PING: Penny S. re: Lochsa River info request

Spider

Guest
After asking around, I found out some stuff.

1.) The trail info I have is that near the Montana border, the trail runs well above the river -
hundreds of feet. It is not clear how much of a trail parallels HWY 12 lower down.

2.) An offshoot of the ridge-top trail runs along Lolo Creek, and is supposted to be spectacular,
and hard as hell to ride.

3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger district." I think the Clearwater NF website has a
list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the Wild and Scenic River
designation area.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Spider

P.S. The camera hasn't shown up yet.

Spider wrote:
> After asking around, I found out some stuff.
>
> 1.) The trail info I have is that near the Montana border, the trail runs well above the river -
> hundreds of feet. It is not clear how much of a trail parallels HWY 12 lower down.
>
> 2.) An offshoot of the ridge-top trail runs along Lolo Creek, and is supposted to be spectacular,
> and hard as hell to ride.
>
> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger district." I think the Clearwater NF website has a
> list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the Wild and Scenic River
> designation area.
>
> Sorry I could not be of more help.

I'll send you a map section just for grins, to make sure we're on the same page. It *is* steep
country there regardless of how close to the montana border you are.

> P.S. The camera hasn't shown up yet.

It's not back from Nikon Repair yet either. ;-)

> Spider wrote:>> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger
district." I think
>> the Clearwater NF website has a list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the
>> Wild and Scenic River designation

haha Did that weeks ago. Not only did I call then, I got a nice little packet with minimal trail
descriptions. What one has to do is to call the office on the day that the recreation guy is IN and
have a one-on-one with him. And since these are big natural resource areas I'll be lucky if they
even have a recreation ranger.

I just thought I'd see if there was any "local" ( not real local but closer than I am) beta.

penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Spider wrote:>> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger
> district." I think
> >> the Clearwater NF website has a list of the ranger district(s) involved in the oversight of the
> >> Wild and Scenic River designation
>
> haha Did that weeks ago. Not only did I call then, I got a nice little packet with minimal trail
> descriptions. What one has to do is to call the office on the day that the recreation guy is IN
> and have a one-on-one with him. And since these are big natural resource areas I'll be lucky if
> they even have a recreation ranger.

Ahh, so those folks who told me that don't know any more about it than I do. Sheesh.

> I just thought I'd see if there was any "local" ( not real local but closer than I am) beta.

Yeah - I don't get very far away when I ride. One of the consequences of riding solo, I guess (and
having family at home, waiting for me to do domestic stuff when I get back.) ;)

I'm sorry I could not be of more assistance. Other than driving there and scoping out the scene, or
lucking into talking to the right NF ranger, I guess a recent USGS map might be good. I'm guessing
(again) that there is no such thing as a recent map.

Spider

Spider wrote:
> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Spider wrote:>> 3.) EVERYBODY I talked to said "Call the ranger
>> district." I think
>>
>> haha Did that weeks ago. Not only did I call then, I got a nice little packet with minimal trail
>> descriptions. What one has to do is to call the office on the day that the recreation guy is IN
>> and have a one-on-one with him. And since these are big natural resource areas I'll be lucky if
>> they even have a recreation ranger.
>
> Ahh, so those folks who told me that don't know any more about it than I do. Sheesh.
>
>> I just thought I'd see if there was any "local" ( not real local but closer than I am) beta.
>
> Yeah - I don't get very far away when I ride. One of the consequences of riding solo, I guess (and
> having family at home, waiting for me to do domestic stuff when I get back.) ;)
>
> I'm sorry I could not be of more assistance. Other than driving there and scoping out the scene,
> or lucking into talking to the right NF ranger, I guess a recent USGS map might be good. I'm
> guessing (again) that there is no such thing as a recent map.
>
> Spider

the hubby's headed to the lochsa for boating this weekend... He's going to check it out too.

thanks

Penny