Ping Mike Dart and Slacker

Scott

Guest
Hey I know Mike you had a Shiver and Slacker I believe you have on your
Turner so I got a couple questions.

I am 205 lbs. as of this morning so with gear that is putting me in the 217
to 220 range. What springs, oil height and oil weight did/do you guys run?

Have you guys tried the air preload mod?

Any tweaking tips for the Shiver? So far my oil height is 75mm and I have
7.5 weight oil and I am running the medium springs. The fork feels awesome
but I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition and it bottoms
pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to consider heavier springs or
more oil in the legs. Should I do both, one or the other?!

TIA guys

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:51:12 GMT, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey I know Mike you had a Shiver and Slacker I believe you have on your
> Turner so I got a couple questions.
>
> I am 205 lbs. as of this morning so with gear that is putting me in the
> 217
> to 220 range. What springs, oil height and oil weight did/do you guys
> run?

Hmmm, I was/am bout 200 with gear. The stock springs were a little too
stiff for my liking, so I dropped down one spring rate. I'm using 5 wt
Spectro oil, but only because my MX shop didn't have 7/7.5. Also running
the recommended oil height per the manual. I really like the feel of it.
If I did anything to it right now I'd remove a little oil.

But I also run about 4" sag in the rear too. I just like sitting a little
deeper in the travel... just a personal thing... most other riders it's
just the opposite.

> Have you guys tried the air preload mod?

Not into the air feel, so no, and I don't plan on trying it.

> Any tweaking tips for the Shiver? So far my oil height is 75mm and I
> have
> 7.5 weight oil and I am running the medium springs. The fork feels
> awesome
> but I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition and it
> bottoms
> pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to consider heavier springs
> or
> more oil in the legs. Should I do both, one or the other?!
>
> TIA guys

I would suggest the next spring rate up and leave the oil weight the same
for now. It's easy enough to change if you want to play with it later. I
would also leave the oil height stock till you can get a good run on it.
After that you'll have a better feel if you need to tweak the oil height..
--
Slacker

> But I also run about 4" sag in the rear too. I just like sitting a little
> deeper in the travel... just a personal thing... most other riders it's
> just the opposite.

Hey thanks man. I too like a lot of sag like 40%. Well I ordred the heavy
springs already. I may not put both in but at least one leg will get the
heavier spring.

I can't say I have ever ridden a better fork! The drops are just soaked
right up... untill I get a little bigger than 6' or so.

So how are you liking the Turner? I am thinking that next year I may get
the Turner DH or the Vantena DH frame. I am still using my Bullit frame and
I don't have any cash left for spending on my DH/FR rig. Just got an Evil
DRS, Shiver and Intense Mag 30 wheels for next season but the parts are
already installed and I have been riding the local indoor park with my new
setup.

> I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition and it
>> bottoms
>> pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to consider heavier springs
>> or
>> more oil in the legs. Should I do both, one or the other?!
>>
>> TIA guys

Forgot to ask how's the sag? If it's good then just start adding a small
amount of oil to each leg, but don't over do it, or you'll risk blowing
the seals.

Mike will have more info on this... he's had a lot more time on his Shiva.
--
Slacker

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:33:40 GMT, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> But I also run about 4" sag in the rear too. I just like sitting a
>> little
>> deeper in the travel... just a personal thing... most other riders it's
>> just the opposite.

> Hey thanks man. I too like a lot of sag like 40%. Well I ordred the
> heavy
> springs already. I may not put both in but at least one leg will get the
> heavier spring.
>
> I can't say I have ever ridden a better fork! The drops are just soaked
> right up... untill I get a little bigger than 6' or so.

Yeah, the Shiver is actually scary. There was no speed or rock that I
didn't feel safe at. It was like the harder I pushed it, the more cushy it
got.

> So how are you liking the Turner? I am thinking that next year I may get
> the Turner DH or the Vantena DH frame. I am still using my Bullit frame
> and
> I don't have any cash left for spending on my DH/FR rig. Just got an
> Evil
> DRS, Shiver and Intense Mag 30 wheels for next season but the parts are
> already installed and I have been riding the local indoor park with my
> new
> setup.

I love the Turner, but it's the only DH bike I've known. If I would've had
the money after riding a couple of times, I would've bought another
(spare) frame and kept in it my closet till I needed it :) I highly
recommend them, especially now that Turner has dumped Romic and has gone
with the new Fox.

The Ventana looks and sound really good. I would just caution due to it's
newness. Even as good as Turner is, he was/is still learning about the
loads some of his frames are seeing. It takes a couple/few years for a
frame design to mature. Hopefully, Ventana's teething time is short, butI
wouldn't risk that much money at this point.

--
Slacker

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:33:40 GMT, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>The Ventana looks and sound really good. I would just caution due to it's
>newness. Even as good as Turner is, he was/is still learning about the
>loads some of his frames are seeing. It takes a couple/few years for a
>frame design to mature. Hopefully, Ventana's teething time is short, but I
>wouldn't risk that much money at this point.

Ya it own't be for another 12 months, I need to get another whole season out
of my 03 Bullit frame. True man that is why I got the Bullit and not the
vp-free. The Bullit is a mature frame desingn.

I am really surprised at how much it took this year. I stripped my bike
down to check everything and I can't believe it but everything is fine.

Peace out brotha!

Scott wrote:
> Hey I know Mike you had a Shiver and Slacker I believe you have on
> your Turner so I got a couple questions.
>
> I am 205 lbs. as of this morning so with gear that is putting me in
> the 217 to 220 range. What springs, oil height and oil weight did/do
> you guys run?
>
> Have you guys tried the air preload mod?
>
> Any tweaking tips for the Shiver? So far my oil height is 75mm and I
> have
> 7.5 weight oil and I am running the medium springs. The fork feels
> awesome but I have been hitting a 6'5" drop with a shallow transition
> and it bottoms pretty hard. Not to hard but enough for me to
> consider heavier springs or more oil in the legs. Should I do both,
> one or the other?!
>
> TIA guys

I had mine setup very stiff. It kept dumping me over the bars in big rock
gardens. Extra Heavy springs and 10wt Bel-Ray oil. It rode like a
jackhammer in small stuff but was bottomless on big drops. I like the
adjustment I have with the 888r. I can set it up for any conditions with
stock springs and oil. Too bad the lowers are made of cheese.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I had mine setup very stiff. It kept dumping me over the bars in big rock
> gardens. Extra Heavy springs and 10wt Bel-Ray oil. It rode like a
> jackhammer in small stuff but was bottomless on big drops. I like the
> adjustment I have with the 888r. I can set it up for any conditions with
> stock springs and oil. Too bad the lowers are made of cheese.
>
> Mike

So how much do you weigh with gear on and what was your oil height?

Scott wrote:
> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I had mine setup very stiff. It kept dumping me over the bars in
>> big rock gardens. Extra Heavy springs and 10wt Bel-Ray oil. It
>> rode like a jackhammer in small stuff but was bottomless on big
>> drops. I like the adjustment I have with the 888r. I can set it up
>> for any conditions with stock springs and oil. Too bad the lowers
>> are made of cheese.
>>
>> Mike

> So how much do you weigh with gear on and what was your oil height?

Probably about 190-200 with all my gear. Stock oil height.

Mike