'Pillows From Heaven'

Bob

Guest
or recipe from Hell?

/abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
1.html

BOB wrote:
> or recipe from Hell?
>
> bcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
> 1.html

Did you get the idea from the article that the whole
magazine was an April Fool's edition or just that one
recipe?

--Lia

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:05:52 -0500, " BOB" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>or recipe from Hell?
>
>abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
>1.html

This reminds me of the recipe for fried chicken that Jill
posted a week or two ago: "Heat the frying oil. When water
sizzles in the oil, it's ready.".

What possibly culinary advantage could be achieved by
boiling water and shortening for 5 minutes? Absolutely
nothing. The recipe is certainly suspicious, it being the
April 1st issue 'n all.

-sw

On 2004-04-04, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> or recipe from Hell?

Wow! That's the most fun since strawberry poptarts in the
toaster. ;)

nb

BOB wrote:
> bcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
> 1.html

"L E W I S V I L L E, Texas, April 1..."

Enough said. Even without looking at the flames inserted by
Photoshop I know where this story came from.

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
[email protected]

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:26:57 GMT, Julia Altshuler
<[email protected]> wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>> or recipe from Hell?
>>
>> cnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
>> 1.html
>>

>Did you get the idea from the article that the whole
>magazine was an April Fool's edition or just that one
>recipe?
>
>--Lia
Um, if you go to the Southern Living website
(southernliving.com) they've got a disclaimer and warning
on the front page to not use the recipe on page 154 for
"Icebox Rolls".

Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but the
surest way to tell is to check a copy of the April issue of
SL and see if the recipe does indeed appear on page 154 with
the allegedly dangerous directions. If it does, it's no
prank, but a potentially serious, if not deadly, mistake.

Cathy

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 06:43:43 GMT, cathy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but
>the surest way to tell is to check a copy of the April
>issue of SL and see if the recipe does indeed appear on
>page 154 with the allegedly dangerous directions. If it
>does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if not
>deadly, mistake.

The story is real - they did publish it. What was probably a
joke was the person who submitted it. It's be interesting to
see the context in which it was published - reader
submission, or part of a more credible article?

Like I said - there is no culinary advantage of boiling lard
and water for 5 minutes. Heck, even the name of the recipe
is suspicious (liek: prepare to die - now I lay me down to
sleep - if I die before I wake.., etc..).

"Pillows from heaven" is commonly used to describe ravioli,
not dinner rolls, FWIW.

-sw

cathy wrote:

> Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but
> the surest way to tell is to check a copy of the April
> issue of SL and see if the recipe does indeed appear on
> page 154 with the allegedly dangerous directions. If it
> does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if not
> deadly, mistake.

Why would a recipe call for simmering fat and water? Is
there any method to this madness? blacksalt

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 06:43:43 GMT, cathy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but
> >the surest way to tell is to check a copy of the April
> >issue of SL and see if the recipe does indeed appear on
> >page 154 with the allegedly dangerous directions. If it
> >does, it's no prank, but a potentially serious, if not
> >deadly, mistake.
>
> The story is real - they did publish it. What was probably
> a joke was the person who submitted it. It's be
> interesting to see the context in which it was published -
> reader submission, or part of a more credible article?
>
> Like I said - there is no culinary advantage of boiling
> lard and water for 5 minutes. Heck, even the name of the
> recipe is suspicious (liek: prepare to die - now I lay me
> down to sleep - if I die before I wake.., etc..).
>
> "Pillows from heaven" is commonly used to describe
> ravioli, not dinner rolls, FWIW.
>
> -sw

"Angel biscuits", a kind of cross between a baking soda
biscuit and a yeasted roll sounds a bit like "pillows from
heaven". I recall getting these in New York. In my mind I
associated them with Southern blacks. blacksalt yes, I know
this is probably the PC term dejour, but the blacks I know
call themselves that, just as the (American) Indians I know
call themselves Indians.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Like I said - there is no culinary advantage of boiling
> lard and water for 5 minutes.

Well...if it's lard, such an operation could plausibly be
intended to deodorize the lard. Freshly melted lard,
especially if it has a little age to it, smells like a hog
rendering plant.

BUT... Southern Living, who boasts of their test kitchens,
has NO EXCUSE not to have tested the recipe unless they,
too, were in on the April Fool.

"John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BOB wrote:
> > news.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
> > 1.html
>
> "L E W I S V I L L E, Texas, April 1..."
>
> Enough said. Even without looking at the flames inserted
> by Photoshop I know where this story came from.

The flames appear to be coming from what looks like a camp
stove burner (or hotplate? it's hard to tell, except I can't
see any electric cord) beneath the pot. What appears to have
happened is the heat was cranked up high and the hot fat,
propelled by violently boiling water beneath it, ran over
onto the burner and there it heated up further until it
reached its flash point (hot enough to smoke -- more than
200 degrees Fahrenheit over the boiling point of water) and
THEN ignited.

An attentive cook, using low heat and constantly watching
the saucepan, would be unlikely to experience a problem.
I've had pasta water pots to which cooking oil had been
poured, boil over onto both gas and electric coil burners
with nary a fire, only a messy burner which was a pain to
clean. But a novice, simply reading that it is to be boiled
and so puts the pot on a burner turned to maximum heat and
leaves it while distracted by other kitchen tasks, could be
in for a rude surprise.

When I read this article

>> cnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
>> 1.html

I got the idea it was an April Fool joke and couldn't figure
out whose.

Yesterday I saw a short notice about recalling the magazine
in my local newspaper. From that, I got the idea that it has
nothing to do with April Fool and that it was a plain
mistake from an incompetent chef or copy editor. The
directions were supposed to read that one pours boiling
water over the lard away from the heat source. That would
effectively melt the lard and not be dangerous. When they're
boiled together, the fat rises to the top, and the water
boils from underneath causing explosions of hot fat which
stick and burn when coming into contact with people.

Next question: Does the recalled magazine (I don't
subscribe) become a collector's edition worth triple the
price and sold on ebay?

--Lia

BOB wrote:
> or recipe from Hell?
>
> bcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Living/exploding_recipe_040401-
> 1.html

How funny! I'm glad I've only been tempted to try a couple
of recipes from Southern Living and that was NOT one of
them. However, I did not get a postcard from them stating
this recipe was dangerous.

Jill

kalanamak wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 06:43:43 GMT, cathy
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Granted, that could be part of an April Fools joke, but
>>> the surest way to tell is to check a copy of the April
>>> issue of SL

>> The story is real - they did publish it. What was
>> probably a joke was the person who submitted it.
(snip blethering)

> "Angel biscuits", a kind of cross between a baking soda
> biscuit and a yeasted roll sounds a bit like "pillows from
> heaven". I recall getting these in New York. In my mind I
> associated them with Southern blacks. blacksalt yes, I
> know this is probably the PC term dejour, but the blacks I
> know call themselves that, just as the (American) Indians
> I know call themselves Indians.

Funny, I'll have to ask the blacks where I work if they call
themselves "Southern Blacks". Somehow, I don't think so ;)
But then again, I seem to know more about black history and
heritage than they do. Case in point: I attended a black
wedding where they 'jumped the broom' as part of the
ceremony. Come to find out they had no idea where that idea
came from, they just did it because the wedding planner and
her mother said that's the way it's done.

Angel biscuits, in my recollection have baking soda but also
a bit of cream of tartar in them to make them rise higher,
sort of like scones.

Jill

kalanamak <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "Angel biscuits", a kind of cross between a baking soda
> biscuit and a yeasted roll sounds a bit like "pillows from
> heaven". I recall getting these in New York. In my mind I
> associated them with Southern blacks.

Southerners yes, I don't know about specifically Southern
blacks. The first place I saw the recipe was in Bill Neal's
"Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie," which, as you
may guess, is about southern baking. I think they're also
called "Bride's biscuits," from which, If I remember right,
Neal guesses that the combinaiton of baking powder and yeast
may have been a form of insurance.

> blacksalt yes, I know this is probably the PC term dejour,
> but the blacks I know call themselves that, just as the
> (American) Indians I know call themselves Indians.

-bwg