Pinarello Sestriere frame respray at Argos

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by jwh, Dec 27, 2011.

1. jwh

jwh New Member

Hi there everyone, haven't posted on here for a while.

I've got a beautiful old steel frame Pinarello Sestriere which is around 5 years old now and needs a re-spray. I actually bent the dropout on the hanger and it's getting that sorted + the rust removed so it's time for some TLC!

It's used as a winter training bike so I like to keep it looking a little sporty but being a steel frame it's cool to keep the retro feel to it too. Just thought as I'm spending the dosh to have it re-done, I'd see if I could get some feedback about what might look good.

I found a great online tool called BikeCAD which I used to produce the attached screen grabs - what do you think works best? I'll attach a photo of the completed bike late January 2012 when it's done. I'd appreciate your comments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

My fave is #2. You can't go wrong with red w/ white panels. Blue would also look sharp, but a deeper blue than what you have in the first pic. Again, panels would look great.

edit: I'd replace the red letters on #2 w/ black letters.

3. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I like #3 yellow and black.

4. jwh

jwh New Member

I'm leaning towards #4 myself - yellow with white panels and black lettering but I'm just not sure about a yellow frame. Don't see many of them about - but then why not be a little less obvious? The cyan colour is lovely - but there's a lot of cyan Bianchi's about. I did have it a deeper blue before - here's a picture of it's current state:
    [​IMG]

And this one shows our clubs kit...

[​IMG]

Although I think a yellow bike might look a little OTT!

5. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

#2 for me, red and white looks great.

6. jwh

jwh New Member

7. alienator

I'm a huge fan of almost every shade of red. In the Argos reds, I like 34, 71 (a lot), 46 (a lot), and 33 a bit. To make matters more difficult for you, here are some red bikes with white panels:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Colnago and Ritchey make me and my monitor sticky and wet. When I had a custom Paramount OS (Waterford flavor) made, I struggled betwixt candy apple and racing red. I came down on the side of racing red, but now I think candy apple would be great. It's got a classy look to it.

Here are some blue bikes with panels:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And just to make things a bit more tough, white with colored panels is also very sharp:

[​IMG]

8. jwh

jwh New Member

Yea Candy red would be cool - only thing is - would it look a little postman pat?

Here's a quick mock up:
    [​IMG]

God this doesn't get any easier!

Why is yellow so unpopular? It's bananas if you ask me :)

9. alienator

Only Ducatis, bananas, and jaundiced people are supposed to be yellow. We can make an exception for bike teams and yellow jersey wearers.

Candy red is a damned fine color for a bike. The BikeCad version of candy red is way off. It should be deeper.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree with your selection

The green option is a Bianchi colour in my opinion.

11. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Why would you post 3 versions of yellow and let everyone sway you towards the red?

12. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Dukes are supposed to be red - even the badge is red. It's always been the primary colour of choice. Never saw Foggy racing on a yellow Duke... :p It's like people who buy yellow Ferrari's. Phooey.

If the OP goes for the red and white he can stick a Man United sticker on the headtube!

13. alienator

All that was ever seen by anyone racing or watching Foggy race was the red blur of his bike and the death rays beaming from his cold, razor sharp blue eyes. With that said, yellow Ducks have always looked nice...maybe not as nice as red, tri-color, or black Ducks, but nice just the same. My '93 888 came in red, the same red paint that Ferrari used on its cars. The 888, IMHO, was the dead sexiest Duck ever...at least it was once the ones (decals put on the '93 versions to celebrate Doug Polen's WSBK championship in, uhm, '92) were peeled from the seat cowl.

[​IMG]

FWIW, Foggy was The Man. It's too bad his career came to such a quick end after his shoulder got buggered in an unkind racing crash. It was much pleasurable to seem him beat Scott Russell so many times.