti is rotten to the core, so is Millar naive?

earth_dweller said:
From what I've read in other articles, Gianetti is rotten to the core, so is Millar naive?
People have an amazing capacity to believe what they want to believe, so maybe... But I doubt it.

Which raises some questions about Millar, as you've said.

earth_dweller said:
There may be many managers and DSes that, although they took anything and everything while they were riding, have seen the light and realized that their own future requires the sport to clean up (to a degree). With sponsors droping, many have a vested interest in not having any scandal. Riis appears to fit this mold. Perhaps some of these guys had so much help from their own team while doping, they think they have a lot more influence than they really do.

I tend to think most management is in plausible deniability mode, though.

millar was dropping major hints last year that he suspected several riders on s-d were riding hot. i can't remember where i read it (probably cyclingnews.com), but i do remember reading that he felt isolated and with a good deal of unease about how clean the team really was.

You know, there is something about Millar that irks me. He gets caught by the French police with EPO all over his house. And to my recollection, he did not point fingers at anyone. He was another guy who picked his gear up as it fell from the sky. Only at that point does he 'confess' to anything. Returns to cycling after his ban as Mr. Anti-doping. Never actually does anything in racing terms since he has been back.

Meh. He is, IMHO, a two-faced character who's only claim is to have been smart enough to realise his only way to stay in the peloton as anything beyond a domestique was to buy his way into a team and claim the cape of leading anti doping rider.

If Basso comes back and starts yelling to all he is against doping, would anyone on this forum give him the same credit that Millar is getting? Honestly...