Pinarello Geometry Question

Derk Drukker

Guest
Hi Guys!

I was offered a Surprise frameset by my bikeshop. I measured it and the Centre-Centre seattube
length was 59Cm. The top tube was 57 cm. (C-C)

According to the Pina folders, there has never been a 59cm, so that is a bit amazing.

What my problem really is, is the top tube length: it is a 57 CM length, which I find very short. My
other bikes have a 57.5 CM top tube. On this bike I have a 13cm stem.

I am a bit afraid,given the length of my upper body, that I can't place the saddle back enough
behind the bracket. I need to place the front of the saddle 8.47cm behind the imaginary line that
goes through the bracket.

Could anyone tell me if these 57 CM top tube is too small for me? I don't want to place a saddle
completely at the end of it's rail, since this often introduces creaks.

Isn't a 57CM top tube length short, given a 58cm framesize?

Thanks! Derk

Here is some geometry info on Pinarellos http://www.cbike.com/surprise.htm

"Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi Guys!
>
> I was offered a Surprise frameset by my bikeshop. I measured it and the Centre-Centre seattube
> length was 59Cm. The top tube was 57 cm. (C-C)
>
> According to the Pina folders, there has never been a 59cm, so that is a bit amazing.
>
> What my problem really is, is the top tube length: it is a 57 CM length, which I find very short.
> My other bikes have a 57.5 CM top tube. On this bike I have a 13cm stem.
>
> I am a bit afraid,given the length of my upper body, that I can't place the saddle back enough
> behind the bracket. I need to place the front of the saddle 8.47cm behind the imaginary line that
> goes through the bracket.
>
> Could anyone tell me if these 57 CM top tube is too small for me? I don't want to place a saddle
> completely at the end of it's rail, since this often introduces creaks.
>
> Isn't a 57CM top tube length short, given a 58cm framesize?
>
> Thanks! Derk

d drucker-<< Could anyone tell me if these 57 CM top tube is too small for me?

How long is your femurs?

What I mean to say, you can't tell if 57cm is too long or short unless you get you knee in the
correct place via fore-aft and seat height, an indirect measurement of your femur, affected by seat
tube ANGLE...THEN you can determine if the top tube is too long or short.

<< Isn't a 57CM top tube length short, given a 58cm framesize?

a '58cm' frameset measures almost nothing..what is important is seattube ANGLE and top tube LENGTH,
not seat tube length.

Hi Peter,

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 15:28:43 +0100, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> How long is your femurs?
From what point should it be measured exactly?

> What I mean to say, you can't tell if 57cm is too long or short unless you get you knee in the
> correct place via fore-aft and seat height, an indirect measurement of your femur, affected by
> seat tube ANGLE...THEN you can determine if the top tube is too long or short.
I owned 2 Pina's before: a 58 and a 59 cm Asolo. If I remember well, the top tube length was a bit
short for me.

A frame should enable me to put the saddle tip 8.4cm's behind the imaginary vertical line that goes
through the bottom bracket. The distance from that line through the bracket to the steer should be
49.5cm. Or: the distance saddle-steer = 58CM, saddle should be 8.4 cm behind the bracket.

Merckx made me a custom frame and he made me a 58.5 CM seat tube, 58 CM top tube, 12 CM stem.

Another question: how important is it too have exchangeable derailleur pat's (is this the right
word?) in a aluminium frame? The Surprise doesn't have this.

Do you know if the Surprise is a good frame?

I have another bike (titanium). I want this bike to take with m on vacations in hilly area's. Would
it be a good choice according to you?

Greets, Derk

Hi Peter,

Thanks for helping me. After a very long weekend thinking about frames, I decided to buy another
Merckx frameset. Since they already made a custom frame for me and measured me, I asked them to make
me another steel frame (MX Leader).

I like my old SLX frame that I have used for over 12 years. Therefore I think I can't go wrong with
another steel frame.

About Pina geometry: the 58 Asolo was high enough, but too short IMHO. The 59 was too high, but long
enough. After Merckx measured me in Belgium the outcome was indeed a 58.5 C-C seattube and a 58 CM
C-C horizontal tube.

Thanks for your help!

Greets, Derk

"Derk Drukker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for helping me. After a very long weekend thinking about frames, I decided to buy another
> Merckx frameset. Since they already made a custom frame for me and measured me, I asked them to
> make me another steel frame (MX Leader).
>
> I like my old SLX frame that I have used for over 12 years. Therefore I think I can't go wrong
> with another steel frame.
>
> About Pina geometry: the 58 Asolo was high enough, but too short IMHO. The 59 was too high, but
> long enough. After Merckx measured me in Belgium the outcome was indeed a 58.5 C-C seattube and a
> 58 CM C-C horizontal tube.
>
> Thanks for your help!

I rode a Merckx SLX frame for quite a few years. The best frame I ever had. A pity I swapped it for
a TREK 5500. My next frame will probably be a Merckx Team SC. Hjalmar