Ping: Karen - Niman Ranch

Dee Randall

Guest
Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
reply to.
But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
"Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
range fed, organic, whatever."

I'm on the east coast.
The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA. Whole
Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt pork
that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful product
it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I buy Whole
Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked at a piece
of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts they carry
are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
Yum -- I love food talk.
Dee Dee

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
> reply to.
> But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
> "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
> too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
> range fed, organic, whatever."
>
> I'm on the east coast.
> The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA. Whole
> Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt pork
> that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful product
> it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I buy Whole
> Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked at a piece
> of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts they carry
> are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
> I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
> Yum -- I love food talk.
> Dee Dee

My local TJ's only has Niman Ranch stew meat. It is good, but I do wish
they had other cuts. They also carry Niman Ranch bacon which is very
good and is boxed.

marcella

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
> reply to.
> But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
> "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
> too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
> range fed, organic, whatever."
>
> I'm on the east coast.
> The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA.
> Whole Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt
> pork that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful
> product it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I
> buy Whole Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked
> at a piece of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts
> they carry are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
> I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
> Yum -- I love food talk.
> Dee Dee

When I go the coast there is a little grocery store that carries Niman Ranch
beef. I get 2 pounds of stew meat every time I'm there. It is SO tender
and delicious. Beef Stew doesn't sound like Beach food, but eat it every
time we're there. I'd love to find it closer to home.

Lynne

"Marcella Peek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
>> reply to.
>> But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
>> "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
>> too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
>> range fed, organic, whatever."
>>
>> I'm on the east coast.
>> The last trip I made to TJ's and Whole Foods was in Falls Church, VA.
>> Whole
>> Foods does have Niman SALT PORK and I was estatic just to find salt pork
>> that I came home and googled "Niman" and found out what a wonderful
>> product
>> it is (according to their website). But as far as I know, when I buy
>> Whole
>> Foods beef, it doesn't have the name, Niman, on it (just looked at a
>> piece
>> of chuck and it doesn't, but maybe only the more expensive cuts they
>> carry
>> are Niman- don't know). Nor have I found Niman beef at TJ's.
>> I'll keep my eye out, though. It's on my list; it and the Dolma.
>> Yum -- I love food talk.
>> Dee Dee

> My local TJ's only has Niman Ranch stew meat. It is good, but I do wish
> they had other cuts. They also carry Niman Ranch bacon which is very
> good and is boxed.
>
> marcella

Marcella, in which part of the country do you shop at TJ's.
Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry, can't find your (Karen) posting about TJ's. Just won't show up to
> reply to.
> But here's what I copied of your email, and my answer below:
> "Yeah TJs brand fresh beef. It's great. TJs also sells the fancy beef
> too.. niemen ranch, which is awesome. I think both are naturally grown,
> range fed, organic, whatever."

TJ's west coast office is in Monrovia, CA...about 2 miles from where I live.
The east coast office is, I believe, in Boston, MA..Niman's may not ship all
of their products to the east coast..call the TJ office (there's a toll free
number on the website) and ask about the Niman's brand.

Harriet & critters

Marcella Peek wrote:

> My local TJ's only has Niman Ranch stew meat. It is good, but I do wish
> they had other cuts. They also carry Niman Ranch bacon which is very
> good and is boxed.

Different parts of the country must offer different items at the TJs.

I can get Niman chateaubriand and stew meat. There's also the TJs brand
of beef. I have purchased the little filets and it was surprisingly
flavorful.

Oh beware of the chicken at TJs. One is sold whole, fresh, range fed,
and good. There's also the whole fresh chicken that is cut-up. I was
very disappointed to find out the cut-up chicken was brined. I am
developing an aversion to brined anything, I think.

Karen

Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh beware of the chicken at TJs. One is sold whole, fresh, range fed,
>and good. There's also the whole fresh chicken that is cut-up. I was
>very disappointed to find out the cut-up chicken was brined. I am
>developing an aversion to brined anything, I think.

TJ's sells kosher chicken, which is salted. I'm not sure whether
its actually brined, rather than just salted for awhile.

It does mean you need to leave all the salt out of whatever
recipe you're using it in, but I have found it to be pretty
good chicken if it's the boneless leg meat. Made a killer
chicken pot pie with it recently.

Steve

Steve Pope wrote:
> TJ's sells kosher chicken, which is salted. I'm not sure whether
> its actually brined, rather than just salted for awhile.
>
> It does mean you need to leave all the salt out of whatever
> recipe you're using it in, but I have found it to be pretty
> good chicken if it's the boneless leg meat. Made a killer
> chicken pot pie with it recently.

Is salt one of the things that makes meat kosher?

Karen

Karen wrote:

> Is salt one of the things that makes meat kosher?
>
> Karen

There are several steps for kashering meat -- the kosher chicken sold
at TJs that I've seen is Empire Brand, and they have an excellent
rundown of their kashering process on their website:
http://www.empirekosher.com/jump.php?contentpage=pages/chicken.html I
personally don't find the kosher chicken to be especially salty, but
that's probably because I'm so used it by now.

--RB

Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is salt one of the things that makes meat kosher?

Yes, I'm not expert, but kosher meat is drained of blood both literally
during slaughter, and ritually by koshering -- coating in salt to
remove fluids.

Steve