PING: aem & saerah bennett

Melba's Jammin'

Guest
I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.

Now, let's eat. I've never made these but will enjoy the frozen ones I
bought at Cecil's last week when Girlchild visits at the end of the
week. It's what we have for dessert when we go to Cecil's.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Blintzes - Jewish Egg Pancakes

Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 11-21-05.
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Entrees

Blintzes:
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter -- melted and cooled
Salt to taste
1/4 cup flour
Butter or peanut oil for frying
Filling:
1 # large curd cottage cheese
1 egg
A few white raisins
1/4 cup sour cream
Grated peel from 1 lemon
About 1/4 cup sugar (to taste)
Salt to taste
Melted butter
Sour cream and jam for topping

In your blender, place the eggs, milk, butter, salt and flour. Blend
for a moment; then allow to cool in the refrigerator for a couple of
hours.

Make the pancakes as you would a crepe. Do not turn them. They should
be thin and not at all browned. Fry them in very little butter or oil
in a medium hot pan until the top is dry in appearance, but the bottom
is not brown. Keep them separated with wax paper until all are cooked.

Prepare filling: Drain cottage cheese in a sieve for at least two
hours. Put cottage cheese through a ricer (Kay used her food
processor.) Add the egg, raisins, sour cream. lemon peel, sugar, and
salt. Blend well with a fork and fill the blintzes with a little of the
mixture. Fold them up like little envelopes. Place on an ungreased
cookie sheet and brush the tops with melted butter. When ready to
serve, place the blintzes under a broiler until the tops begin to brown.
Serve with more sour cream on top along with your favorite jam.

Makes 10
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : From Kretsch, 2/25/89 Recipe originally from The Frugal
Gourmet, Jeff Smith, pp. 407-48.

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
> thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
> terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.

You are too kind.

> Now, let's eat. [snip]

And return to talk of food. -aem

aem wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>>I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
>>thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
>>terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.
>>

> You are too kind.
>

>>Now, let's eat. [snip]

> And return to talk of food. -aem

agreed :)
::devouring virtu-blintzes::

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

In article <[email protected]>,
"aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
> > thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
> > terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.
> >

> You are too kind.

Can never be too kind, I think and I'm often not very. Though the topic
was not food, it was a nice discussion between civilized people -- no
slurs, no insults, no name-calling. I found it thought-provoking and
agreeing with points both of you made, I remember a lot of that kind
of thing here -- about food -- when I started reading 10 years ago.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.