Pinarello, kuota or look?

mister 2

Jul 27, 2007
Hi all

Im an intermediate rider doing from 3 to 4 bike rides per week. I also workout at the gym 4 times a week and consider myself in good shape (5'11", 170 lbs, 7% BF).

Next year I plan on joining a club and push my level of ride higher...maybe compete in some crits and road races. I usualy train on flat surface but the club im planning to join do a lot of climbs.

Im starting to shop around for a new bike that would be able to follow me to that other level of riding.

My choices are:

-Pinarello FP 3:13 2007 or FP5 2008
-Kuota Kebel 2007
-Look 555 2007 or 08

all equiped with ultegra to start.

What would you recommend? thx

I just had and excellent deal on a cervelo soloist carbon new equiped with ultegra all around in the same price range as the others...

mister 2 said:
I just had and excellent deal on a cervelo soloist carbon new equiped with ultegra all around in the same price range as the others...
Any comparaison between Cervelo SLC, Kuota Kebel and Pinarello 3:13 or the cervelo is out of the otheres league?

thx

Wow, I was in exactly the same situation you are in currently. I had a Felt F70 and just upgraded to full carbon. First, nothing against Kuota (I was looking at them as well), but they are a newer company and I don't know if their quality can stack up against Pinarello or Look. The manufacturing and carbon on these two brands are spot on. So, I would go with either the Pinarello or Look 555 (I was debating on the exact same 2 bikes myself). I ended up going with the Look for a number of reasons. Most important to me, I got a great deal on it. Next, the Pinarello was described to me as a "Ferrari" whereas the Look was more of a "Sporty BMW" if that means anything to you. For my riding style (I am actually a rower for my first sport and use the bike for cross training, centuries, fast club rides, some racing, etc.) the look suited me a little better. My LBS described the Look as a more relaxed ride, the F3:13 is gonna want to get up and go no matter what you want to do. Having said all this, THE most important thing in purchasing a bike is fit, fit, fit. Make sure you go to a bike store that will fit you for at least an hour, and let them decide which frame will fit your body the best (not the other way around).

phallenthoul said:
soloist carbon is way out of their league
you can always tell from the price..
With the deal im having, I can buy the cervelo or kuota or pinarello for the same price!

jmm279 said:
Wow, I was in exactly the same situation you are in currently. I had a Felt F70 and just upgraded to full carbon. First, nothing against Kuota (I was looking at them as well), but they are a newer company and I don't know if their quality can stack up against Pinarello or Look. The manufacturing and carbon on these two brands are spot on. So, I would go with either the Pinarello or Look 555 (I was debating on the exact same 2 bikes myself). I ended up going with the Look for a number of reasons. Most important to me, I got a great deal on it. Next, the Pinarello was described to me as a "Ferrari" whereas the Look was more of a "Sporty BMW" if that means anything to you. For my riding style (I am actually a rower for my first sport and use the bike for cross training, centuries, fast club rides, some racing, etc.) the look suited me a little better. My LBS described the Look as a more relaxed ride, the F3:13 is gonna want to get up and go no matter what you want to do. Having said all this, THE most important thing in purchasing a bike is fit, fit, fit. Make sure you go to a bike store that will fit you for at least an hour, and let them decide which frame will fit your body the best (not the other way around).
Thx a lot, great response

mister 2 said:
With the deal im having, I can buy the cervelo or kuota or pinarello for the same price!
well this is wierd
coz the price of soloist carbon should be twice as much as kuota kebel or look555.
do make sure it is soloist CARBON instead of soloist.
or, maybe you are talking about the prices of complete bikes.
slc/105/aksium could be the same as kebel/dura-ace/ksyrium sl
but the setup would be quite funny..
perhaps you should post the complete specifications and lets take a better look

phallenthoul said:
well this is wierd
coz the price of soloist carbon should be twice as much as kuota kebel or look555.
do make sure it is soloist CARBON instead of soloist.
or, maybe you are talking about the prices of complete bikes.
slc/105/aksium could be the same as kebel/dura-ace/ksyrium sl
but the setup would be quite funny..
perhaps you should post the complete specifications and lets take a better look
SLC/ complete ultegra/ easton vista

vs

kebel, look or pinarello/ complete ultegra/ shimano R550 or aksium

I guess the prices are down because its the end of the season...theres snow here during winter.

mister 2 said:
-Pinarello FP 3:13 2007 or FP5 2008
-Kuota Kebel 2007
-Look 555 2007 or 08

all equiped with ultegra to start.

What would you recommend? thx
Jeepers, anybody choosing from these three doesn't need my advice, but I'm going to give it too you anyway. Whatever you buy, you're going to learn to love it as long as it fits. So buy the one that fits with a 11-13 cm stem, preferably without flipping it.