PING: Serene

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jude, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Serene,

    I must offer you, the Quiche Goddess, a million words of praise.

    I made a spinach-feta-red onion quiche tonight. I pulled up your recipe
    posted a month or so ago to see if you did anything different. I never
    would have thought to add sun-dried tomatoes to a quiche, and it was
    incredible the difference it made! It added a whole subtle layer of
    flavor that I didn't expect. This one's a keeper.

    Question, though. My basic quiche uses 3 eggs and a cup of milk/half
    and half/cream. Your used 3 eggs and 1/2 c sour cream. What difference
    does sour cream make in a quiche? Does it change the consistency, or
    the flavor, more? (I woulda tried it but I didn't have any in the
    house.)

    Thanks for your yumminess!!

    Tags:

  2. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On 30 Mar 2006 17:49:31 -0800, "Jude" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Serene,
    >
    >I must offer you, the Quiche Goddess, a million words of praise.

    Thank you kindly. I like being a goddess. I think I'll get me a sash
    or a scepter or something.

    >I made a spinach-feta-red onion quiche tonight. I pulled up your recipe
    >posted a month or so ago to see if you did anything different. I never
    >would have thought to add sun-dried tomatoes to a quiche, and it was
    >incredible the difference it made! It added a whole subtle layer of
    >flavor that I didn't expect. This one's a keeper.

    Yay!

    >Question, though. My basic quiche uses 3 eggs and a cup of milk/half
    >and half/cream. Your used 3 eggs and 1/2 c sour cream. What difference
    >does sour cream make in a quiche? Does it change the consistency, or
    >the flavor, more? (I woulda tried it but I didn't have any in the
    >house.)

    I have read that any dairy product will work -- milk, cream, sour
    cream, cottage cheese -- but my friend Piglet's recipe has sour cream
    (and before I used this recipe, I'd never had a quiche success), so
    that's what I use. At first, it was too moist for me: Piglet's
    recipe uses a cup of sour cream to three/four eggs, and in hers, you
    layer the cheese in slices on the bottom. I played with it until I
    found a combo that made the quiche firm enough for me. I don't like
    watery quiche.

    serene

  3. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:06:17 -0800, Serene <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have read that any dairy product will work -- milk, cream, sour
    >cream, cottage cheese -- but my friend Piglet's recipe has sour cream
    >(and before I used this recipe, I'd never had a quiche success), so
    >that's what I use. At first, it was too moist for me: Piglet's
    >recipe uses a cup of sour cream to three/four eggs, and in hers, you
    >layer the cheese in slices on the bottom. I played with it until I
    >found a combo that made the quiche firm enough for me. I don't like
    >watery quiche.

    Have you posted the actual recipe for this? I'd like to try making
    crustless quiches for quick breakfasts.

    Thankee,
    Carol

  4. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:05:28 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:06:17 -0800, Serene <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have read that any dairy product will work -- milk, cream, sour
    >>cream, cottage cheese -- but my friend Piglet's recipe has sour cream
    >>(and before I used this recipe, I'd never had a quiche success), so
    >>that's what I use. At first, it was too moist for me: Piglet's
    >>recipe uses a cup of sour cream to three/four eggs, and in hers, you
    >>layer the cheese in slices on the bottom. I played with it until I
    >>found a combo that made the quiche firm enough for me. I don't like
    >>watery quiche.

    >Have you posted the actual recipe for this? I'd like to try making
    >crustless quiches for quick breakfasts.

    Yep, but I may have just posted it to the recipe groups. Anyway, here
    it is quoted from rec.food.recipes:

    I love my friend Piglet's quiche recipe, but whenever I've made it,
    it's been too moist for my (and my family's) tastes, so I've been
    tweaking it over the years (I don't make it that often), and today I
    got it just right for us. This recipe made two. I added the tomatoes
    to one, and not the other, but both were really yummy. I used frozen
    pie crusts, but of course make them from scratch if you want.

    Spinach, Feta, and Caramelized Onion Quiche

    6 tablespoons butter (hush up -- butter's good for you!)
    2 medium onions, sliced
    5-6 oz. fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
    6 medium eggs (I suppose 4 large might be right, but who knows)
    1 cup sour cream
    8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
    a few pieces of marinated sun-dried tomatoes, optional
    2 pie crusts, not deep-dish

    Saute onions in butter on medium-to-low heat until caramelized (I
    think it took about 30 minutes, but I'm not sure). Add spinach. Cook
    and stir until spinach wilts and most of the moisture seems gone. Set
    aside. Whisk together eggs and sour cream until creamy. Stir in feta
    and vegetable mixture, and tomatoes if desired. Pour into pie crusts
    (do not defrost first if frozen). Bake on cookie sheet on middle rack
    for 40 minutes or until tops are beginning to be golden brown and
    crusts are golden brown.

    Let stand for 5 minutes or so, then eat.

    Serene

  5. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:34:18 -0800, Serene <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Spinach, Feta, and Caramelized Onion Quiche

    This sounds amazing! You are clearly a goddess.

    Peace,
    Carol

  6. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:37:11 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:34:18 -0800, Serene <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Spinach, Feta, and Caramelized Onion Quiche

    >This sounds amazing! You are clearly a goddess.

    Now, y'all are gonna go turning my head. (Thank you.)

    I went for years making mediocre quiches from recipes, and finally
    decided to really pay attention and get one I like. This one works
    for me, and it worked well with green onions and colby as the
    veggie/cheese mixture, as well. (And it was kind of fun that the
    mixed-in green onions floated to the top decoratively:
    http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0002z0wz/g5 )

    serene

  7. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:42:45 -0800, Serene <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I went for years making mediocre quiches from recipes, and finally
    >decided to really pay attention and get one I like. This one works
    >for me, and it worked well with green onions and colby as the
    >veggie/cheese mixture, as well. (And it was kind of fun that the
    >mixed-in green onions floated to the top decoratively:
    >http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0002z0wz/g5 )

    They're absolutely perfect! I'll try this for sure! Crash won't
    touch spinach, but we both love green onions. Wow!

    In awe,
    Carol

  8. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-31, Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > They're absolutely perfect! I'll try this for sure! Crash won't
    > touch spinach, but we both love green onions. Wow!

    Try my old standby, bacon, mushrooms, and green onions.

    nb

  9. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:34:03 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2006-03-31, Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> They're absolutely perfect! I'll try this for sure! Crash won't
    >> touch spinach, but we both love green onions. Wow!

    >Try my old standby, bacon, mushrooms, and green onions.

    Mushrooms? ARGH!!

    Piece of quiche,
    Carol, running and hiding