Pinarello Dogma Or Colnago C50?

Pinarello Dogma Or Colnago C50?

• Dogma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C50

Votes: 11 100.0%

• Total voters
A few days ago I got it a bit wrong and had a slow speed crash into a soft hedge. The result? A few scratches on me from the brambles, both wheels undamaged, and my lightly used 9 month old Colnago C50 frame snapped in two places like a few, cheap matches. I am astonished that such a light impact could cause such devastating damage. Like the frame, my confidence in Colnago is shattered. Had the frame been steel I am in no doubt that I would have been able to continue cycling without a second thought. In case you’re wondering I’m only 160 pounds.

strawpanda said:
A few days ago I got it a bit wrong and had a slow speed crash into a soft hedge. The result? A few scratches on me from the brambles, both wheels undamaged, and my lightly used 9 month old Colnago C50 frame snapped in two places like a few, cheap matches. I am astonished that such a light impact could cause such devastating damage. Like the frame, my confidence in Colnago is shattered. Had the frame been steel I am in no doubt that I would have been able to continue cycling without a second thought. In case you’re wondering I’m only 160 pounds.
Yeah CF is pretty crappy under certain conditions and applications. I have a 2004 Dogma with the carbon chain stays and I hope I never have the same problem... where exactly did the frame break?

The top tube and the down tube both snapped around their respective lugs where they join the head tube leaving me distinctly unimpressed. IF a repair is possible it will be very expensive. You don't see any of this in the adverts:mad:.

boudreaux said:
You are spending that much loot and trolling for opinions ??? Gimme a break.
LOL, stop it, you are sounding like boudreaux... :p After all, he not only cannot decide, but also needs the newsgroup to select the color.

In any event, a predominantly bright red C-50 would be my choice. Hate that wavy fork thing.

strawpanda said:
Here are the photos:
Wow... and I must say you were right about if it were steel, I mean look at those puny steel cables without a scratch still holding the bike together. ;)

OK now tell us what really happened... you had it on your roof rack and drove into the garage didn't you? :D Well even if what you said really did happen, you either had some unknown to you prior damage or that is an isolated case of manufacturing defect. There is no way that would ever happen under the conditions you describe without something already VERY wrong with that frame.

wilmar13 said:
Wow... and I must say you were right about if it were steel, I mean look at those puny steel cables without a scratch still holding the bike together. ;)

OK now tell us what really happened... you had it on your roof rack and drove into the garage didn't you? :D Well even if what you said really did happen, you either had some unknown to you prior damage or that is an isolated case of manufacturing defect. There is no way that would ever happen under the conditions you describe without something already VERY wrong with that frame.
I have neither a roof rack nor a garage. Perhaps you struggle to accept the truth but it happened as I have already explained it and there was a neutral witness.

strawpanda said:
I have neither a roof rack nor a garage. Perhaps you struggle to accept the truth but it happened as I have already explained it and there was a neutral witness.
Easy trigger, I was just kidding...:confused:

All I am saying is that by what you described there was clearly some preexisting problem with this frame. Despite my latest experience with a CF wheel exploding, CF does not just snap in two if you sneeze on it.

Did you buy this new? What is Colnago saying about it?

wilmar13 said:
Easy trigger, I was just kidding...:confused:

All I am saying is that by what you described there was clearly some preexisting problem with this frame. Despite my latest experience with a CF wheel exploding, CF does not just snap in two if you sneeze on it.

Did you buy this new? What is Colnago saying about it?
Slightly s/h on eBay, waiting for the Colnago response, read the whole story here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=119210&page=1&pp=25

strawpanda said:
Slightly s/h on eBay, waiting for the Colnago response, read the whole story here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=119210&page=1&pp=25
Ok well after reading through that thread, I can see why you are so defensive about insinuations your story isn't legit. Good learning experience though, and I hope you understand why people are so suspicious of your story. If you wouldn't have just signed up to post this story (on several forums) and made the comment about steel I don't think people would be giving you such a hard time... You had a little too much (understandable) emotion clouding the objectivity of your post and come across as someone trying to smear Colnago and CF in general but I believe this was unintentional.

I am willing to bet that worst case Colnago will be willing to give you another frame at a discount and if you are really lucky, they will fix the problem (although unless it is an obvious manufacturing defect, since the frame history is unknown it would be very generous to do so)... I agree with the poster that said if it is a manufacturing defect they should replace it warranty or not... the question is whether it is manufacturing defect, or previous damage and you will need to send it back to them to determine. The only thing I am positive of (well 99.999% sure ;) ) is that your crash did not cause this failure to a healthy frame.

wilmar13 said:
Ok well after reading through that thread, I can see why you are so defensive about insinuations your story isn't legit. Good learning experience though, and I hope you understand why people are so suspicious of your story. If you wouldn't have just signed up to post this story (on several forums) and made the comment about steel I don't think people would be giving you such a hard time... You had a little too much (understandable) emotion clouding the objectivity of your post and come across as someone trying to smear Colnago and CF in general but I believe this was unintentional.

I am willing to bet that worst case Colnago will be willing to give you another frame at a discount and if you are really lucky, they will fix the problem (although unless it is an obvious manufacturing defect, since the frame history is unknown it would be very generous to do so)... I agree with the poster that said if it is a manufacturing defect they should replace it warranty or not... the question is whether it is manufacturing defect, or previous damage and you will need to send it back to them to determine. The only thing I am positive of (well 99.999% sure ;) ) is that your crash did not cause this failure to a healthy frame.
Maybe a Brit being honest, truthful, polite and avoiding excessive language has confused some of the lynch mob!

Colnago are being very professional and businesslike. I will be meeting with the UK distributors next week to work out a solution to this situation and I am confident that we will be able to agree something that we can all live with.

I have decided to purchase the Colnago C50.thanks to all who have contributed in this thread.thank you. :)

strawpanda said:
Colnago are being very professional and businesslike. I will be meeting with the UK distributors next week to work out a solution to this situation and I am confident that we will be able to agree something that we can all live with.
Would like to know what Colnago UK reps have to say. From your scary photos, it appears to me that the bike had a massive, sudden frontal impact, as in hitting a high curb or wall straight on at 10 mph. Of course, if you bought the bike used, you have no way of knowing what prior abuse it went through.

dhk said:
Would like to know what Colnago UK reps have to say. From your scary photos, it appears to me that the bike had a massive, sudden frontal impact, as in hitting a high curb or wall straight on at 10 mph. Of course, if you bought the bike used, you have no way of knowing what prior abuse it went through.

Yeah...if it isn't defective, the guy you bought it from probably had an accident and did a great job gluing it back together to look like new :D Just be glad it happened as it did, rather than screaming down a mountain at 90kmph or out of the saddle sprinting at 60kph :eek:

waki said:
I have decided to purchase the Colnago C50.thanks to all who have contributed in this thread.thank you. :)
You haven't bought the bike yet???!!! :eek:

this thread started last October :D