Ping: Pandora

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Wayne Boatwright, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
    recipe and have lost it.

    TIA

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

    Popie-In-The-Bowl

    Tags:

  2. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
    > recipe and have lost it.

    If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
    Let me know.
    Pan

  3. On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
    >> recipe and have lost it.
    >>

    > If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
    > Let me know.
    > Pan

    Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.

    Thanks!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  4. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Pandora, do you have a recipe for Zuppa Anglaise? I used to have a good
    >>> recipe and have lost it.
    >>>

    >> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
    >> Let me know.
    >> Pan

    > Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Well! I have spocken too early :)
    I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very good
    recipe.
    Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    Cheers
    Pandora

  5. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:dhbp[email protected]

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >>

    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>>

    >>> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
    >>> Let me know.
    >>> Pan

    >> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Well! I have spocken too early :)
    > I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
    > good recipe.
    > Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    > I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    > Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
    Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are made
    with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use biscuits
    instead of "Pan di Spagna"
    The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    chocolate, cream and whipped cream.
    A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
    Cheers
    Pandora

  6. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Well! I have spocken too early :)
    >> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
    >> good recipe.
    >> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    >> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    >> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora

    > I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
    > Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
    > made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use biscuits
    > instead of "Pan di Spagna"
    > The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    > chocolate, cream and whipped cream.
    > A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    > yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    Pandora, for what it's worth, I've never seen a substance: 'yellow one made
    with eggs' referred to as "Cream." Perhaps it might be referred to in a
    recipe as the "Cream mixture."
    Dee Dee

  7. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Pandora wrote:

    > A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    > yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    Creme Anglais, custard sauce, or custard cream.

    gloria p

  8. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> Well! I have spocken too early :)
    >>> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
    >>> good recipe.
    >>> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    >>> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    >>> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Pandora

    >> I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
    >> Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
    >> made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use
    >> biscuits instead of "Pan di Spagna"
    >> The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    >> chocolate, cream and whipped cream.
    >> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora
    >>>

    > Pandora, for what it's worth, I've never seen a substance: 'yellow one
    > made with eggs' referred to as "Cream." Perhaps it might be referred to in
    > a recipe as the "Cream mixture."
    > Dee Dee

    Ok! In my vocabulary Cream is "Panna" and is "Crema" :))))
    Here is why I asked !
    Pandora

  9. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Puester" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Pandora wrote:
    >>

    >> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora
    >>

    > Creme Anglais, custard sauce, or custard cream.
    >
    > gloria p

    Thank you Gloria! You have e-mailed me, before. So I answered to you in
    private!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  10. On Tue 27 Sep 2005 08:41:43a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue 27 Sep 2005 07:25:54a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >>

    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>> news:Xns96DDD5F06C680wayne[email protected]
    >>>>

    >>> If you mean the cake "Zuppa Inglese", I have.
    >>> Let me know.
    >>> Pan

    >> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Well! I have spocken too early :)
    > I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
    > good recipe.
    > Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    > I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    > Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    Thank you so much, Pandora, for going to so much trouble. Time is not an
    issue, but I will be very pleased to have it.

    Cheers!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  11. On Tue 27 Sep 2005 08:50:31a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Yes, the cake. That's what I mean.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Well! I have spocken too early :)
    >> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
    >> good recipe.
    >> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    >> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    >> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora

    > I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
    > Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
    > made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use
    > biscuits instead of "Pan di Spagna"
    > The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    > chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

    The recipe I lost did not use biscuits. It used a "sponge cake" instead.

    > A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    > yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

    In this case, I believe the "cream" is actually a type of custard,
    something like "Creme Anglaise".

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  12. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue 27 Sep 2005 08:50:31a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    >> "Pandora" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> Well! I have spocken too early :)
    >>> I have the recipe in a book I left in Rome. The recipe was a very very
    >>> good recipe.
    >>> Now I've telephoned to my mother :she will e-mail it to me ASAP.
    >>> I hope you aren't in a hurry !
    >>> Could you wait? Perhaps I have it this evening .
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Pandora

    >> I forgot to say another thing. In Italy there are many recipes of "Zuppa
    >> Inglese". Every region has a different recipe. Some "Zuppe inglesi" are
    >> made with chocolate only. Others use cream and liqueur. Other use
    >> biscuits instead of "Pan di Spagna"
    >> The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    >> chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

    > The recipe I lost did not use biscuits. It used a "sponge cake" instead.
    >
    >> A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >> yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

    > In this case, I believe the "cream" is actually a type of custard,
    > something like "Creme Anglaise".

    yes! Ok! Someone told me that!
    Pandora

  13. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    Wayne! My mother sent me just now the recipe of "Zuppa inglese".
    I must translate but I can't do it now!
    Be patient!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  14. On Tue 27 Sep 2005 11:54:47a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne! My mother sent me just now the recipe of "Zuppa inglese".
    > I must translate but I can't do it now!
    > Be patient!
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    There's no hurry, Pandora. Whenever you get time is fine.

    Thank you!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  15. On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    >chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

    What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
    because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.

    >A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

    In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".

    Nathalie

  16. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    >>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

    > What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
    > because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.

    here is a recipe. I've never done it. I buy it because it is very cheap!

    > http://www.agriturismoitaly.it/cucina/liquori.htm

    >>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

    > In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".

    yes, thank you. They have told me!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  17. On Wed 28 Sep 2005 04:11:44a, Nathalie Chiva wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    >>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

    > What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
    > because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.
    >
    >>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

    > In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".
    >
    > Nathalie

    I found this recipe for alchermes:

    Alchermes

    Ingredients:
    1/2 (half) a litre of 90 proof alcohol
    2 pounds of sugar
    1/2 (half) a stick of vanila
    15 grams of cinnamon
    10 grams of coriander
    10 grams of cordamom
    2 cloves
    5 grams anice
    100 gram rose water

    Special note: spice descriptions can be found here

    1. Crush together the vanila, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cardamom and
    anice.

    2. Add in a bottle 1/2 a litre of alcohol (90 proof) and a cup of water.

    3. Seal the bottle tightly and shake it briefly twice a day for two weeks.

    4. Melt 2 pounds of sugar with 1 cup of cold water then add it to the
    preparation (bottle).

    5. Shake it well and let it rest for two days.

    6. Filter it properly and add the 100 grams of rose water.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

    Popie-In-The-Bowl

  18. On 28 Sep 2005 14:04:29 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I found this recipe for alchermes:

    <snip>

    Thanks ! I'll see if I can get someone to bring me back some from
    Italy, otherwise I'll try and make it...

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  19. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed 28 Sep 2005 04:11:44a, Nathalie Chiva wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:50:31 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The recipe I will give you is with Pan di Spagna, liqueur (alchermes),
    >>>chocolate, cream and whipped cream.

    >> What is alchermes made of exactly ? I've never made Zuppa Inglese
    >> because I can't find a liqueur by that name here.
    >>
    >>>A question: if whipped cream is "cream", how do you call the Cream (the
    >>>yellow one made with eggs). How can one distinguish them in a recipe??

    >> In French we call the egg cream "crème anglaise".
    >>
    >> Nathalie
    >>

    > I found this recipe for alchermes:
    >
    > Alchermes
    >
    > Ingredients:
    > 1/2 (half) a litre of 90 proof alcohol
    > 2 pounds of sugar
    > 1/2 (half) a stick of vanila
    > 15 grams of cinnamon
    > 10 grams of coriander
    > 10 grams of cordamom
    > 2 cloves
    > 5 grams anice
    > 100 gram rose water
    >
    > Special note: spice descriptions can be found here

    > 1. Crush together the vanila, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cardamom and
    > anice.
    >
    > 2. Add in a bottle 1/2 a litre of alcohol (90 proof) and a cup of water.
    >
    > 3. Seal the bottle tightly and shake it briefly twice a day for two weeks.
    >
    > 4. Melt 2 pounds of sugar with 1 cup of cold water then add it to the
    > preparation (bottle).
    >
    > 5. Shake it well and let it rest for two days.
    >
    > 6. Filter it properly and add the 100 grams of rose water.

    In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives the red
    colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!
    Pandora

  20. On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:20:49 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives the red
    >colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!

    Well, it may be important for the appearance, but not for the taste.

    Nathalie in Switzerland, as long as it tastes good, it looks good....