PING: Dee Dee

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Wayne Boatwright, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. This was recently posted by Kathy on alt.cooking-chat. Thought you might
    like to try it.

    Make-Ahead Spinach Phyllo Roll-Ups

    Prep Time: 30 min
    Total Time: 55 min
    Makes: 5 logs, 6 slices each or 30 servings, 1 slice each

    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
    1 cup l Crumbled Feta Cheese
    1 tub (8 oz.) Garden Vegetable Light Cream Cheese Spread
    1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    15 sheets frozen phyllo sheets (14x9 inch), thawed
    1/3 cup butter, melted

    MIX egg, spinach, feta cheese, cream cheese spread and onions until
    well blended. Set aside.

    PLACE 1 of the phyllo sheets on a clean work surface. Brush lightly
    with butter. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing more of the remaining
    butter between each layer. Place remaining phyllo between sheets of plastic
    wrap; set aside.

    SPREAD 1/5 of the spinach mixture along 1 of the short sides of the
    phyllo stack; fold in both long sides, then roll up, starting at 1 of the
    short sides to make a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and
    spinach mixture to make 4 more logs. Brush with remaining butter. To
    prevent phyllo from cracking, score logs at 1-inch intervals. Place in
    large freezer-weight resealable plastic bags or wrap tightly in plastic
    wrap.

    FREEZE up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove desired number of
    logs from freezer. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, several hours or overnight
    until thawed. Place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375°F-oven for 25
    min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 min.; place on cutting board. Cut each
    log into 6 slices with serrated knife to serve.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  2. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This was recently posted by Kathy on alt.cooking-chat. Thought you might
    > like to try it.
    >
    > Make-Ahead Spinach Phyllo Roll-Ups
    >
    > Prep Time: 30 min
    > Total Time: 55 min
    > Makes: 5 logs, 6 slices each or 30 servings, 1 slice each
    >
    > 1 egg, lightly beaten
    > 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
    > 1 cup l Crumbled Feta Cheese
    > 1 tub (8 oz.) Garden Vegetable Light Cream Cheese Spread
    > 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    > 15 sheets frozen phyllo sheets (14x9 inch), thawed
    > 1/3 cup butter, melted
    >
    > MIX egg, spinach, feta cheese, cream cheese spread and onions until
    > well blended. Set aside.
    >
    > PLACE 1 of the phyllo sheets on a clean work surface. Brush lightly
    > with butter. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing more of the remaining
    > butter between each layer. Place remaining phyllo between sheets of
    > plastic
    > wrap; set aside.
    >
    > SPREAD 1/5 of the spinach mixture along 1 of the short sides of the
    > phyllo stack; fold in both long sides, then roll up, starting at 1 of the
    > short sides to make a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and
    > spinach mixture to make 4 more logs. Brush with remaining butter. To
    > prevent phyllo from cracking, score logs at 1-inch intervals. Place in
    > large freezer-weight resealable plastic bags or wrap tightly in plastic
    > wrap.
    >
    > FREEZE up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove desired number of
    > logs from freezer. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, several hours or
    > overnight
    > until thawed. Place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375°F-oven for 25
    > min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 min.; place on cutting board. Cut each
    > log into 6 slices with serrated knife to serve.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Thanks, Wayne. I'll try this next. Boy!it seemed I had everything in the
    house dirty boiling the spinach, 4 batches of 8 oz. each. Straining it, etc.
    Then frying it "up." Perhaps since there is no big onion or garlic in this
    recipe, I won't have to do the 'fry pan thing' either.
    I'll look next Wednesday when I 'go uptown' for the Philadelphia Garden
    Vegetable Light Cream Cheese along with getting the frozen spinach. This
    will give me use for the second half of the phyllo.
    DH can figure the rolling up/out part. He's good at that.
    It seems that Athens is the phyllo of choice and probably the most
    available.
    Dee Dee

  3. On Sat 10 Dec 2005 09:46:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> This was recently posted by Kathy on alt.cooking-chat. Thought you
    >> might like to try it.
    >>
    >> Make-Ahead Spinach Phyllo Roll-Ups
    >>
    >> Prep Time: 30 min
    >> Total Time: 55 min
    >> Makes: 5 logs, 6 slices each or 30 servings, 1 slice each
    >>
    >> 1 egg, lightly beaten
    >> 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
    >> 1 cup l Crumbled Feta Cheese
    >> 1 tub (8 oz.) Garden Vegetable Light Cream Cheese Spread
    >> 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    >> 15 sheets frozen phyllo sheets (14x9 inch), thawed
    >> 1/3 cup butter, melted
    >>
    >> MIX egg, spinach, feta cheese, cream cheese spread and onions until
    >> well blended. Set aside.
    >>
    >> PLACE 1 of the phyllo sheets on a clean work surface. Brush lightly
    >> with butter. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing more of the
    >> remaining butter between each layer. Place remaining phyllo between
    >> sheets of plastic wrap; set aside.
    >>
    >> SPREAD 1/5 of the spinach mixture along 1 of the short sides of the
    >> phyllo stack; fold in both long sides, then roll up, starting at 1 of
    >> the short sides to make a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets
    >> and spinach mixture to make 4 more logs. Brush with remaining butter.
    >> To prevent phyllo from cracking, score logs at 1-inch intervals. Place
    >> in large freezer-weight resealable plastic bags or wrap tightly in
    >> plastic wrap.
    >>
    >> FREEZE up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove desired number of
    >> logs from freezer. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, several hours or
    >> overnight until thawed. Place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated
    >> 375°F-oven for 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool 5 min.; place on
    >> cutting board. Cut each log into 6 slices with serrated knife to serve.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    > Thanks, Wayne. I'll try this next. Boy!it seemed I had everything in
    > the house dirty boiling the spinach, 4 batches of 8 oz. each. Straining
    > it, etc. Then frying it "up." Perhaps since there is no big onion or
    > garlic in this recipe, I won't have to do the 'fry pan thing' either.
    > I'll look next Wednesday when I 'go uptown' for the Philadelphia Garden
    > Vegetable Light Cream Cheese along with getting the frozen spinach. This
    > will give me use for the second half of the phyllo.
    > DH can figure the rolling up/out part. He's good at that.
    > It seems that Athens is the phyllo of choice and probably the most
    > available.
    > Dee Dee

    I'm glad you're going to try this, Dee. I don't have the time right now
    for much cooking, but am really interested in knowing how these come out.
    It would be a great shortcut from the traditional method.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  4. Dee Randall

> [...]

    >> the house dirty boiling the spinach, 4 batches of 8 oz. each. Straining
    >> it, etc. Then frying it "up." Perhaps since there is no big onion or
    >> garlic in this recipe, I won't have to do the 'fry pan thing' either.
    >> I'll look next Wednesday when I 'go uptown' for the Philadelphia Garden
    >> Vegetable Light Cream Cheese along with getting the frozen spinach. This
    >> will give me use for the second half of the phyllo.
    >> DH can figure the rolling up/out part. He's good at that.
    >> It seems that Athens is the phyllo of choice and probably the most
    >> available.
    >> Dee Dee

    > I'm glad you're going to try this, Dee. I don't have the time right now
    > for much cooking, but am really interested in knowing how these come out.
    > It would be a great shortcut from the traditional method.

    Yeah, sometimes easier tastes better knowing you haven't got all that time
    invested. I have a baked chili rellenos that is my favorite, and in great
    part mostly because it's easier than the traditional way. I'll be making it
    tomorrow. Probably. This morning I saw Fox News doing a oatmeal pancake
    from a restaurant named "Jack and Jill" where the ***stars*** eat their
    breakfast, so the owner said.
    I think I'll make it tomorrow morning. He made it on an electric grill. My
    large electric skillet's legs broke off (I laughed when it happened, it was
    so silly looking) so I'm left to improvise making pancakes. Perhaps I'll
    put them in in a smallish combo Pizzell/Waffle maker I have -- just have to
    make up my mind on getting a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" inch waffle maker.

    Robert Benson, chef and owner of Jack n' Jill's restaurants in the Los
    Angeles area, shows us how to prepare delicious and easy brunch treat!

    Strawberry Oatmeal Pancakes

    Serves 6

    Pancakes will be thick and will take 2-3 minutes per side to cook.

    Ingredients:

    2 cups of rolled oats

    2 cups buttermilk

    4 oz eggs

    2 tablespoon of sugar

    1 teaspoon of baking powder

    1 teaspoon of baking soda

    ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt

    15 medium fresh strawberries, sliced

    Powdered sugar

    Butter and syrup to taste

    Method:

    In a mixing bowl, add the following ingredients:

    Rolled oats

    Buttermilk

    Let soak for 15 minutes

    Add the rest of ingredients, stirring gently until mixed and all dry
    products have been incorporated. Do not over-mix.

    Spoon on a slightly greased griddle or non-stick pan at 350ºF.

    Add 4 or 5 sliced strawberries to each cake.

    Garnish with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar.

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Sat 10 Dec 2005 09:46:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    >> Randall?

    "Thus Spake Zarathustra" is speaking:
    I should've/could've trimmed my last posting, but forgot in my enthusiasm.
    Else I will get 'taken to task.' (Another Hated phrase?)
    Dee Dee

  6. On Sun 11 Dec 2005 12:32:25a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> On Sat 10 Dec 2005 09:46:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    >>> Randall?
    >>>

    > "Thus Spake Zarathustra" is speaking:
    > I should've/could've trimmed my last posting, but forgot in my

    enthusiasm.
    > Else I will get 'taken to task.' (Another Hated phrase?)
    > Dee Dee

    I rather like that phrase.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*