PING: Penny S. re: Lochsa River info request

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Spider, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Spider

    Spider Guest

    After asking around, I found out some stuff.

    1.) The trail info I have is that near the Montana border, the trail runs well above the river -
    hundreds of feet. It is not clear how much of a trail parallels HWY 12 lower down.

    2.) An offshoot of the ridge-top trail runs along Lolo Creek, and is supposted to be spectacular,
    and hard as hell to ride.

    3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger district." I think the Clearwater NF website has a
    list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the Wild and Scenic River
    designation area.

    Sorry I could not be of more help.

    Spider

    P.S. The camera hasn't shown up yet.

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Spider wrote:
    > After asking around, I found out some stuff.
    >
    > 1.) The trail info I have is that near the Montana border, the trail runs well above the river -
    > hundreds of feet. It is not clear how much of a trail parallels HWY 12 lower down.
    >
    > 2.) An offshoot of the ridge-top trail runs along Lolo Creek, and is supposted to be spectacular,
    > and hard as hell to ride.
    >
    > 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger district." I think the Clearwater NF website has a
    > list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the Wild and Scenic River
    > designation area.
    >
    > Sorry I could not be of more help.

    I'll send you a map section just for grins, to make sure we're on the same page. It *is* steep
    country there regardless of how close to the montana border you are.

    > P.S. The camera hasn't shown up yet.

    It's not back from Nikon Repair yet either. ;-)

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    > Spider wrote:>> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger
    district." I think
    >> the Clearwater NF website has a list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the
    >> Wild and Scenic River designation

    haha Did that weeks ago. Not only did I call then, I got a nice little packet with minimal trail
    descriptions. What one has to do is to call the office on the day that the recreation guy is IN and
    have a one-on-one with him. And since these are big natural resource areas I'll be lucky if they
    even have a recreation ranger.

    I just thought I'd see if there was any "local" ( not real local but closer than I am) beta.

    penny

  4. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Spider wrote:>> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger
    > district." I think
    > >> the Clearwater NF website has a list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the
    > >> Wild and Scenic River designation
    >
    > haha Did that weeks ago. Not only did I call then, I got a nice little packet with minimal trail
    > descriptions. What one has to do is to call the office on the day that the recreation guy is IN
    > and have a one-on-one with him. And since these are big natural resource areas I'll be lucky if
    > they even have a recreation ranger.

    Ahh, so those folks who told me that don't know any more about it than I do. Sheesh.

    > I just thought I'd see if there was any "local" ( not real local but closer than I am) beta.

    Yeah - I don't get very far away when I ride. One of the consequences of riding solo, I guess (and
    having family at home, waiting for me to do domestic stuff when I get back.) ;)

    I'm sorry I could not be of more assistance. Other than driving there and scoping out the scene, or
    lucking into talking to the right NF ranger, I guess a recent USGS map might be good. I'm guessing
    (again) that there is no such thing as a recent map.

    Spider

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Spider wrote:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> Spider wrote:>> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger
    >> district." I think
    >>
    >> haha Did that weeks ago. Not only did I call then, I got a nice little packet with minimal trail
    >> descriptions. What one has to do is to call the office on the day that the recreation guy is IN
    >> and have a one-on-one with him. And since these are big natural resource areas I'll be lucky if
    >> they even have a recreation ranger.
    >
    > Ahh, so those folks who told me that don't know any more about it than I do. Sheesh.
    >
    >> I just thought I'd see if there was any "local" ( not real local but closer than I am) beta.
    >
    > Yeah - I don't get very far away when I ride. One of the consequences of riding solo, I guess (and
    > having family at home, waiting for me to do domestic stuff when I get back.) ;)
    >
    > I'm sorry I could not be of more assistance. Other than driving there and scoping out the scene,
    > or lucking into talking to the right NF ranger, I guess a recent USGS map might be good. I'm
    > guessing (again) that there is no such thing as a recent map.
    >
    > Spider

    the hubby's headed to the lochsa for boating this weekend... He's going to check it out too.

    thanks

    Penny