Pinarello Help...

mastronaut

Mar 23, 2006
Does anyone have some info on this bike? I picked it up at the dump yesterday, but I can't find any useful info on it Thanks in advance...:D

mastronaut said:
Does anyone have some info on this bike? I picked it up at the dump yesterday, but I can't find any useful info on it Thanks in advance...:D
Well you got me in the mood for testing out my googling skills and I came up with this:

http://velospace.org/node/199

Don't know if it helps you much but it looks kinda similar to yours. The frame and forks look about right and the crankset looks the same. It looks far nicer as a single speed fixy as well, reckon you should do that to yours!

mastronaut said:
FWIW. The bike looks like a Peugeot from the late-60s (probably) or early-70s (possibly).

The bottom bracket & headset will therefore have FRENCH threads ... not compatible with anything current ...

puegeot U-08, a 70's bike boom offering, all steel, lots of 'em did not get much use, good to learn you do not like road bikes because they are not for comfort...

alfeng said:
FWIW. The bike looks like a Peugeot from the late-60s (probably) or early-70s (possibly).

The bottom bracket & headset will therefore have FRENCH threads ... not compatible with anything current ...

mastronaut said:
I was bored and decided to modify the Pinarello.....:D
Mate, that bike is so much better now :D - check out the chunk 666 website for further inspiration

Dan

mastronaut said:
Thanks for the kind words! I painted the forks today and fine tuned it a bit. :)
Very good, but why stop there? those forks are begging for further elongation.

I may be a retro grouch, but to take a perfectly nice Italian lugged steel frame and do that is just unappealing to me.

I would have gladly located and traded several bikes that would have worked just as well for your needs for that one sweet bike you started with...

However, the bottom line is that if you like it and ride it, then it is serving its purpose!

Enjoy it!

I got it for next to nothing, it wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with, I already have a serious regular rider, so what the hell...Oh and I live in Maine but I'm no redneck :D

mastronaut said:
The model lower than the Peugot UO-8, probably early 70s by the appearance of the down-tube shifters. By the late 70s they were migrating to the handlebar stem. I forgot what it's called. The UO-8 had Normandy quick release hubs and a funky window-pane lugwork in contrasting colors. Peugot advertised seamless tubing for all their models, but by the early 70s, the fork blades and steerer tubes on all models except the PX-10 had seams.

This one's been modified, too. All Peugots of this vintage had Simplex derailleurs and Mafac brakes.

Thanks oldbobcat, but it's not a pugeot it's a pinarello. must have been the early model when they were still a young company trying to make a name for themselves, my hunch is it was a low end bike like an early columbia not like their bikes of today....:)

mastronaut said:
Thanks oldbobcat, but it's not a pugeot it's a pinarello.
I see. Still looks better than any Columbia I ever saw, though. I know my Columbias, having grown up around the corner from Westfield, Mass. Columbia never made lugged frames, post-WWII, anyway. Is that a Simplex front derailleur, though?

I wonder if it came from the same workshops that produced the low-end Atalas and Chiordas.

I had to replace the original front derailer with one off of a Super Letour 12.2, it was in terrible shape. That bike was cool though the frame was tiny...