Ping MattB, Shawn (CO Boys)

GeeDubb wrote:
>>Which bike should I bring? Just finished a ride at Buffalo Creek
>>(report later) and the Racer-X was the killer machine for that loop.
>>
>>Do you need me to bring any food, beverage, etc? I still may go straight to your place. I negotiated a 1/2 day on Friday.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws

> Bring the X, from my understanding and I know I'll be corrected, the Crest has a good initial climb then a bunch of down.
> As for food, bring your Coke fix, something to throw on the grill, munchies if you wish. We can stop in Montrose on the way back
> Saturday and buy anything we may need.
> How the heck did you swing a 1/2 day one week into a new job? Sounds like the planets were aligned right with this job! What time
> does your meeting in MOAB start on Monday? Your welcome to stay Sunday night and drive over in the morning (1.5 hours or 2).

You're planning to do the Crest? Screw moving duties, I'm coming. It's
20 miles away ferchrisake!

Shawn

Shawn wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>> Which bike should I bring? Just finished a ride at Buffalo Creek
>>> (report later) and the Racer-X was the killer machine for that loop.
>>>
>>> Do you need me to bring any food, beverage, etc? I still may go
>>> straight to your place. I negotiated a 1/2 day on Friday.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws

>> Bring the X, from my understanding and I know I'll be corrected, the
>> Crest has a good initial climb then a bunch of down.
>> As for food, bring your Coke fix, something to throw on the grill,
>> munchies if you wish. We can stop in Montrose on the way back
>> Saturday and buy anything we may need.
>> How the heck did you swing a 1/2 day one week into a new job? Sounds
>> like the planets were aligned right with this job! What time does
>> your meeting in MOAB start on Monday? Your welcome to stay Sunday
>> night and drive over in the morning (1.5 hours or 2).

> You're planning to do the Crest? Screw moving duties, I'm coming. It's
> 20 miles away ferchrisake!
>
> Shawn

YEAH!

The house will move itself.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Shawn wrote:

>>> Bring the X, from my understanding and I know I'll be corrected, the
>>> Crest has a good initial climb then a bunch of down.
>>> As for food, bring your Coke fix, something to throw on the grill,
>>> munchies if you wish. We can stop in Montrose on the way back
>>> Saturday and buy anything we may need.
>>> How the heck did you swing a 1/2 day one week into a new job? Sounds
>>> like the planets were aligned right with this job! What time does
>>> your meeting in MOAB start on Monday? Your welcome to stay Sunday
>>> night and drive over in the morning (1.5 hours or 2).

>> You're planning to do the Crest? Screw moving duties, I'm coming.
>> It's 20 miles away ferchrisake!
>>
>> Shawn

> YEAH!
>
> The house will move itself.

Sure! I just got all moved myself, but I don;t think my house pulled
it's fair share!

But come along if you want, that would be fun. I may have some skier
friends coming too so we might have a reasonable group.
Besides the Crest, we could also do Agate Creek for a slightly shorter,
but similarly spectacular ride (they have the same ridegline section of
trail).
Crest to Rainbow is like 36 Mi and although the shuttle cuts a lot of
vertical, it's still got some good climbs. Agate is 34 Miles (4300'
Vertical)as a loop on Old Monarch, so I think if we shuttle that then
it's more like 24 Miles and much less climbing (but still some).

We can always decide last minute too...

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>> Shawn wrote:

>>> You're planning to do the Crest? Screw moving duties, I'm coming.
>>> It's 20 miles away ferchrisake!
>>>
>>> Shawn

>> YEAH!
>>
>> The house will move itself.
>>

> Sure! I just got all moved myself, but I don;t think my house pulled
> it's fair share!
>
> But come along if you want, that would be fun. I may have some skier
> friends coming too so we might have a reasonable group.
> Besides the Crest, we could also do Agate Creek for a slightly shorter,
> but similarly spectacular ride (they have the same ridegline section of
> trail).
> Crest to Rainbow is like 36 Mi and although the shuttle cuts a lot of
> vertical, it's still got some good climbs. Agate is 34 Miles (4300'
> Vertical)as a loop on Old Monarch, so I think if we shuttle that then
> it's more like 24 Miles and much less climbing (but still some).

Shuttling Agate is what you took me, JD, and Sorni on, right? If so,
I'd definitely recommend it for R-A-L and GeeDubb, especially if they're
going to be doing another big ride the next day. We did 401 from
Crested Butte the next day and I don't think the Agate Creek ride
affected me much.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> YEAH!
>>>
>>> The house will move itself.
>>>

>> Sure! I just got all moved myself, but I don;t think my house pulled
>> it's fair share!
>>
>> But come along if you want, that would be fun. I may have some skier
>> friends coming too so we might have a reasonable group.
>> Besides the Crest, we could also do Agate Creek for a slightly
>> shorter, but similarly spectacular ride (they have the same ridegline
>> section of trail).
>> Crest to Rainbow is like 36 Mi and although the shuttle cuts a lot of
>> vertical, it's still got some good climbs. Agate is 34 Miles (4300'
>> Vertical)as a loop on Old Monarch, so I think if we shuttle that then
>> it's more like 24 Miles and much less climbing (but still some).
>>

> Shuttling Agate is what you took me, JD, and Sorni on, right? If so,
> I'd definitely recommend it for R-A-L and GeeDubb, especially if they're
> going to be doing another big ride the next day. We did 401 from
> Crested Butte the next day and I don't think the Agate Creek ride
> affected me much.
>
> Greg

Yeah, that was it. It's what I'm leaning towards too.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>> MattB wrote:
>> Shuttling Agate is what you took me, JD, and Sorni on, right? If so,
>> I'd definitely recommend it for R-A-L and GeeDubb, especially if
>> they're going to be doing another big ride the next day. We did 401
>> from Crested Butte the next day and I don't think the Agate Creek ride
>> affected me much.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Yeah, that was it. It's what I'm leaning towards too.
>
> Matt

It's all new to me, so lead on. I don't complain much, just pass out. ;)

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>> G.T. wrote:
>>> MattB wrote:
>>> Shuttling Agate is what you took me, JD, and Sorni on, right? If so,
>>> I'd definitely recommend it for R-A-L and GeeDubb, especially if
>>> they're going to be doing another big ride the next day. We did 401
>>> from Crested Butte the next day and I don't think the Agate Creek
>>> ride affected me much.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> Yeah, that was it. It's what I'm leaning towards too.
>>
>> Matt

> It's all new to me, so lead on. I don't complain much, just pass out. ;)

We are still planning on Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek, on Sunday.
The real issue will be weather. At best we will start riding at 9:00. If
the weather pattern holds the same, it will be difficult to convince the
group to start the ride considering how much time you spend above tree
line.
We may have to form a back up plan, which is difficult because
everything between Ridgway and Durango is high elevation.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> Yeah, that was it. It's what I'm leaning towards too.
>>>
>>> Matt

>> It's all new to me, so lead on. I don't complain much, just pass out. ;)
>>

> We are still planning on Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek, on Sunday.
> The real issue will be weather. At best we will start riding at 9:00. If
> the weather pattern holds the same, it will be difficult to convince the
> group to start the ride considering how much time you spend above tree
> line.
> We may have to form a back up plan, which is difficult because
> everything between Ridgway and Durango is high elevation.

Does it get too hot or are storms the problem?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> It's all new to me, so lead on. I don't complain much, just pass
>>> out. ;)
>>>

>> We are still planning on Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek, on Sunday.
>> The real issue will be weather. At best we will start riding at 9:00.
>> If the weather pattern holds the same, it will be difficult to
>> convince the group to start the ride considering how much time you
>> spend above tree line.
>> We may have to form a back up plan, which is difficult because
>> everything between Ridgway and Durango is high elevation.
>>

> Does it get too hot or are storms the problem?

Storms. Being above tree line in a lightning storm is pretty
intimidating. We'll need to start pretty early (for me) too. By 9:00
should be fine for Saturday. Most of the high exposed stuff happens
pretty early in the ride and then we drop into the trees.

Matt

>> Does it get too hot or are storms the problem?
>>

> Storms. Being above tree line in a lightning storm is pretty intimidating.
> We'll need to start pretty early (for me) too. By 9:00 should be fine for
> Saturday. Most of the high exposed stuff happens pretty early in the ride
> and then we drop into the trees.
>
> Matt

Ah c'mon, a good lightning exposure above tree line would be a GREAT welcome
to Colorado for Mitch. You haven't lived until you can smell ozone, your
hair is standing on end, and you can hear the electricity crackling in the
air.

Plus, aren't you grounded if you are on a bike?

ps

small change wrote:
>>> Does it get too hot or are storms the problem?
>>>

>> Storms. Being above tree line in a lightning storm is pretty intimidating.
>> We'll need to start pretty early (for me) too. By 9:00 should be fine for
>> Saturday. Most of the high exposed stuff happens pretty early in the ride
>> and then we drop into the trees.
>>
>> Matt

> Ah c'mon, a good lightning exposure above tree line would be a GREAT welcome
> to Colorado for Mitch. You haven't lived until you can smell ozone, your
> hair is standing on end, and you can hear the electricity crackling in the
> air.
>
> Plus, aren't you grounded if you are on a bike?
>

> ps

I've already been there, two years ago in the back bowls of vail.
Lightening within feet of me, golf ball hail, and nothing but a couple
of rocks and a tree.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> Yeah, that was it. It's what I'm leaning towards too.
>>>
>>> Matt

>> It's all new to me, so lead on. I don't complain much, just pass out. ;)
>>

> We are still planning on Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade Creek, on Sunday.
> The real issue will be weather. At best we will start riding at 9:00. If the weather pattern holds the same, it will be difficult
> to convince the group to start the ride considering how much time you spend above tree line.
> We may have to form a back up plan, which is difficult because everything between Ridgway and Durango is high elevation.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
>
> Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Just give me a time and place to be and we'll be there.

Gary

MattB wrote:
> ...But come along if you want, that would be fun. I may have some
> skier friends coming too so we might have a reasonable group.
> Besides the Crest, we could also do Agate Creek for a slightly shorter,
> but similarly spectacular ride (they have the same ridegline section of
> trail).
> We can always decide last minute too...

Hey Matt and fellers, Shawn told me about this plan, and I'm
going to join y'all if that's OK. I'm going to drive my truck over
to Sargents early, climb up Old Monarch, and be at Monarch
(new Monarch) by 9am. Then I'll join you if you're still going
down Agate, so I can get at least 2 or 3 people a lift up to
the pass to get your vehicles.

I think Shawn was planning to have his wife help with shuttling,
but perhaps she won't need to, since you guys will be able to
just show up at Monarch without worrying about leaving a
vehicle at the bottom.

Do please let me know if you decide to drop your plans.
Email me at team_bfd at yahoo d0t com.
--
Tom Purvis
Salida, CO - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Tom Purvis wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>...But come along if you want, that would be fun. I may have some
>>skier friends coming too so we might have a reasonable group.
>>Besides the Crest, we could also do Agate Creek for a slightly shorter,
>>but similarly spectacular ride (they have the same ridegline section of
>>trail).
>>We can always decide last minute too...

> Hey Matt and fellers, Shawn told me about this plan, and I'm
> going to join y'all if that's OK. I'm going to drive my truck over
> to Sargents early, climb up Old Monarch, and be at Monarch
> (new Monarch) by 9am. Then I'll join you if you're still going
> down Agate, so I can get at least 2 or 3 people a lift up to
> the pass to get your vehicles.
>
> I think Shawn was planning to have his wife help with shuttling,
> but perhaps she won't need to, since you guys will be able to
> just show up at Monarch without worrying about leaving a
> vehicle at the bottom.
>
> Do please let me know if you decide to drop your plans.
> Email me at team_bfd at yahoo d0t com.
> --
> Tom Purvis
> Salida, CO - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Nice! You're doing it the "real" way! Of course you're welcome to join,
especially if you are going to do some shuttling! :)

I'll send out another email, but let's amend the plan to just meet at
the top parking lot at 9:00. That will save Mitch having to come down
the West side until we ride it.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> ... the plan to just meet at
> the top parking lot at 9:00. That will save Mitch having to come down
> the West side until we ride it.

This ride suffered from unfortunate timing. We had biblical rain
yesterday.

My friend Andrew and I started out before 7 AM riding up to Monarch
Pass to meet the fellers. It was sprinkling on us under heavy cloud
cover, but normal CO weather would dictate that this would burn off
at least temporarily for a little bit of pretty morning weather at
least before the afternoon rain.

Well, it wasn't normal CO weather. About halfway up the 9 mile climb
it started raining HARD. Since we were climbing, we didn't really get
cold. Until we got to the top, that is. We put on rain gear and rode
the mile or so of singletrack from Old Monarch Pass to Monarch
Pass. The rain was even harder, and a cold wind was blowing.

Andrew and I went into the john to wring out the clothing that
could be wrung out. Then we hung out in the gift shop at Monarch
Pass and discussed options. As we watched, the rain came down
harder still. Eventually I caught a ride down to retrieve my truck
from the west side, and Andrew and I went home. MattB, Shawn,
and the rest were considering trying to ride at Hartmans.

It took me the rest of the day to shake my chill, and it rained HARD
all day in Salida. Too bad, I was really looking forward to Agate with
the a.m-b crew. Another time I guess...
--
Tom Purvis
Salida, CO - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

"Tom Purvis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> MattB wrote:
>> ... the plan to just meet at
>> the top parking lot at 9:00. That will save Mitch having to come down
>> the West side until we ride it.

> This ride suffered from unfortunate timing. We had biblical rain
> yesterday.
>
> My friend Andrew and I started out before 7 AM riding up to Monarch
> Pass to meet the fellers. It was sprinkling on us under heavy cloud
> cover, but normal CO weather would dictate that this would burn off
> at least temporarily for a little bit of pretty morning weather at
> least before the afternoon rain.
>
> Well, it wasn't normal CO weather. About halfway up the 9 mile climb
> it started raining HARD. Since we were climbing, we didn't really get
> cold. Until we got to the top, that is. We put on rain gear and rode
> the mile or so of singletrack from Old Monarch Pass to Monarch
> Pass. The rain was even harder, and a cold wind was blowing.
>
> Andrew and I went into the john to wring out the clothing that
> could be wrung out. Then we hung out in the gift shop at Monarch
> Pass and discussed options. As we watched, the rain came down
> harder still. Eventually I caught a ride down to retrieve my truck
> from the west side, and Andrew and I went home. MattB, Shawn,
> and the rest were considering trying to ride at Hartmans.
>
> It took me the rest of the day to shake my chill, and it rained HARD
> all day in Salida. Too bad, I was really looking forward to Agate with
> the a.m-b crew. Another time I guess...
> --
> Tom Purvis
> Salida, CO - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

As we all arrived in Gunnison the rain let up to let us enjoy breakfast at the Quarter Circle. Arriving at Hartman's only brought
the rain back but the trail drained well and we rode. Matt rolled a large drop and managed to break his seat so we turned about,
not wanting Matt to suffer from a horrible demise......

As it was, some of us were having shifting and chain suck issues due to the grit covered chains and gears.

I'm now switching my brakes over to discs.........

It was nice to meet new AMBer's even though we didn't all get to ride together. Another time, maybe in early October.......

On the way from Gunnison to Montrose we hit torrential rains limiting visibility to about 50 feet. It was so loud I didn't hear my
cell phone ring....Mitch wanting to ask if we were in a Florida hurricane. Some weather and it continues to rain yet today.

Gary