Pinarello Vintage INFO

toxmatt

Nov 13, 2012
Hello everybody!!! I have this old [COLOR= rgb(65, 115, 148)]Pinarello[/COLOR] and i would like to know if someone can help me to identify this model and give me some information about It. These are some pics of the bike:

Thank you guys!!!!
Have a good day!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Foto1.png
    Foto1.png
    664.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Foto2.png
    Foto2.png
    715.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Foto3.png
    Foto3.png
    524.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Foto4.png
    Foto4.png
    633.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Foto5.png
    Foto5.png
    684.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Foto6.png
    Foto6.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Foto7.png
    Foto7.png
    660.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Schermata 2012-11-13 alle 09.46.32.png
    Schermata 2012-11-13 alle 09.46.32.png
    783.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Schermata 2012-11-13 alle 09.48.11.png
    Schermata 2012-11-13 alle 09.48.11.png
    793.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Schermata 2012-11-13 alle 09.48.18.png
    Schermata 2012-11-13 alle 09.48.18.png
    636.2 KB · Views: 59
it is a small jewell there, top of the line for its time,

That's good...do you know what is the model of this bike and the year (more or less) ???
Thank you!!!!

It looks like a "Montello".

The Treviso was a SL columbus tube frame...it's a mid-line model, below the Montello. These were popular racing frames in the 1980's because of their relatively low cost.

If your tubing decal says SLX, you have a Montello, although my Montello and all I can recall have a fully chromed rear triangle. Montello was top of the line. Depending upon size, it may have been an SLX/TSX tube mix.

Your fork crown looks identical to my Montello. Your head lugs look like both of mine, also. Your brake bridge more closely looks like my Montello.

Let your tubing decal tell the tale.

My 1985 olympic clone Treviso was from Denver Spoke and it was metallic blue and IIRC had a painted fork and chrome drop-outs and right chain stay. The first red Treviso was a 1986 model year. One had a chromed fork and the other had a painted fork.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I 'think Gita imported them for awhile.

My Montello is to the left in this pile of junk. You can see the top of the fully chromed rear triangle. The Treviso is in the middle of the stack. That was a replacement for a red one I totalled, which was a replacement for the blue one that was totalled.

Is that a Litespeed Classic Bob? Damn near identical to mine. Size by the looks of it, components, the lot.

I asked to Pinarello, they say that the bike is totally original and it was produced before 80's, but they didn't say the name of the model !!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif
I think that the Montello one has the wire of rear brake inside of the frame and mine doesn't have it!
So, is It a Treviso????

classic1, that one is a 2006 Fiernze with Chorus. The pedals and seatpost are also Chorus. Factory Easton EC90-SLX fork.

toxmatt, my opinion is that it is a Treviso, but take that for what it cost you...nothing! Heheh! I base this on the lack of chrome on the rear triangle and what appears to be the 'stick-on' or decal chrome on top of the right chain stay. The higher end Montello utilized more chrome and better tubing. Internal cable routing was not a popular option in the late 1970's and you will note the red Treviso has internal rear brake routing. My blue 1984 model did not. Your brake bridge more closely matches the one on my Montello though.

What does your tubing decal say? Is it readable?

What is your frame's serial number? (fill in the last two digits with 'X's if you want) I can compare to mine and the 1984 bent frame I kept.

The Montello and Trevisos I have utilized the same lugs, but different bottom brackets. The Treviso BB appears to be press formed and the Montello uses an investment cast BB. The fork crowns differ, as do the brake bridges.

I find it odd that Pinarello date your production prior to 1980. Looking at the frame features in your pictures, I would have put it post-1980.

One more thing...can you read the "world championship/Olympic championship" decal just above your shift levers?

This will help date the frame as it lists Pinarello's notable victories.

IIRC, mine all list the 1984 Olympic victory. I will check mine later. I know my thumb has rubbed some of the lettering away on my well-used red Treviso, but the Montello should be 100% legible.

Adding to the soup, Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport components were cataloged from 1974 thru 1984 or 1985. The black Raleigh Competition Mk II in the picture is equipped with a partial Nuovo Gran Sport component group, including the 3-arm crankset.

You 'may' find a year date on the back side of your rear derailleur parallelogram plate.

Thank you so much! Anyway, on the pic number 2 you can see the stickers (Campione olimpico e campione d'italia 1984), where can i find the serial number??

* the sticker say (Olympic championship and Italian Championship 1984)...I will try to find on the back side of your rear derailleur parallelogram plate if there is something , where is the serial number of your Pinarello?
Thanks a lot!!

Well, if the decal says 1984, the frameset is, obviously from 1984 or later production. As I suspected.

Your Nuovo Gran Sport Crankset is, I'm pretty sure, a generation I 5-pin model, which dates approximately from 1980 and up. A later style (more Triomphe looking to my eyes) was offered before the product line was discontinued.

Your outer chainring is a relieved version. Probably milled and pantographed in-house by Pinarello.

"where is the serial number of your Pinarello?"

I will have to look, myself! It has been many years since I rode those bikes (I do still ride the track bike in winter).

Usually, it can be found on the bottom bracket shell or it is stamped into the left side rear dropout.

Yes , the strange thing is that people from Pinarello say that this bike is a model produced before 80's...maybe someone put the sticker (could be), and i thought the same also for the panthograped parts and the gear (80's bikes don't have those parts).
Anyway thank you so much for your help!!!

Here are some old Pinarello catalog pictures to browse thru:

1985: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/pinarello85/

1987: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/pinarello87/

1989: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/pinarello89/

Vintage Pinarello gear: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/pinarello/

Hello!!I need an info, what is the value of this bike now? (more or less) Thank you

The market value is dependent on local conditions, demand and CONDITION. Condition being the prime driver in the price equation (a mint Raleigh Record being more desirable than a rusted, abused Cinelli).

In 'my' area a mint condition, nearly unridden Treviso with low-end Campy Gran Sport and tubulars would bring in the $500-$700 range. There is little demand for such a machine outside of a small collector market.

Your bike is somewhat used and shows significant storage/handling issues. The value in my area would be $200-$300 if cleaned up, polished and lubricated for Craig's List or similar local sales advertisement.