Pin hitting front derailleur

KevinJ

Jul 12, 2010
I've just replaced my cassette, chain, and middle chainring of my 27 speed roadbike, as well as the shifter cables. I also messed about with the front derailleur height. Now when I try to shift to my large ring, the long pin (aligned with the crank arm) collides with the front derailleur cage. I can't figure out what I've done wrong! Can anybody give me a clue?

KevinJ said:
I've just replaced my cassette, chain, and middle chainring of my 27 speed roadbike, as well as the shifter cables. I also messed about with the front derailleur height. Now when I try to shift to my large ring, the long pin (aligned with the crank arm) collides with the front derailleur cage. I can't figure out what I've done wrong! Can anybody give me a clue?

Front derailleur is too low. See this page at Park Tool for instructions on how to setup and adjust a front derailleur.

KevinJ said:
While the front derailleur may be too low, it sounds as though you re-installed the outer chainring inside-out.
The "long pin" should be on the outside of the chainring and its purpose is to keep the chain from becoming wedged between the crankarm & chainring if it/(the chain) were to come off on the outside of the outer chainring.

Yes raise the dearilleur (shoud be around 1-2mm above the teeth on the big ring) AND orient the big ring so that the "drop-stop" pin is pointing outwards at the back of the crank arm.

While returning from my ~50mi ride from High Springs, Fl to Lake City and back I was almost hit on the very last mile of my own damn dirt road. I was coming westbound on the hard part of the right side of my road and this truck was sitting on their driveway about a quarter mile away from me at the point where I noticed them. I proceeded on my marry way and about 50 feet from the driveway the truck pulls out. The truck proceeds in my direction and I thought that maybe they were texting or something and would correct and get on their side of the road. But oh no nope not gonna happen, this asshole comes straight at me I swerve last second because it is a dirt road and turning in sand on 1 1/4" tires is all but impossible. My question is should I phone it in?

Welcome to the land of cycling. The first of many motor vehicle infractions you will encounter. Your best offense is your own defense keep your eyes open for vehicles and never depend on them to compensate for you. You can try to report the vehicle to the FHP nothing will come of it.

If you have videos go for it. My guess is that you don't so save the time effort and consider it ongoing educational training.

Yep, unless you have evidence you'd probably be wasting your time calling the FHP.

Good thing you were able avoid injury!

I was once run off the road by a highway tractor. And if that wasn't enough, he pulled over in front of me and starting poking his finger in my chest. I quietly took it and went directly over to the local police detachement to report him. I gave the policeman the whole story and felt suspicious that he wasn't going to do anything about it, so I took it upon myself to contact the trucking company. Just as I suspected, that was the first they had heard of the issue. The dispatcher was kind enough to probe into it and based on the location and time of the incident, was able to figure out who the driver was. I at least hope that driver got a talking to, but who knows.

If you do report it, hopefully your highway patrol is more diligent in following through on complaints.... but don't count on it.

Now I ride rollers.