Ping: Pandora

Wayne Boatwright

Guest
Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
recipe and have lost it.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
> recipe and have lost it.

If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
Let me know.
Pan

On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>> Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
>> recipe and have lost it.
>>

> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
> Let me know.
> Pan

Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
>>> recipe and have lost it.
>>>

>> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
>> Let me know.
>> Pan

> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
>
> Thanks!

Well! I have spocken too early :)
I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very good
recipe.
Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
I hope you aren't in a hurry !
Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
Cheers
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>>

>>> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
>>> Let me know.
>>> Pan

>> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Well! I have spocken too early :)
> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
> good recipe.
> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
> Cheers
> Pandora

I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are made
with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use biscuits
instead of "Pan di Spagna"
The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
chocolate, cream and whipped cream.
A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
Cheers
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Well! I have spocken too early :)
>> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
>> good recipe.
>> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
>> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
>> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
> Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
> made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use biscuits
> instead of "Pan di Spagna"
> The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
> chocolate, cream and whipped cream.
> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
> Cheers
> Pandora

Pandora, for what it's worth, I've never seen a substance: 'yellow one made
with eggs' referred to as "Cream." Perhaps it might be referred to in a
recipe as the "Cream mixture."
Dee Dee

Pandora wrote:

> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
> Cheers
> Pandora

Creme Anglais, custard sauce, or custard cream.

gloria p

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Well! I have spocken too early :)
>>> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
>>> good recipe.
>>> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
>>> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
>>> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora

>> I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
>> Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
>> made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use
>> biscuits instead of "Pan di Spagna"
>> The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
>> chocolate, cream and whipped cream.
>> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>>

> Pandora, for what it's worth, I've never seen a substance: 'yellow one
> made with eggs' referred to as "Cream." Perhaps it might be referred to in
> a recipe as the "Cream mixture."
> Dee Dee

Ok! In my vocabulary Cream is "Panna" and is "Crema" :))))
Here is why I asked !
Pandora

"Puester" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>>

>> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> Creme Anglais, custard sauce, or custard cream.
>
> gloria p

Thank you Gloria! You have e-mailed me, before. So I answered to you in
private!
Cheers
Pandora

On Tue 27 Sep 2005 08:41:43a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>>

>>> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
>>> Let me know.
>>> Pan

>> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Well! I have spocken too early :)
> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
> good recipe.
> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
> Cheers
> Pandora

Thank you so much, Pandora, for going to so much trouble. Time is not an
issue, but I will be very pleased to have it.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Tue 27 Sep 2005 08:50:31a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Well! I have spocken too early :)
>> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
>> good recipe.
>> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
>> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
>> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
> Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
> made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use
> biscuits instead of "Pan di Spagna"
> The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
> chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

The recipe I lost did not use biscuits. It used a "sponge cake" instead.

> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

In this case, I believe the "cream" is actually a type of custard,
something like "Creme Anglaise".

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 27 Sep 2005 08:50:31a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Well! I have spocken too early :)
>>> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
>>> good recipe.
>>> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
>>> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
>>> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora

>> I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
>> Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
>> made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use
>> biscuits instead of "Pan di Spagna"
>> The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
>> chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

> The recipe I lost did not use biscuits. It used a "sponge cake" instead.
>
>> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

> In this case, I believe the "cream" is actually a type of custard,
> something like "Creme Anglaise".

yes! Ok! Someone told me that!
Pandora

Wayne! My mother sent me just now the recipe of "Zuppa inglese".
I must translate but I can't do it now!
Be patient!
Cheers
Pandora

On Tue 27 Sep 2005 11:54:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne! My mother sent me just now the recipe of "Zuppa inglese".
> I must translate but I can't do it now!
> Be patient!
> Cheers
> Pandora

There's no hurry, Pandora. Whenever you get time is fine.

Thank you!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.

>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".

Nathalie

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
>>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

> What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
> because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.

here is a recipe. I've never done it. I buy it because it is very cheap!

> http://www.agriturismoitaly.it/cucina/liquori.htm

>>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

> In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".

yes, thank you. They have told me!
Cheers
Pandora

On Wed 28 Sep 2005 04:11:44a, Nathalie Chiva wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
>>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

> What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
> because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.
>
>>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

> In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".
>
> Nathalie

I found this recipe for alchermes:

Alchermes

Ingredients:
1/2 (half) a litre of 90 proof alcohol
2 pounds of sugar
1/2 (half) a stick of vanila
15 grams of cinnamon
10 grams of coriander
10 grams of cordamom
2 cloves
5 grams anice
100 gram rose water

Special note: spice descriptions can be found here

1. Crush together the vanila, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cardamom and
anice.

2. Add in a bottle 1/2 a litre of alcohol (90 proof) and a cup of water.

3. Seal the bottle tightly and shake it briefly twice a day for two weeks.

4. Melt 2 pounds of sugar with 1 cup of cold water then add it to the
preparation (bottle).

5. Shake it well and let it rest for two days.

6. Filter it properly and add the 100 grams of rose water.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl

On 28 Sep 2005 14:04:29 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I found this recipe for alchermes:

<snip>

Thanks ! I'll see if I can get someone to bring me back some from
Italy, otherwise I'll try and make it...

Nathalie in Switzerland

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed 28 Sep 2005 04:11:44a, Nathalie Chiva wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
>>>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

>> What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
>> because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.
>>
>>>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
>>>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

>> In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".
>>
>> Nathalie
>>

> I found this recipe for alchermes:
>
> Alchermes
>
> Ingredients:
> 1/2 (half) a litre of 90 proof alcohol
> 2 pounds of sugar
> 1/2 (half) a stick of vanila
> 15 grams of cinnamon
> 10 grams of coriander
> 10 grams of cordamom
> 2 cloves
> 5 grams anice
> 100 gram rose water
>
> Special note: spice descriptions can be found here

> 1. Crush together the vanila, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cardamom and
> anice.
>
> 2. Add in a bottle 1/2 a litre of alcohol (90 proof) and a cup of water.
>
> 3. Seal the bottle tightly and shake it briefly twice a day for two weeks.
>
> 4. Melt 2 pounds of sugar with 1 cup of cold water then add it to the
> preparation (bottle).
>
> 5. Shake it well and let it rest for two days.
>
> 6. Filter it properly and add the 100 grams of rose water.

In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives the red
colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!
Pandora

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:20:49 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives the red
>colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!

Well, it may be important for the appearance, but not for the taste.

Nathalie in Switzerland, as long as it tastes good, it looks good....