Pinarello or Trek ?? or??....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Xandre, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Xandre

Xandre New Member

Hey guys, looking for my first road bike.... anywhere btwn $1000 and $2000. I was looking at the Pinarello Galileo ($2000) and the cheaper and equally good looking Trek 1500 ($1000)--I know that I'll be making good use of my new road bike, no matter which one I choose..anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks a lot... : )

Tags:

2. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

Pinarello hands down!

3. dhk

dhk New Member

Check out the new 04 Trek 2300 with carbon fiber seat stays and fork, with the new Zirconium Aluminum thin tubes. A plush ride, with Ultegra group and decent wheels for around $1750. The Galileo has no carbon monostay, and a rather low-end Deda 7003 Al tubeset, I'd guess a much heavier/stiffer ride feel.

Of course, Trek is the Ford/Chevy of the industry, with a lifetime warranty and good dealer network. But, no flash like Pinarello, and no cool paint job. Buy what you like to ride, but I'd recommend test-riding first if you can. Either bike is great.

Dan

4. Xandre

Xandre New Member

Ya, the problem is that here (San Francisco Bay Area), there are a lot of Trek dealers, but with custom bikes like Pinarello, it's hard to test ride one....but that Pinarello is so damn SECKSI!!! and the Trek is nice, but everyone might have one.....and I like to be different...any other suggestions? thanks

5. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Ken: OK, no contest this bike beats TREK in the style department. This photo is same one on the Competitive Cyclist, Little Rock, AR website. Is that where you got your bike? If so, how would you rate them?

Dan

7. Xandre

Xandre New Member

yes yes..pls pls tell me...how would you rate them?

8. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

Actually, that's not my bike, but I will be purchasing a 2004 road bike from Competitive Cyclist in the near future. I have heard great things about these guys and have talked with Brendan and Jason.

I will be picking up either a Look KG386 (full Campy Chorus) or Colango Dream (full Campy Chorus), when the prices become available.

I was looking for the 2003 Look KG386, but there all gone!

Again, Trek are good bikes, but when you pair them next to the European bikes, there just not there!

That's just my opinion!

9. gw709

gw709 New Member

Pinarello with campag - no issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ride the pinarello surprise and it's great

gaw

10. Xandre

Xandre New Member

OOoo....I went to my local bike store.....I tried the trek 1500, its nice, looks good, but it seems like everywhere I go, all the European bikes are custom built, and I wanna compare them together. Today I'm going to Berkley to look at the Fondriest bikes and the Pinarellos. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

11. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

Xandre

I'm jealous, was out in SF in late June and there were people cycling all over. The bikes shops were pretty impressive as well.

Living in New York City, it's tuff to cycle during the winter, we don't have that nice weather all year around like SF.

Let us know what you find!

12. Xandre

Xandre New Member

NICE WEATHER?? Here? ALL YEAR ROUND?? NO WAY? It's only nice here like maybe a total of 4 months out of the whole year! It can be foggy here, then you go 20 miles away from the city and then its sunny! God dam FOG!! : P

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

Yeah, not to stray from the subject but for having lived in the east bay (Berkeley and El Cerrito) for 14 years, the damp weather finally took its toll on me and I moved to sunnier pastures: the Mojave Desert. I'll take desert weather any day over that blasted bay area stuff.

14. Xandre

Xandre New Member

yup yup--but for the last month--it's been really nice over here! Just look at the gorgeous weather at the SF Grand Prix (T-Mobile International)