Pine Creek Rail Trail

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jim Cupper, May 16, 2003.

  1. Jim Cupper

    Jim Cupper Guest

    Has anyone ridden the bike trail that runs through the Grand Canyon of Pennyslvania along the Pine
    Creek? If so, can you give me any tips/advice on where the best places to start and finish are? It
    would be interesting to know which way is uphill and how steep the grade is as well. Any information
    would be appreciated. (I will be riding a Rans Rocket, if that matters)

    Tags:

  2. > Has anyone ridden the bike trail that runs through the Grand Canyon of Pennyslvania along the Pine
    > Creek? If so, can you give me any tips/advice on where the best places to start and finish are?

    Funny you should mention this. I just rode the bottom half yesterday. The Trail is in excellent
    shape. The average grade is less than 2 percent with the Down hill grade running North to South
    (Ansonia to Waterville). If you are in GOOD shape you could try the entire out an back trip of 84
    miles, but plan on an average of about 11mph. Yep it's flat but I've got to tell you it's WORK. It
    has a hard pack cider surface, that is slightly loose at the top. I estimate there is about a 25
    percent effort penalty for it. If it is raining be warned, the cinders get everywhere on your bike,
    and makes and awful mess. If your going to make a two day trip Start at Blackwell Or Waterville one
    day and Ansonia or Blackwell the other day. Ride an out and back or if you do it in one day, and
    have a driver, have them meet you on the other end. Plan on an hour travel by car at a minimum
    Depending on which direction your traveling from. I've ridden the canyon section many times, and
    while its very nice down there, there will be many rafters and canoist/kayakers this time of year, I
    prefer the lower half from Blackwell down. The RT goes through some nice villages and the valley
    opens up a bit. My buddy commented how much it was like Vermont. There are restrooms about every 6
    miles. Take water with you especially on the Ansonia to Blackwell section. There is Nothing except
    for a Handpump halfway at Tiadaughton (sp?) .> (I will be riding a Rans Rocket, if that matters)
    I"ve ridden it on a BikeE, Ez-1, Vrex, and yesterday a Bacchetta Giro, they all worked fine. If you
    need more information please ask, I'm very familar with the trail and the area. The Trail is rated
    one of the top 10 in the country, IMO its well deserved Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken
    www.recumbentstuff.com

    "Jim Cupper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... It
    > would be interesting to know which way is uphill and how steep the grade is as well.

  3. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Denny, I didn't realize the trail now extends to Waterville. A number of years ago I rode the trail
    from Ansonia to Blackwell (the end at the time) and back. The loose gravel does make for work! For
    the rest of you, the Pine Creek Trail is first rate!

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    new email - [email protected]