PING: MISS JEANINE

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin', Nov 21, 2005.

  1. So, I take it you're feeding some of your Marines Thanksgiving dinner?
    What's on the menu? Are they big eaters? What kind of
    dressing/stuffing do you do (assumes you're roasting a turkey bird)?
    Dessert?
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

    Tags:

  2. JeanineAlyse

    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > So, I take it you're feeding some of your Marines Thanksgiving dinner?
    > What's on the menu? Are they big eaters? What kind of
    > dressing/stuffing do you do (assumes you're roasting a turkey bird)?
    > Dessert?

    No, I'm not feeding just my Marines, and this year will see no turkey
    in my kitchen. My sons will both be here on Friday for leg o' lamb,
    Brussels sprouts, "fiesta" scalloped potatoes, and some other goodies.
    They will be spending Thanksgiving at their cousins two hours away,
    here on Friday,and on to Mexico to their father's new home for the
    remainder of the weekend.

    The potluck dinner I mentioned is for all personnel aboard the Base,
    civilians and Marines alike. Each year various sections have
    pre-Thanksgiving dinners aimed at all of the Marines who may not be
    able to be home with their families that week. Last year my parent
    section, Installations & Logistics, decided on a catered dinner for
    feeding about 200 that turned out to be very good. This year a vote
    was offered as to whether to go again with the caterers, or to do a
    potluck. Near half of us voted for the catered meal, losing to the
    die-hard potluckers. The Master Guns organizing the dinner seems to me
    to have a cracked sense of what should be prepared to feed less than
    200 (13 turkeys nd 13 hams), but I signed up to be "two" of 26 people
    bringing a non-potatoes vegetable with each dish required to feed 10.
    The veggies I prepared yesterday are each oven-bagged inside my huge
    slow cooker and packed into the cooker's thermal carry-bag right now,
    and I will be leaving for work as soon as I send this reply.

    Picky

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "JeanineAlyse" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > So, I take it you're feeding some of your Marines Thanksgiving dinner?
    > > What's on the menu? Are they big eaters? What kind of
    > > dressing/stuffing do you do (assumes you're roasting a turkey bird)?
    > > Dessert?

    > No, I'm not feeding just my Marines, and this year will see no turkey
    > in my kitchen. My sons will both be here on Friday for leg o' lamb,
    > Brussels sprouts, "fiesta" scalloped potatoes, and some other goodies.
    > They will be spending Thanksgiving at their cousins two hours away,
    > here on Friday,and on to Mexico to their father's new home for the
    > remainder of the weekend.
    >
    > The potluck dinner I mentioned is for all personnel aboard the Base,
    > civilians and Marines alike. Each year various sections have
    > pre-Thanksgiving dinners aimed at all of the Marines who may not be
    > able to be home with their families that week. Last year my parent
    > section, Installations & Logistics, decided on a catered dinner for
    > feeding about 200 that turned out to be very good. This year a vote
    > was offered as to whether to go again with the caterers, or to do a
    > potluck. Near half of us voted for the catered meal, losing to the
    > die-hard potluckers. The Master Guns organizing the dinner seems to me
    > to have a cracked sense of what should be prepared to feed less than
    > 200 (13 turkeys nd 13 hams), but I signed up to be "two" of 26 people
    > bringing a non-potatoes vegetable with each dish required to feed 10.
    > The veggies I prepared yesterday are each oven-bagged inside my huge
    > slow cooker and packed into the cooker's thermal carry-bag right now,
    > and I will be leaving for work as soon as I send this reply.
    >
    > Picky

    Do report, and God bless you!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

  4. JeanineAlyse

    JeanineAlyse Guest

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Do report, and God bless you!

    Well, I was surprised that the dinner today went as well as it did
    regarding the amount of foods being enough or too much. Seems the MSgt
    wasn't as cracked as I'd thought. I was one to leave early but most
    had already eaten their fill and there wasn't but about one whole
    turkey, an entire ham, a few unopened dishes of spuds and a few entite
    deserts left on the serving tables. A good bit of that would be picked
    through while the after dinner program continued for two more hours.

    The veggies I took in oven-bagged and crocked were at least set on the
    table piping hot, if over-cooked, though there wasn't a speck of them
    left half way through the serving procedure. 'Twas a good idea to
    offer veggies with thought to others not thinking alike, as there were
    no duplicates. The Brussels sprouts were so pretty all piled up ,so
    bright green and sparkly with steaming butter. I cannot right now
    remember which of the seasoning blends I used on the buttered broccoli,
    but for just myself I choose to stick to only butter, s&p and plenty of
    lemon juice as the seasoning blend seemed boring to me. Whew! Next
    time I steam veggies for such an amount of nibblers, I'll for sure take
    the time to dig out my rarely used extra large steamer pot so that I
    can take even more.

    Much appreciation for the blessing, dear one.
    Love and take care special lady, PickyMe