Ping.....Martin Anderseck

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Jagur, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Jagur

    Jagur Guest

    Tags:

  2. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    A guy at NAUCC was doing the trials with clip-ins. He was
    fantastic. He was obviously one with the machine and his
    connection with it was tighter than the hand-on-handle
    thing. I wasn't able to watch all his runs, but the ones I
    saw were very impressive.

    --
    U-Turn - Wholly Roller

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

    'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

    -- Dave Stockton

  3. Mojoe

    Mojoe Guest

    Yes the guy at the NAUCC was petty good, but I think
    clipless pedals are better suited to trials riding than
    other types of riding.

    After seeing the guy at the NAUCC, I thought I'd give
    clipless a try on my muni, just to see what it would be
    like. For hopping around, it was fine, but I didn't find
    myself jumping any higher.

    The problem came with forward riding. It's easyy to unclip
    while just hopping or staying in one spot, but it's not so
    easy when riding. I practiced riding across my grass yard
    and I coudn't safely dismount while riding forward.

    So, off with the clipless pedals.

    later.... Mojoe

    --
    Mojoe - DILLIGAF

    Nothing to see here... move along.
    Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Nope, I won't add a bloody picture because my face is still
    ok ;) I just tried it for about one hour to see what it's
    like. The pedals were set to dismount easily and the cleats
    in the shoes were already very "destroyed" by walking. So it
    was very easy to leave the pedal, I only had one "almost-
    crash" where my feet were on the ground somewhat later than
    normal. Anyway: I'd never do that for muniing because the
    danger of falling and not being able to dismount is much too
    big. But I can imagine that for one foot cycling it could be
    quite useful as you're able to push and pull the pedal. All
    in all a nice experience but I wouldn't recommend it for
    every day's use, the pedals fit better to my b**e....

    Bye, Martin with the healthy face :D

    --
    martin - Muni Newbie
    martin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4293

  5. Bugman

    Bugman Guest

    The guy at NAUCC also fell on one of the harder obstacles,
    and I think he broke his arm. Not sure if it was broken, I
    never saw him go to the hospital. I did se him asleep on the
    park bench in front of the gym icing his arm. That was about
    the time that the Muni Orienteering started. If any body
    here knows him, do you know if he was alright? He took one
    hell of a spill.

    Those that competed in the trials event would remember the
    obstacle. I believe it was the hardest one. It started with
    a car then went to I believe a cable reel to some boards set
    up like this /\ /\ /\ /\ and as he was hopping from one to
    the next he slammed into the top of one of those /\. I
    cringed as I watched him hit and when he got up his arm
    looked limp.

    It may have happened even if his feet weren't clipped in,
    but I am sure it didn't help.

    --
    bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

    "Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
    like trying to balance a wet noodle"
    Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_

  6. John_childs

    John_childs Guest

    bugman wrote:
    > *The guy at NAUCC also fell on one of the harder
    > obstacles, and I think he broke his arm. Not sure if it
    > was broken, I never saw him go to the hospital. I did se
    > him asleep on the park bench in front of the gym icing his
    > arm. That was about the time that the Muni Orienteering
    > started. If any body here knows him, do you know if he was
    > alright? He took one hell of a spill. *

    Jack Hughes took a spill on the trials course and hurt his
    arm. I don't know if he broke it or not. But he spent a good
    portion of the day after that laying on the bench in front
    of the gym putting ice on his wrist. It may have been Jack
    Hughes that you saw take the fall, but Jack was not using
    clipless pedals.

    I did see the guy doing the trials with the clipless pedals.
    Slightly crazy to think of doing that, but he was doing OK.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  7. Bugman

    Bugman Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > * Jack Hughes took a spill on the trials course and hurt
    > his arm. I don't know if he broke it or not. But he spent
    > a good portion of the day after that laying on the bench
    > in front of the gym putting ice on his wrist. It may have
    > been Jack Hughes that you saw take the fall, but Jack was
    > not using clipless pedals.
    >
    > I did see the guy doing the trials with the clipless
    > pedals. Slightly crazy to think of doing that, but he was
    > doing OK. *

    I stand corrected. Thanks John.