Pinarello Frame

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Ssushi, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Ssushi

Ssushi New Member

I'm thinking of fullfilling my road bike dream and buying a Pinarello frame, either a Paris Carbon or a F4:13 carbon.

The only difference between the two seems to be the grade of carbon used:

46HM3K or 30HM3K

Does anyone know anything about the differences?

Thanks

Ssushi

Tags:

2. fredf

fredf New Member

I just bought a Paris Carbon and am picking it up this weekend. Yes, as far as I know the only difference is the grade of the carbon. I love the geometry...a bit more relaxed (both of them) which is great for my ageing body.
    I have not test riddent the 4:13 but the Paris Carbon is a wonderful ride...compliant and stiff.

3. Ssushi

Ssushi New Member

I expect this from both frames but buying a whole new bike, need to know why I'd spend the extra e400 on the Paris... Is is that much better than the 4?

4. fredf

fredf New Member

fair question and I can't answer it fully because I really didn't ride the 4:13. The Paris is claimed to be lighter and perhaps even more compliant than the 4:13. Whether it is a noticeable difference I don't know.

Try looking around this site for the answer:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

5. Ssushi

Ssushi New Member

Thanks for that Fred. I think the frame is approx. 200g lighter, sub 1Kg for the Paris.

Will post a pic of you's when you get it? What colour did you go for?

6. fredf

fredf New Member

I will post a picture.
    What I got is a nude black frame....it's completely black and not available 'retail'. Two such frames were made by the factory for a local bike race and they were bought by the shop owner (that's why I can afford it---they were 'one-offs' and I'm getting a great deal on it+).

Personally I think the painted ones look nicer but I didn't have a choice (I did but wasn't willing to pay the extra). I like the red or blue forks the best.

I'll post a picture when I pick it up....sometime in the next week.

7. fredf

fredf New Member

sSuchi: I replied a couple of days ago but I just noticed it isn't up.
    I am picking up my bike in about 3 hr and will post when I get a picture (and that's up to my son!).

I got a nude black carbon frame with a couple of red hilights. It was one of two such frames made up by Giovanni Pinarello for a race in Italy and was picked up (never used) by the owner of my lbs on a trip to the factory. He got it 'cheap' and is passing on the savings to me.

So, it's a unique frame. Personally, I would have preferred any painted one with a red or blue Onza fork -- I think they look great in red/blue.

I am doing it up with:
    ..FSA K-Wing carbon: again black with some red hillights
    ..Hyperon carbon wheelset (also nude carbon with 'Hyperon' lettered discretely in red)--these also were a factory pickup that I am getting at 1/2 price
    ..red and black tape
    ..likely Michelin Krylion tires (with red accents)
    ..Sella Italia Trans Am gel flow saddle
    ...chorus grouppo
    ...Pinarella (FSA) carbon compact crank

It's quite an indulgence for me but I suffered a freak heart attack at end of July and am just getting back on my bike again. All my friends convinced me to 'treat' myself when this deal on the Pinarello came up.
    I got a professional fitting and this bike should fit me perfectly (god, I sure hope so!!).

Fred

8. nixage

nixage New Member

Have you read the write-ups on competitive cyclists website?

Here are their links:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1846

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1633

9. fredf

fredf New Member

ok, so now I've had a chance to ride the bike.
    I must say, having Campy Hyperon wheels may affect the ride, but the best way to describe the ride was: I thought they have re-paved the entire route.
    This was the smoothest and most comfortable ride I have ever taken. The bike was as still has I have ever been on, but the comfort level was amazing.

I'll post a picture as soon as I can.
    By the way, I am riding the SMP Strike saddle and it really works well for me.