Ping - Paladin

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Spider, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Hey, big fella (shut up, Rimmer - and don't get to excited - it's just a figure of speech. Same for
    you, Sorni.)

    You said, somewhere, that the route for next year's AMB-ID was picked. I cannot, for the life of me,
    find any reference to either your mention or the trail that was picked. All I can remember is "2
    miles uphill, 14 miles downhill, more technical than 2003 AMB-ID." Does this ring ANY bells at all?
    [fscking memory - see what happens when you get old?]

    Anyway, could you shed some light on this for a poor soul? And when you say "more technical", please
    compare it to some partion of the Loon Lake Death March for comparison.

    Thanks, man - I appreciate it.

    Spider

    P.S. Next summer, if you need a guy to be up at 0500 to move vehicles around for shuttling bikes,
    I'm your guy. No more 0900 (scheduled) 1200 (actual) start times, hmmm?

    Tags:

  2. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Spider scrawled in bright red lipstick:
    > Hey, big fella (shut up, Rimmer - and don't get to excited - it's just a figure of speech. Same
    > for you, Sorni.)
    >
    > You said, somewhere, that the route for next year's AMB-ID was picked. I cannot, for the life of
    > me, find any reference to either your mention or the trail that was picked. All I can remember is
    > "2 miles uphill, 14 miles downhill, more technical than 2003 AMB-ID." Does this ring ANY bells at
    > all? [fscking memory - see what happens when you get old?]

    Twenty mile Creek- Duck lake. It starts pretty high, 6500'?

    > Anyway, could you shed some light on this for a poor soul? And when you say "more technical",
    > please compare it to some partion of the Loon Lake Death March for comparison.

    from what I have heard, the first two miles are "interesting" ;-)

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.06953&lon=-115.9392&s=100&layer=DRG25&size=l&u=0

    general vicinity.

    > Thanks, man - I appreciate it.
    >
    > Spider
    >
    > P.S. Next summer, if you need a guy to be up at 0500 to move vehicles around for shuttling bikes,
    > I'm your guy. No more 0900 (scheduled) 1200 (actual) start times, hmmm?

    ay yup, On this one the ideal thing would be to have a non rider pick us up with a truck or two.
    us at the end of the day as the exit is very close to town. Or, put the early risers to work, I
    don't mind.

    Penny

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

  4. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    BB scrawled in bright red lipstick:
    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:17:23 -0700, Penny S wrote:

    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.06953&lon=-115.9392&s=100&layer=DRG25&size=l&u=0

    > Any ideas of a nearby town? My map software currently shows this as a
    > 12.5-hour drive (one-way). Yikes!

    McCall... the trail head is just about 1.5 miles S of Duck lake, about 17.5 miles from town on the
    Lick Summit road.

    Spider, I had to drive by the trailhead on my way to retrieve Mr Adventure from his epic ride.

    It's in the Idaho Gazetter if you have it. Key locators are Lick Summit, and Upper Payette Lake.

    ( so smack me for posting it....)

    Penny

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey, big fella (shut up, Rimmer - and don't get to excited - it's just a figure of speech. Same
    > for you, Sorni.)
    >
    > You said, somewhere, that the route for next year's AMB-ID was picked. I cannot, for the life of
    > me, find any reference to either your mention or the trail that was picked. All I can remember is
    > "2 miles uphill, 14 miles downhill, more technical than 2003 AMB-ID." Does this ring ANY bells at
    > all? [fscking memory - see what happens when you get old?]
    >
    > Anyway, could you shed some light on this for a poor soul? And when you say "more technical",
    > please compare it to some partion of the Loon Lake Death March for comparison.
    >
    > Thanks, man - I appreciate it.
    >
    > Spider

    Penny nailed it. Here's a write-up of a ride Adam and I did early last summer, approaching it from
    the other side:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&safe=off&selm=b9df8744.0209230843.63085c-
    c5%40posting.google.com&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dadam%2B%2Bmile%2Bcreek%2B%2Bpaladin%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-
    -bike.*%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%2Bgroup-
    :alt.mountain-bike.*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF8%26group%3Dalt.mountain-bike.*%26saf-
    e%3D ff%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Db9df8744.0209230843.63085cc5%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D5

    Here's a write-up description of sorts on the Twenty-Mile Creek section which will be all downhill,
    taken off mtbr:

    Trail Info The trail is undulating with many minor ups and downs. It begins in a 5+/- year old
    burned section of forest then quickly enters some thick wooded sections. It continues in and out of
    burned forest that is recovering very well from the fire. There are numerous small stream crossings,
    some on small bridges, lots of roots, water bars, loose and fixed rocks that can make this very
    technical for first-timers and delightfully exciting for experts. Beginners will need coaching and
    basic skills before tackling this one. There are some very short sections you will want to walk your
    bike over the rocks but not many. You will also find a tree across the trail now and then. It can be
    very fast through the meadows and smooth sections. There is a surprise around every corner.

    I think I remember a couple walk spots, or at least a few dabs. I plan to be on a boing-boing for
    this one, though, for sure.

    A riding buddy did the whole thing up to Duck Lake, then on down 20-Mile Creek. He said its a ride
    to respect and take your time on. Don't we always??? he he he.

    Paladin

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  7. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:47:21 -0700, Paladin wrote:

    > [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    >> Anyway, could you shed some light on this for a poor soul? And when you say "more technical",
    >> please compare it to some partion of the Loon Lake Death March for comparison.

    Death March? That was a lovely ride. :D

    > Penny nailed it. Here's a write-up of a ride Adam and I did early last summer, approaching it from
    > the other side:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&safe=off&selm=b9df8744.0209230843.6308-
    > 5cc5%40posting.google.com&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dadam%2B%2Bmile%2Bcreek%2B%2Bpaladin%2Bgroup:alt.moun-
    > tain-bike.*%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%2Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%2-
    > Bgroup:alt.mountain-bike.*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF8%26group%3Dalt.mountain-bike-
    > .*%26safe%3D
    > ff%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Db9df8744.0209230843.63085cc5%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D5

    Or: http://tinyurl.com/opk8

    Sounds ....challen*cough* lovely! I missed that the first time around as well.

    > A riding buddy did the whole thing up to Duck Lake, then on down 20-Mile Creek. He said its a ride
    > to respect and take your time on. Don't we always??? he he he.

    We sure take our time at lunch. :D

    Pass the cookies.

    gabrielle

  8. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:46:33 -0700, Penny S wrote:

    > BB scrawled in bright red lipstick:

    >> Any ideas of a nearby town? My map software currently shows this as a
    >> 12.5-hour drive (one-way). Yikes!
    >
    > McCall... the trail head is just about 1.5 miles S of Duck lake, about
    > 17.5 miles from town on the Lick Summit road.

    Excellent. McC's about my limit for weekend road trips.

    12 1/2 hours? What is that, "Your Father's Oldsmobile" Map software? ;)

    gabrielle "Pedal to the Metal"