Ping: Karen - Niman Ranch

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
    reply to.
    But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
    "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
    too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
    range fed, organic, whatever."

    I'm on the east coast.
    The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA. Whole
    Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt pork
    that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful product
    it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I buy Whole
    Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked at a piece
    of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts they carry
    are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
    I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
    Yum -- I love food talk.
    Dee Dee

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
    > reply to.
    > But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
    > "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
    > too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
    > range fed, organic, whatever."
    >
    > I'm on the east coast.
    > The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA. Whole
    > Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt pork
    > that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful product
    > it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I buy Whole
    > Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked at a piece
    > of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts they carry
    > are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
    > I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
    > Yum -- I love food talk.
    > Dee Dee

    My local TJ's only has Niman Ranch stew meat. It is good, but I do wish
    they had other cuts. They also carry Niman Ranch bacon which is very
    good and is boxed.

    marcella

  3. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
    > reply to.
    > But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
    > "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
    > too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
    > range fed, organic, whatever."
    >
    > I'm on the east coast.
    > The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA.
    > Whole Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt
    > pork that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful
    > product it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I
    > buy Whole Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked
    > at a piece of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts
    > they carry are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
    > I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
    > Yum -- I love food talk.
    > Dee Dee

    When I go the coast there is a little grocery store that carries Niman Ranch
    beef. I get 2 pounds of stew meat every time I'm there. It is SO tender
    and delicious. Beef Stew doesn't sound like Beach food, but eat it every
    time we're there. I'd love to find it closer to home.

    Lynne

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Marcella Peek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
    >> reply to.
    >> But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
    >> "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
    >> too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
    >> range fed, organic, whatever."
    >>
    >> I'm on the east coast.
    >> The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA.
    >> Whole
    >> Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt pork
    >> that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful
    >> product
    >> it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I buy
    >> Whole
    >> Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked at a
    >> piece
    >> of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts they
    >> carry
    >> are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
    >> I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
    >> Yum -- I love food talk.
    >> Dee Dee

    > My local TJ's only has Niman Ranch stew meat. It is good, but I do wish
    > they had other cuts. They also carry Niman Ranch bacon which is very
    > good and is boxed.
    >
    > marcella

    Marcella, in which part of the country do you shop at TJ's.
    Dee Dee

  5. Harriet Neal

    Harriet Neal Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
    > reply to.
    > But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
    > "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
    > too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
    > range fed, organic, whatever."

    TJ's west coast office is in Monrovia, CA...about 2 miles from where I live.
    The east coast office is, I believe, in Boston, MA..Niman's may not ship all
    of their products to the east coast..call the TJ office (there's a toll free
    number on the website) and ask about the Niman's brand.

    Harriet & critters

  6. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Marcella Peek wrote:

    > My local TJ's only has Niman Ranch stew meat. It is good, but I do wish
    > they had other cuts. They also carry Niman Ranch bacon which is very
    > good and is boxed.

    Different parts of the country must offer different items at the TJs.

    I can get Niman chateaubriand and stew meat. There's also the TJs brand
    of beef. I have purchased the little filets and it was surprisingly
    flavorful.

    Oh beware of the chicken at TJs. One is sold whole, fresh, range fed,
    and good. There's also the whole fresh chicken that is cut-up. I was
    very disappointed to find out the cut-up chicken was brined. I am
    developing an aversion to brined anything, I think.

    Karen

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Marcella, in which part of the country do you shop at TJ's.
    > Dee Dee

    I'm just south of San Francisco.

    marcella

  8. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh beware of the chicken at TJs. One is sold whole, fresh, range fed,
    >and good. There's also the whole fresh chicken that is cut-up. I was
    >very disappointed to find out the cut-up chicken was brined. I am
    >developing an aversion to brined anything, I think.

    TJ's sells kosher chicken, which is salted. I'm not sure whether
    its actually brined, rather than just salted for awhile.

    It does mean you need to leave all the salt out of whatever
    recipe you're using it in, but I have found it to be pretty
    good chicken if it's the boneless leg meat. Made a killer
    chicken pot pie with it recently.

    Steve

  9. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Steve Pope wrote:
    > TJ's sells kosher chicken, which is salted. I'm not sure whether
    > its actually brined, rather than just salted for awhile.
    >
    > It does mean you need to leave all the salt out of whatever
    > recipe you're using it in, but I have found it to be pretty
    > good chicken if it's the boneless leg meat. Made a killer
    > chicken pot pie with it recently.

    Is salt one of the things that makes meat kosher?

    Karen

  10. Rickie Beth

    Rickie Beth Guest

    Karen wrote:

    > Is salt one of the things that makes meat kosher?
    >
    > Karen

    There are several steps for kashering meat -- the kosher chicken sold
    at TJs that I've seen is Empire Brand, and they have an excellent
    rundown of their kashering process on their website:
    http://www.empirekosher.com/jump.php?contentpage=pages/chicken.html I
    personally don't find the kosher chicken to be especially salty, but
    that's probably because I'm so used it by now.

    --RB

  11. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

  12. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is salt one of the things that makes meat kosher?

    Yes, I'm not expert, but kosher meat is drained of blood both literally
    during slaughter, and ritually by koshering -- coating in salt to
    remove fluids.

    Steve