PING : JNUGENT - you're sending out virus's mate

"Grant Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > So this means Outlook Express also builds an address book from newsgroup articles? I assume so
> > since that is the only contact
I've
> > ever had with JNugent. That must be a bloody enormous address
book
> > for any normal usenet user.
>
> One of the options in OE is "Automatically put people I reply to in
my
> Address Book". I'm pretty sure it's turned on by default. It covers
both
> newsgroup and email replies.

OE only puts people into the Address Book who you have e-mailed directly, not replies to NG posts.
--

Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Doug <[email protected]> wrote:

> JNUGENT
>
> I just received an e-mail from your account headed
>
> Re: Question for seller -- Item #934222988
>
> and containing a virus infected attachment.

<AOL>

Or rather my firewall logged two emails from JNugent. It doesnt record the subject line. One was
sent in response to a post I made in uk.transport, the other in response to a post I made in
uk.rec.driving.

--
end.

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote:

|| [email protected] says...

||| Outlook Express..nuff said.

|| So this means Outlook Express also builds an address book from newsgroup articles? I assume so
|| since that is the only contact I've ever had with JNugent. That must be a bloody enormous address
|| book for any normal usenet user.

No it doesn't seem to. You aren't in my address book (just checked).

Apologies once more *if* the fault was mine.

Anybody else infected - the easiest removal tool I found is available for free download at
www.McAfee.com

---

In article <[email protected]>, JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip off.

> Should have been sorted out now (courtesy of the McAfee site).

> Sorry, everyone, don't know where it came from.

Well, I tried to play it since it was a sound file, but nothing happened. ;-)

Quite a coincidence since I've got something for sale on eBay and my name is Dave. Spooky.

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman [email protected] London SW 12 RIP Acorn

Redonda <[email protected]> wrote:

> OE only puts people into the Address Book who you have e-mailed directly, not replies to NG posts.

Umm no, that's untrue.

Firstly OE most definitely adds NG posts into an address list. This may not be what users consider
"the address book", but I discovered when I used the Nokia Phone Sync software that it listed
virtually every bloody address from every newsgroup.

Secondly as proof of concept, the email addresses that JNugent's infected Outlook Express sent mail
to have never been used for email, only NG postings.

--
end.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you 'mung' your address? I have been meaning to find out for some
time. Jo "Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > I assume so since that is the only contact I've ever had with JNugent. That must be a bloody
> > enormous address book for any normal usenet user.
>
> No, it's not like that. Klez and other viruses of this period tend to scan the hard drive for mail
> addresses buried in the cache, downloaded news postings, that sort of thing. The poor fellow
> probably didn't have any of you in his address book. It's worth pointing ou that this is a good
> reason to use either a trash account for usenet (I use a Freeserve account but
I'm
> on Blueyonder, I only look at it every couple of days) or munging your address. Note that the
> recipients were using an unmunged address.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is
> it chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a
> bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

Change your address in the newsgroup setup to something like [email protected]

(btw I've replaced my own email address with spammers addresses <g>)

Cheers

Daytona

"Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Excuse my ignorance, but how do you 'mung' your address? I have been
meaning
> to find out for some time. Jo

It's just a bit of jargon for putting something in to your address to stop this from happening
something that a virus or as was originally intended a spam bot (a program that gathers e-mail
addresses for mailing lists) would not recognise as being inserted to make the address invalid but a
person would for example your address is [email protected] a common insertion is SPAMTRAP or
NOSPAM to make your address read [email protected] now to be honest those 2 are so
common that most spam bots can spot and remove them.

To make the changes in outlook express version 6 (the one you are using, by the way the service
patch that is now out fixes some security bugs) you need to right click on the name of your news
server probably news.ntlworld.com or text.news.ntlworld.com and select Properties from the drop down
box then simple make a change to the displayed e-mail address that is about the 3rd box down in the
second pain (or the 4th box all together)

"Daytona" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Change your address in the newsgroup setup to something like [email protected]
>
> (btw I've replaced my own email address with spammers addresses <g>)

That's a bit like replacing the return address with one of those that gives an automated response
when you e-mail someone who gives an automated response an infinite e-mail loop as it were.

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:10:13 -0000, "Depresion" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Daytona" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Change your address in the newsgroup setup to something like [email protected]
>>
>> (btw I've replaced my own email address with spammers addresses <g>)
>
>That's a bit like replacing the return address with one of those that gives an automated response
>when you e-mail someone who gives an automated response an infinite e-mail loop as it were.

That sounds like fun, but how often does email to the spam address give an auto reply ?

Cheers

Daytona

"Daytona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:10:13 -0000, "Depresion" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Daytona" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Change your address in the newsgroup setup to something like [email protected]
> >>
> >> (btw I've replaced my own email address with spammers addresses <g>)
> >
> >That's a bit like replacing the return address with one of those that
gives
> >an automated response when you e-mail someone who gives an automated response an infinite e-mail
> >loop as it were.
> >

> That sounds like fun, but how often does email to the spam address give an auto reply ?

Not a lot it's normally useless support departments that have huge forms that you need to fill in
then they give an auto reply that tells you to do what you already explained you have done with a
message about ringing there premium rate number if it doesn't help.

In article <1fqpg3d.qp100u16cw60wN%[email protected]>, david stevenson <[email protected]> writes
>Paul Kelly <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> And me . please check it out.

>What, exactly, is the point of all these follow-ups, quoting the original piece and effectively
>just adding the old AOL staple of "me too"?

I'd like to know that, too.

>Hoagy (got it, but I don't care as I don't run Windows)

Me too, and I don't care either, although I do have Windows.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <1fqpg3d.qp100u16cw60wN%[email protected]>, david stevenson <[email protected]> writes
> >Paul Kelly <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> And me . please check it out.
>
> >What, exactly, is the point of all these follow-ups, quoting the original piece and effectively
> >just adding the old AOL staple of "me too"?
>
> I'd like to know that, too.

Clearly not everyone is the paragon of perfection you guys pretend to be.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:18:47 -0000, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Clearly not everyone is the paragon of perfection you guys pretend to be.

Me Too

DG

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <1fqpg3d.qp100u16cw60wN%[email protected]>, david stevenson <[email protected]> writes
> >Paul Kelly <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> And me . please check it out.
>
> >What, exactly, is the point of all these follow-ups, quoting the original piece and effectively
> >just adding the old AOL staple of "me too"?
>
> I'd like to know that, too.
>
> >Hoagy (got it, but I don't care as I don't run Windows)
>
> Me too, and I don't care either, although I do have Windows.
>
> --
> congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

ok - i just got it - very good!