PING: aem & saerah bennett

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Nov 21, 2005.

  1. I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
    thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
    terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.

    Now, let's eat. I've never made these but will enjoy the frozen ones I
    bought at Cecil's last week when Girlchild visits at the end of the
    week. It's what we have for dessert when we go to Cecil's.

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Blintzes - Jewish Egg Pancakes

    Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 11-21-05.
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Entrees

    Blintzes:
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup milk
    2 Tbsp. butter -- melted and cooled
    Salt to taste
    1/4 cup flour
    Butter or peanut oil for frying
    Filling:
    1 # large curd cottage cheese
    1 egg
    A few white raisins
    1/4 cup sour cream
    Grated peel from 1 lemon
    About 1/4 cup sugar (to taste)
    Salt to taste
    Melted butter
    Sour cream and jam for topping

    In your blender, place the eggs, milk, butter, salt and flour. Blend
    for a moment; then allow to cool in the refrigerator for a couple of
    hours.

    Make the pancakes as you would a crepe. Do not turn them. They should
    be thin and not at all browned. Fry them in very little butter or oil
    in a medium hot pan until the top is dry in appearance, but the bottom
    is not brown. Keep them separated with wax paper until all are cooked.

    Prepare filling: Drain cottage cheese in a sieve for at least two
    hours. Put cottage cheese through a ricer (Kay used her food
    processor.) Add the egg, raisins, sour cream. lemon peel, sugar, and
    salt. Blend well with a fork and fill the blintzes with a little of the
    mixture. Fold them up like little envelopes. Place on an ungreased
    cookie sheet and brush the tops with melted butter. When ready to
    serve, place the blintzes under a broiler until the tops begin to brown.
    Serve with more sour cream on top along with your favorite jam.

    Makes 10
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    NOTES : From Kretsch, 2/25/89 Recipe originally from The Frugal
    Gourmet, Jeff Smith, pp. 407-48.

    _____
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
    > thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
    > terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.

    You are too kind.

    > Now, let's eat. [snip]

    And return to talk of food. -aem

  3. aem wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >>I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
    >>thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
    >>terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.
    >>

    > You are too kind.
    >

    >>Now, let's eat. [snip]

    > And return to talk of food. -aem

    agreed :)
    ::devouring virtu-blintzes::

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > I want to thank you both for your thoughtful sparring in the "hello"
    > > thread that wandered off to the propriety of some Hebrew and/or Yiddish
    > > terms. It's been very educational and I've followed it with interest.
    > >

    > You are too kind.

    Can never be too kind, I think and I'm often not very. Though the topic
    was not food, it was a nice discussion between civilized people -- no
    slurs, no insults, no name-calling. I found it thought-provoking and
    agreeing with points both of you made, I remember a lot of that kind
    of thing here -- about food -- when I started reading 10 years ago.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.