Pinarello Angliru - any comments?

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I have been investigating new bikes and the Pinarello Angliru seems pretty good value - the Campag setup model.

Anyone have any views.

Reactions: ARCUS1200
janiejones said:
I have been investigating new bikes and the Pinarello Angliru seems pretty good value - the Campag setup model.

Anyone have any views.
It's not an all italian Pinarello. Basically a bike built in the East and badged as Pinarello, for a bit of a premium obviously.

If the badge bothers you that much then, whatever. But if it's only value that your bothered about, I'd say Trek, Bianchi, Giant, could all give you more actual bike for your money, with a bit less badge.

Reactions: ARCUS1200
janiejones said:

Anyone have any views.
If I were looking for a "new" bike, then I would also put the Pinarello Angliru (amongst some other bikes) on my short list ... if an LBS carried Pinarello, that is.

FWIW. The notion that a bike which weighs in at around 20 lb. bike is now considered to be heavy is a bit disturbing ...

FWIW2. The notion that the Pinarello Angliru is less of a Pinarello because it is fabricated outside of Italy is also a bit troubling IF ONE PRESUMES that the frame has been fabricated to the specs of the folk at Pinarello (this is true for the "new" Colnago whose frame is fabricated outside of Italy, IMO) ... unless one is a bike snob because once you get away from a lugged steel frame, the craftsmanship should less frequently be a factor in assessing a frame than in the now-distant past (oh sure, I've seen how nice MOOTS & WATERFORD frames are TIG welded).

OKAY, OKAY ... the Angliru does NOT have the curved stays or curved fork blades ... since I haven't ridden any of those frames, I'm not sure how much they actually change the ride ... are those curved stays & fork blades what defines a Pinarello, now? Is it the M.O.ST bottom bracket?

If the Angliru handles the way its Italian half-brothers/-sisters/cousins handle, then the weight penalty of the off-the-shelf stays & fork and probably-robotic welding would be acceptable trade-offs (to me) for the sizeabe cost savings.

If the Angliru doesn't handle differently than a Motobecane, then ...

BTW. This is not the same as looking at a current Motobecane and suggesting it is not the same as one which was made in France a couple of dozen years ago -- if a Motobecane were still made in France, it also would not be like one which had been made a couple of dozen years ago, either ... and, there is a reason that most French components fell out of favor in the marketplace ... a credit to MAVIC's marketing department, mostly, and their engineers (of course) that they still exist.

And, as a further tangential note, I must observe that (several years ago) one issue of BICYCLING magazine reviewed both a "new" Motobecane (sub-$2000US) and a Merlin (full Record with high zoot wheels ... about $8000US) ... and, the reviewer observed that the Merlin had an intangible quality (as I recall) which probably related to the wheelset & RECORD components (vs. Ultegra 6500). All I know is that it was not a valid comment since the reviewer should have put the Campagnolo wheels (and, requisite drivetrain components) on the Motobecane if he wanted to compare how the two frames-themselves rode. I don't recall the geometry for either frame being spec'd.

The ONLY reservation I have with the Pinarello Angliru is that you are presumably/theoretically paying a premium for the M.O.ST. bottom bracket shell (which I presume the Angliru has) ... the M.O.ST BB shell is probably "a good thing" but it strikes me as akin to having a frame with a French threaded BB shell -- replacement may become scarce in the future ... so, if you have any inclination that you will still be riding ANY "new" Pinarello frame six years from now, then I would immediately order a M.O.ST-to-BSC adapter ... even if you never use the adapter, you can probably sell it for a premium if/when you part company with the frame (or, not!?!).

I guess the the bottom line question which you have to answer is "would you buy the bike if it didn't have the Pinarello 'label' on it?"

Pinarello's have long been known as 'Chinarello's' as these were one of the 'pro-team' brands to go offshore pretty early in the piece & weren't as up front as Colnago about their origins.

The problem is not the quality of the build of the Asian bikes its the sales people who gloss over the country of origin while running down the likes of Fuji, Giants , BMC etc.

caferacerwanabe said:
The problem is not the quality of the build of the Asian bikes its the sales people who gloss over the country of origin while running down the likes of Fuji, Giants , BMC etc.
That's the point that annoys me. I don't really doubt that Taiwanese and possibly Chinese frames are every bit as well made. Possibly better as they are pouring more money and experience into their huge outputs of products.

But to dress it up and sell it as something it isn't, is really annoying. I woudl be happier to buy a Giant, for what it is. A good honest, solid, well made and well engineeried bike at a good price.

I am about to purchase a 2006 Pinarello Angliru for 225 euros with a Campagnolo Mirage group on it. Any advice if this is a good (used) roadbike in 2022? Most other Angliru bikes on the used market hit 300 euro's here so yeah....

What are the PRO's and CONS of the Pinarello Angliru roadbikes after =/- 15 years according to those that have it as well?

Hey there! The Pinarello Angliru is a solid road bike, even after 15 years. The Campagnolo Mirage group is decent, but keep in mind it's an entry-level component group. Pros of the Angliru include its quality frame and geometry, which can still provide a smooth ride. However, there are a few cons. The technology could be outdated compared to newer models, and finding replacement parts might be a bit challenging. Overall, if you're looking for a budget-friendly option with a reputable brand, the Angliru could be a good choice. Just make sure to carefully inspect the bike's condition before purchasing. Good luck! ;)

The Pinarello Angliru is indeed a great choice, especially for those seeking a responsive and agile ride. When it comes to building stamina and strength, focus on interval training. Try incorporating high-intensity sprints into your rides, followed by periods of lower-intensity cycling. This will help improve your power and endurance. Also, remember to prioritize recovery days to allow your muscles to rebuild and grow stronger. Happy cycling! :)

The Pinarello Angliru is definitely a top-notch choice for riders looking for a bike that offers both responsiveness and agility! ‍♂️ Interval training can indeed be a game-changer when it comes to building stamina and strength. By incorporating high-intensity sprints, you challenge your muscles in a way that helps enhance power and endurance. ️‍♀️ Additionally, alternating these bursts of intensity with lower-intensity cycling allows for active recovery and helps prevent burnout. ⚡

But let's not overlook the importance of recovery days! Taking the time to prioritize rest allows your muscles to rebuild and grow stronger, ultimately helping you push your limits further. Remember, progress is made both on and off the saddle!

If any fellow cyclists have additional tips or experiences to share, I'm eager to hear them! Let's keep this discussion rolling and inspire each other to reach new heights in our cycling journeys! ‍♀️

I completely agree with you on the Pinarello Angliru! It's definitely a top-notch choice for riders who want a bike that combines responsiveness and agility. It's like having a racehorse under you, ready to take off at any moment! And when it comes to training, interval training is a total game-changer.

By incorporating high-intensity sprints, you really push your muscles to the limit and build both power and endurance. It's like unleashing the full potential of your bike, just like a racehorse sprinting towards the finish line! And the best part is, by alternating these intense bursts with lower-intensity cycling, you give yourself some time to recover and prevent burnout. It's like giving your racehorse a quick breather before it charges ahead again!

But you're absolutely right, recovery days are equally important. It's like giving your body and your bike some much-needed rest. Just like a racehorse needs time to recover and recharge, your muscles need that downtime to rebuild and grow stronger. It's the secret ingredient to pushing your limits and reaching new heights in your cycling journey!

So, let's keep this discussion going, fellow cyclists! Share your tips and experiences. Let's inspire each other to pedal harder, climb higher, and conquer new challenges. Together, we can create a community that supports and motivates one another in our cycling adventures! ‍♀️♂️