PING Rudy

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mogget, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Mogget

    Mogget Guest

    I wonder if I could ask your opinion, please? (Apologies if this isn't
    your area).

    I need to get back to the resistance training, but I am getting to the
    gym approximately never. I've got some dumbbells & a Swiss ball, and I
    wonder how to get myself a basic routine with these.

    Any chance you could please list some good exercises for me to do at
    home? If I don't recognise the name, I can google it :)

    It doesn't have to be a thorough bells-and-whistles routine. Just the
    major muscle groups will do nicely. When I'm fitter and stronger, I can
    tweak it.

    Many thanks,
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Try googling "Nina and dumbbells" in this group. She posted a nice
    routine...can't remember if it involved a swissball, though.

    Mogget wrote:
    || I wonder if I could ask your opinion, please? (Apologies if this
    || isn't your area).
    || I need to get back to the resistance training, but I am getting to
    || the gym approximately never. I've got some dumbbells & a Swiss
    || ball, and I wonder how to get myself a basic routine with these.
    || Any chance you could please list some good exercises for me to do at
    || home? If I don't recognise the name, I can google it :)
    || It doesn't have to be a thorough bells-and-whistles routine. Just
    || the major muscle groups will do nicely. When I'm fitter and
    || stronger, I can tweak it.
    || Many thanks,
    || --
    || Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Here is the link to what Nina posted:

    http://tinyurl.com/9dvl

    Mogget wrote:
    || I wonder if I could ask your opinion, please? (Apologies if this
    || isn't your area).
    || I need to get back to the resistance training, but I am getting to
    || the gym approximately never. I've got some dumbbells & a Swiss
    || ball, and I wonder how to get myself a basic routine with these.
    || Any chance you could please list some good exercises for me to do at
    || home? If I don't recognise the name, I can google it :)
    || It doesn't have to be a thorough bells-and-whistles routine. Just
    || the major muscle groups will do nicely. When I'm fitter and
    || stronger, I can tweak it.
    || Many thanks,
    || --
    || Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  4. Mogget

    Mogget Guest

  5. Hi, Bint.

    This is a site Nina often recommends to women starting out with
    weights. Great pictures, good advice and several beginners routines.

    http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

    Aramanth

  6. RRzVRR

    RRzVRR Guest

    Mogget wrote:

    > I wonder if I could ask your opinion, please? (Apologies if this isn't
    > your area).

    It is my area now... since you've been gone I've become a
    personal trainer and have been working for several years now.
    That's why I don't have as much time to spend on-line.

    > I need to get back to the resistance training, but I am getting to the
    > gym approximately never. I've got some dumbbells & a Swiss ball, and I
    > wonder how to get myself a basic routine with these.

    Yes you can, in fact by doing a some free weight work while on
    the Swiss ball (SB) you end up working our core muscles (abs and
    back) while working the targeted muscle group (i.e.. shoulders or
    chest) a bit more than if you where simply standing or lying on a
    bench. Plus there's a lot of variation that you can do with a SB
    to help you progress. I often have beginners doing pushups using
    the SB because it can make it easier then if they did it the
    standard way, then over time you change the leverage and it can
    become harder then if you did push-ups the standard way.

    > Any chance you could please list some good exercises for me to do at
    > home? If I don't recognise the name, I can google it :)

    I'd highly recommend you look into getting a couple of books that
    focus on training with a SB. I haven't come across anything on
    line that explains SB work very well. I've got a few of books,
    but I'm not sure any of them are "THE BEST" on SB training. The
    one that had the most information and was laid out with
    beginners, intermediate and advanced (plus a seniors) workouts
    was "Swiss Ball For Strength, Tone and Posture" by Maureen Flett.
    However most of my practical learning came from another
    trainer/ physical therapist who's worked with Swiss balls for a
    long time.

    In fact if you could afford the time and money it would take I'd
    suggest you read up on training with a Swiss ball, then pay to
    visit a trainer who has experience with SB work. But I understand
    that that might not be possible. So what I'd suggest would be to
    first start working on getting your abs and back stronger
    before you start to do a lot of free weight work on the SB. Take
    a couple of weeks to work on getting your core muscles strong
    first. You don't want your core to be the weak link in your
    workout with SB. Use some of the standard free weight advice
    others have posted then combine the SB work with the free weight
    work after your core has some strength and endurance.

    I think you'll be surprised how much you can do with SB. In fact
    if someone was starting out and didn't have the money for a gym
    nor the space for a home gym, a SB and free weights is exactly
    what I'd suggest.

    --
    Rudy - Remove the Z from my address to respond.

    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"
    -Emiliano Zapata

    Check out the a.s.d.l-c FAQ at:
    http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/faq.htm

  7. MU

    MU Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:34:04 GMT, RRzVRR wrote:

    > It is my area now... since you've been gone I've become a
    > personal trainer and have been working for several years now.
    > That's why I don't have as much time to spend on-line.

    This should be good.

    > Yes you can, in fact by doing a some free weight work while on
    > the Swiss ball (SB) you end up working our core muscles (abs and
    > back) while working the targeted muscle group (i.e.. shoulders or
    > chest) a bit more than if you where simply standing or lying on a
    > bench.

    Bull. The only thing you can get out of a Swiss ball workout that yu cannot
    get on a stable platform is "real" trainers laughing at you.

    I have this picture of this idiot standing on a Swiss ball with 55 pounds
    overhead. He thought it was cool. I thought it was sheer stupidity.

    Swiss balls came from the physiotherapy world. They should stay there.
    "Trainers" who use Swiss balls out to be shot on sight. They are unneeded,
    useless, potentially dangerous and financially unnecessary.

  8. Glitter Girl

    Glitter Girl Guest

    Hi Rudy!

    Can you reccommend exercises for me-my abdominal muscle seperated during my
    last pregnancy, and am waiting to be sure about possible pregnancies before
    I have it repaired. What should I avoid?

    Glitter Girl
    "RRzVRR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    > possible. So what I'd suggest would be to first start working on getting
    > your abs and back stronger before you start to do a lot of free weight
    > work on the SB. Take a couple of weeks to work on getting your core
    > muscles strong first. You don't want your core to be the weak link in
    > your workout with SB. Use some of the standard free weight advice others
    > have posted then combine the SB work with the free weight work after your
    > core has some strength and endurance.
    >
    > I think you'll be surprised how much you can do with SB. In fact if
    > someone was starting out and didn't have the money for a gym nor the space
    > for a home gym, a SB and free weights is exactly what I'd suggest.
    >
    > --
    > Rudy - Remove the Z from my address to respond.
    >
    > "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"

  9. RRzVRR

    RRzVRR Guest

    Glitter Girl wrote:

    > Hi Rudy!
    >
    > Can you reccommend exercises for me-my abdominal muscle seperated during my
    > last pregnancy, and am waiting to be sure about possible pregnancies before
    > I have it repaired. What should I avoid?
    >
    > Glitter Girl

    When was your last pregnancy? I hope that it was recent. Did
    your doctor diagnose this separation?

    What happens is that the tendon between rectus muscles separates.
    See: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html
    So you need to encourage that tendon's repair and not hinder it.
    You want to avoid ab work that would cause the connecting
    oblique muscles to pull upon the rectus -- so that you're not
    pulling the the tear further apart or keeping it from repairing.
    Things like side-bends, twisting motions and the like will work
    your obliques and that could cause you more of a problem.

    I haven't worked with anyone who's had your problem so I don't
    have anecdotal proof on what helps. That said there are some
    exercises that are suppose to help with this condition. Here's
    one site that explains the ab work that should help.

    http://www.maternitycenter.com/articles/post1.html

    Good luck.

    --
    Rudy - Remove the Z from my address to respond.

    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"
    -Emiliano Zapata

    Check out the a.s.d.l-c FAQ at:
    http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/faq.htm

  10. MU

    MU Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:41:16 -0600, Glitter Girl wrote:

    > Can you reccommend exercises for me-my abdominal muscle seperated during my
    > last pregnancy, and am waiting to be sure about possible pregnancies before
    > I have it repaired. What should I avoid?

    Everything. I quit having clients do ab exercises since all this BS about
    "core strength" training is BS. You can't do a thing except flop around
    like a fish out of water if you don't have this "core" to begin with.

    Avoid every kind of stressful exercise until either you are healed or your
    physician clears you.

    And please, don't ask a "personal trainer" for medical advice much less
    take it. These guys have bought their worthless certifications which are a
    sham in the industry.

  11. Mogget

    Mogget Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    RRzVRR <[email protected]> writes
    >Mogget wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder if I could ask your opinion, please? (Apologies if this
    >>isn't your area).

    >It is my area now... since you've been gone I've become a personal
    >trainer and have been working for several years now. That's why I don't
    >have as much time to spend on-line.

    <Snip>

    Very many thanks.
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  12. Glitter Girl

    Glitter Girl Guest

    may last pregnancy was 16 months ago, and yes, it was diagnosed by my
    midwife, but I was told the seperation was too severe to correct with
    exercise alone, that I would definitely need surgery....

    Glitter Girl
    "RRzVRR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Glitter Girl wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Rudy!
    >>
    >> Can you reccommend exercises for me-my abdominal muscle seperated during
    >> my last pregnancy, and am waiting to be sure about possible pregnancies
    >> before I have it repaired. What should I avoid?
    >>
    >> Glitter Girl

    > When was your last pregnancy? I hope that it was recent. Did your doctor
    > diagnose this separation?
    >
    > What happens is that the tendon between rectus muscles separates. See:
    > http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html
    > So you need to encourage that tendon's repair and not hinder it. You want
    > to avoid ab work that would cause the connecting oblique muscles to pull
    > upon the rectus -- so that you're not pulling the the tear further apart
    > or keeping it from repairing. Things like side-bends, twisting motions and
    > the like will work your obliques and that could cause you more of a
    > problem.
    >
    > I haven't worked with anyone who's had your problem so I don't have
    > anecdotal proof on what helps. That said there are some exercises that
    > are suppose to help with this condition. Here's one site that explains
    > the ab work that should help.
    >
    > http://www.maternitycenter.com/articles/post1.html
    >

    > Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Rudy - Remove the Z from my address to respond.
    >
    > "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"
    > -Emiliano Zapata
    >
    > Check out the a.s.d.l-c FAQ at: http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/faq.htm

  13. RRzVRR

    RRzVRR Guest

    Glitter Girl wrote:

    > may last pregnancy was 16 months ago, and yes, it was diagnosed by my
    > midwife, but I was told the seperation was too severe to correct with
    > exercise alone, that I would definitely need surgery....
    >
    > Glitter Girl

    Sorry to hear you'll have to have surgery. Ask your doctor is
    doing the suggested ab work will do any harm... and as I wrote
    talk to your Dr. about how oblique work could be a problem.