Ping! DH ridiers, M Dark, Slacker etc.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Scott, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    What tires do you reccomend for Snowshoe WV (rocky, rooty and wet) riding...
    DH and FR.

    I will be going to Whistler next year, any tire reccomendations for BC?

    TIA.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What tires do you reccomend for Snowshoe WV (rocky, rooty and wet)

    riding...
    > DH and FR.
    >
    > I will be going to Whistler next year, any tire reccomendations for BC?

    'scuse me but that's Mr. Darth to you. (;^))

    For Snowshoe I highly recommend Maxxis Swampthings for wet muddy conditions.
    But switch to Minions F&R as soon as it dries out. (It can happen!!!)

    Never been to Whistler but imagine the same combo for the similar conditions
    would work fine.

    Mike

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > What tires do you reccomend for Snowshoe WV (rocky, rooty and wet)

    > riding...
    > > DH and FR.
    > >
    > > I will be going to Whistler next year, any tire reccomendations for BC?
    > >

    > 'scuse me but that's Mr. Darth to you. (;^))
    >
    > For Snowshoe I highly recommend Maxxis Swampthings for wet muddy

    conditions.
    > But switch to Minions F&R as soon as it dries out. (It can happen!!!)
    >
    > Never been to Whistler but imagine the same combo for the similar

    conditions
    > would work fine.
    >
    > Mike

    I should add Snowshoe has a couple stages of 'muddiness'.

    1st stage - During and shortly after rain, Roots and rocks are wet and
    slippery. Tires don't pack up. Almost any tread pattern is good, sticky
    rubber is best. Best advice "Follow the water down."

    2nd stage - 1 to 2 days later. Mud turns to peanut butter consistency.
    Roots and rocks get covered with grease. Tires pack up, slightest touch of
    the brakes leads to frame packing up. Swampthings are fairly resistant to
    this effect and tall knobs still find grip. Best advice "Stay off the
    brakes" Yeah, right!!!

    3rd stage - actually 2nd plus fresh cut trail. Bits of organic fibre, tiny
    roots, worms, Cheat Mountain Salamanders and pine needles provide a binding
    medium to the mud. Renders a bike totally undridable or even pushable.
    You'll wind up draggin' the dammed thing behind you by the fork leg. Best
    advice "Stay off the trail."

    See http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/18033766 Yes, that's an earthworm.

    Mike

  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > I should add Snowshoe has a couple stages of 'muddiness'.

    <snip>
    > See http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/18033766 Yes, that's an earthworm.
    >
    > Mike

    What stage is that pic from?

    John M

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Michael Dart wrote:
    > >
    > > > I should add Snowshoe has a couple stages of 'muddiness'.

    > > <snip>
    > > > See http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/18033766 Yes, that's an

    > earthworm.
    > > >
    > > > Mike

    > > What stage is that pic from?
    > >

    > Stage 3.
    >
    > Mike

    And no, I do not condone riding wet muddy trails. Snowshoe is different as
    it's on somewhat private property and they move the downhill courses around.
    The terrain is rock based with a thin layer of organic matter on top. An
    abandoned trail completely disappears in a couple years.

    Mike

  9. jack

    jack Guest