PING gloria p: Thanks for the wine recipe.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Steve Calvin, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September. I couldn't use the oranges
    that the recipe called for. A five gallon brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.

    The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely. I think that I'll let it age
    a while longer though. :)

    --
    Steve

  2. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:

    > I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September. I couldn't use the oranges
    > that the recipe called for. A five gallon brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.
    >
    > The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely. I think that I'll let it
    > age a while longer though. :)

    Forgive the follow-up. Just to clarify. I made it in September 2002.

    --
    Steve

  3. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Steve Calvin wrote:

    > I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September. I couldn't use the oranges
    > that the recipe called for. A five gallon brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.
    >
    > The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely. I think that I'll let it
    > age a while longer though. :)
    >
    > --
    > Steve

    You're welcome. The recipe is over 35 years old. If we ever have a decent tomato crop (bad climate)
    again, maybe I'll try another batch.

    gloria p

  4. Steve Calvin wrote:

    > I just opened a bottle of the tomato wine that I made last September. I couldn't use the oranges
    > that the recipe called for. A five gallon brewers bucket just wasn't big enough.
    >
    > The wine is fantastic though! THANKS. It has mellowed out very nicely. I think that I'll let it
    > age a while longer though. :)
    >
    > --
    > Steve
    >
    > Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.

    Darn! That brings to mind my grandfather's cashew fruit wine.

    My grandfather owned a small farm in Western Cuba. The road to the "big house" was lined with cashew
    trees. I don't know if you have ever seen cashew fruit but it is pear shaped, the skin is very
    colorful, orange, red, yellow and the nut grows on the bottom of the fruit. Actually the "fuit" is
    the engorged stem of the nut which is the true fruit.

    Every year he used to gather a huge lot of the fruit, run the fruit through a meat grinder and
    collect the juice. It is a very tart, mouth puckering liquid. Eating cashew fruit is probably an
    acquired taste. He would put the juice in very old wooden barrels that he would reuse from year to
    year. From this came some wine, a bit like a very dry sherry that would be stored and be drunk only
    at very special times like weddings, births, funerals.

    He passed away in 1952 and when I left Cuba in 1961 there were four bottles left of the last
    pressing he had done, back in 1950. My mother opened one and we drank some of it. It was wonderful.

    I am going to grab a bottle of Sandeman for this Christmas. Perhaps it is time to start a small
    tradition.

    Bert Cuba, here the shadows lie

  5. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    <snip>

    > I am going to grab a bottle of Sandeman for this Christmas. Perhaps it is time to start a small
    > tradition.
    >
    > Bert Cuba, here the shadows lie

    Keeping traditions alive is always healthy. If for nothing else, the mind.

    --
    Steve