PING Myra

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
Myra - the following has appeared on another newsgroup - with your carpal tunnel problem, I just
thought there might be something of use contained in the postings.

Cheers, helen s

"Cat,

I suffered from carpal tunnel. My son bought me a set of gloves, which are padded, and the padding
helped remarkably (although these gloves are not specifically designed to cure carpal tunnel). They
are made by Trico, and relatively inexpensive. I was also told that "Specialized" makes a true
carpal tunnel glove.

FWIW, my Doctor and Gym trainer both recommended wrist curls to cure carpal tunnel, and for the most
part, this has cured my problem. To do this exercise you need a small barbell (3 lb. is adequate,
although I use 12). Rest your forearm on a level surface, with the hand extended (palm up), and
where you can rotate up and down using your wrist. Grasp the barbell and let it roll down to the end
of your fingers. Let the wrist drop, and then raise the weight by rotating your wrist upward. Repeat
as necessary. Worked for me.

HTH, Ernie

Cat Dailey wrote:

> I can never seem to find the website when I do a google search for the guy who sells the bicycling
> gloves specifically for carpel tunnel sufferers. Can someone out there point me to it please?
>
> Thanks, Cat [email protected]

Specialized makes a glove to relieve pressure on the ulnar nerve, a common problem (do a web search
for 'cyclist's palsy'). I have a pair of these gloves and they're comfy but really don't help my
carpal tunnel symptoms. CTS affects not the ulnar but the medial nerve.

Mike Yankee

i have had problems with carpal tunnel since breaking my wrist in a motorcycle accident in 1996. the
recommendation for wrist curls is good, i also did squeezing exercises with a rubber ball. padded
gloves never seemed to help much, in fact some seemed to make it worse. one of the best things i did
was to switch handlebars, to a "noodle" bar from rivendell. it's a regular style (not ergonomic),
with a smaller ramp angle of 15 degrees. i also prefer the regular aero brake levers with bar end
shifters. tried STI, but they were bulkier and not as comfortable for me. i'm not anti-STI, for many
riders they work very well. good luck in finding a solution! smokey strodtman"

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote
> Myra - the following has appeared on another newsgroup - with your carpal tunnel problem, I just
> thought there might be something of use contained in the postings.

Hi Helen-

Thanks for thinking of me! Actually, it seems to be fixing itself. My fingers are still quite
tingly, but they are improving. I find myself wanting to stretch the tendons in my hands quite a
bit. To do this I tighten the muscles in the back of my hands to pull my fingers as far back as I
can, or else I push them gently on a hard surface.

I think in a few weeks they should be back to normal, or at least drastically improved.

-Myra

>Hi Helen-
>
>Thanks for thinking of me! Actually, it seems to be fixing itself. My fingers are still quite
>tingly, but they are improving. I find myself wanting to stretch the tendons in my hands quite a
>bit. To do this I tighten the muscles in the back of my hands to pull my fingers as far back as I
>can, or else I push them gently on a hard surface.

Most welcome. Glad the situation seems to be improving on its own.

>I think in a few weeks they should be back to normal, or at least drastically improved.
>
>-Myra

That would be good.

Cheers, helen s