PING: Sheldon

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nexis, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but didn't
    you post your recipe/method for corned beef at one point? If
    I'm not crazy, could you please repost it? Thanks!

    kimberly

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Nexis" writes:
    >
    >Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but didn't
    >you post your recipe/method for corned beef at one point?
    >If I'm not crazy, could you please repost it? Thanks!

    It's also in the r.f.c. cookbook.

    ---= Corned Beef =---

    Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer
    Nathan's).

    Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of
    water. First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if
    present (old spices were used up), or save spice packet if
    present. Start in cold water. Bring to the boil (uncovered).
    Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes, discarding water removes
    excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual cooking begins.
    Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice packet
    (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
    pickling spices. Bring to the boil, lower heat to low
    simmer. Simmer aproximately 1 hour and add peeled carrots
    (whole) and unpeeled potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again
    and add cabbage wedges. Simmer til veggies are tender and
    remove. Continue simmering til corned beef is tender yet
    firm; test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove corned
    beef to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
    sugar, tent loosely with foil, and place in 325 F oven for
    30-45 minutes. Remove corned beef from oven (now place
    veggies in oven to reheat). Let corned beef rest uncovered
    15 minutes. With sharp knife slice thinly accross grain, and
    serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.

    ---

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    : Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but
    : didn't you
    post your
    : recipe/method for corned beef at one point? If I'm
    : not crazy,
    could you
    : please repost it? Thanks!
    :
    : kimberly
    :
    : ==========

    I'm not Sheldon but this is the recipe that I use and IIRC,
    it's very similar to the his:

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

    Nova Scotia Corned Beef and Cabbage

    8 c Water 1 c Salt 3 TBSP Sugar 1 Bay Leaf ( I use 2) 6
    Peppercorns (I use about 30) 1 clove Garlic (HAHA several!)
    2 tsp Pickling Spices (I use 1 1/2 TBSP)

    Mix together and cover a beef round. Marinate in the fridge
    for 2 - 4 days before cooking.

    3-4 # Corned Beef 2-3 cloves Garlic 3 Bay Leaves WATER to
    cover 1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges

    Put all the ingredients except the cabbage in a large pot
    and heat to boiling. Skim the surface, then cover and simmer
    over low heat until nearly tender, about 1 hour per pound.
    Remove the meat and skim off all the fat from the surface.
    Add the cabbage and simmer until tender but firm, about 10
    minutes. One serving (4 oz) corned beef and 1/2 c cabbage is
    250 calories. The original recipe came from "The Slim
    Gourmet Cook Book"

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    rnchackett writes:

    >:"Nexis" wrote:
    >:
    >: Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but
    >: didn't you
    >post your
    >: recipe/method for corned beef at one point? please repost
    >: it? Thanks!
    >:
    >: kimberly

    >I'm not Sheldon but this is the recipe that I use and IIRC,
    >it's very similar to the his:

    That fercocktah recipe couldn't be any more different
    from mine... aside from everything else being different
    yours uses ASS meat... in fact anyone prepares your
    recipe will very likely become deathly ill, seriously...
    yoose been warned.

    >Nova Scotia Corned Beef and Cabbage
    >
    >8 c Water 1 c Salt 3 TBSP Sugar 1 Bay Leaf ( I use 2) 6
    >Peppercorns (I use about 30) 1 clove Garlic (HAHA several!)
    >2 tsp Pickling Spices (I use 1 1/2 TBSP)
    >
    >Mix together and cover a beef round. Marinate in the fridge
    >for 2 - 4 days before cooking.
    >
    >3-4 # Corned Beef 2-3 cloves Garlic 3 Bay Leaves WATER to
    >cover 1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges
    >
    >Put all the ingredients except the cabbage in a large pot
    >and
    ---

    >heat to boiling. Skim the surface, then cover and simmer
    >over low heat until nearly tender, about 1 hour per pound.
    >Remove the meat and skim off all the fat from the surface.
    >Add the cabbage and simmer until tender but firm, about 10
    >minutes. One serving (4 oz) corned beef and 1/2 c cabbage
    >is 250 calories. The original recipe came from "The Slim
    >Gourmet Cook Book"

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  5. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    I agree on the ASS meat part. But why do you think the rest
    of the recipe is so Toxic, Mr. Martin? I'd seriously like to
    know. Saint Paddy's coming up an' all.

    And by the way. Say "Welcome back Steve! Long time no
    savvy!"

    Steve

    On 13 Mar 2004 00:30:31 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01)
    Interjected..
    :

    > rnchackett writes:
    > >
    > >:"Nexis" wrote:
    > >:
    > >: Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but
    > >: didn't you
    > >post your
    > >: recipe/method for corned beef at one point? please
    > >: repost it? Thanks!
    > >:
    > >: kimberly
    >

    > >I'm not Sheldon but this is the recipe that I use and
    > >IIRC, it's very similar to the his:
    >
    > That fercocktah recipe couldn't be any more different
    > from mine... aside from everything else being different
    > yours uses ASS meat... in fact anyone prepares your
    > recipe will very likely become deathly ill, seriously...
    > yoose been warned.
    >

    > >Nova Scotia Corned Beef and Cabbage
    > >
    > >8 c Water 1 c Salt 3 TBSP Sugar 1 Bay Leaf ( I use 2) 6
    > >Peppercorns (I use about 30) 1 clove Garlic (HAHA
    > >several!) 2 tsp Pickling Spices (I use 1 1/2 TBSP)
    > >
    > >Mix together and cover a beef round. Marinate in the
    > >fridge for 2 - 4 days before cooking.
    > >
    > >3-4 # Corned Beef 2-3 cloves Garlic 3 Bay Leaves WATER to
    > >cover 1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges
    > >
    > >Put all the ingredients except the cabbage in a large
    > >pot and
    > ---
    >

    > >heat to boiling. Skim the surface, then cover and simmer
    > >over low heat until nearly tender, about 1 hour per
    > >pound. Remove the meat and skim off all the fat from the
    > >surface. Add the cabbage and simmer until tender but
    > >firm, about 10 minutes. One serving (4 oz) corned beef
    > >and 1/2 c cabbage is 250 calories. The original recipe
    > >came from "The Slim Gourmet Cook Book"
    >

    > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
    > UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
    > would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    > tribulation."

  6. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > rnchackett writes:
    >
    >>:"Nexis" wrote:
    >>:
    >>: Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but
    >>: didn't you
    >>post your
    >>: recipe/method for corned beef at one point? please
    >>: repost it? Thanks!
    >>:
    >>: kimberly
    >

    >>I'm not Sheldon but this is the recipe that I use and
    >>IIRC, it's very similar to the his:
    >

    > That fercocktah recipe couldn't be any more different
    > from mine... aside from everything else being different
    > yours uses ASS meat... in fact anyone prepares your
    > recipe will very likely become deathly ill, seriously...
    > yoose been warned.

    I don't see anything dangerous about it, but it doesn't look
    all that good either. Not enough fat, for one thing. And 3
    or 4 days is not long enough to cure a big piece of meat
    unless you inject it. Without any nitrate or nitrite, the
    cooked meat will be gray instead of pink.

    I do have a recipe for making corned beef brisket from
    scratch. If I were making this, I'd use about 1 1/2 cups
    pickling salt, and 2 tsp "prague powder" or "instacure #1"
    instead of the saltpeter. I wish David R. had given the salt
    measurement in pounds instead of cups; especially since he
    used kosher salt. Here's the recipe:

    JEWISH STYLE CORNED BEEF from FoodTV "TASTE" SHOW#TS4838

    1 (12pound) whole brisket 4 quarts water 2 cups Kosher
    salt 1 teaspoon saltpeter 5 bay leaves 7 cloves
    garlic, smashed
    2/4 teaspoon ground cloves 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns 1
    teaspoon allspice berries 1 teaspoon mustard seeds 1 cup
    white vinegar
    3/2 cup white sugar

    Place all ingredients except garlic and brisket in a
    large pan and bring to a boil and cool. Place garlic and
    brisket in non-reactive pot and cover with brining
    liquid, cover with a plate and weight for 3 weeks,
    turning after 1 1/2 weeks.

    Add to a steamer pot:
    4/4 teaspoon cloves 2 teaspoons peppercorns 1 teaspoon
    allspice berries 1 teaspoon mustard seeds 3 cloves garlic
    5/4 cup salt

    Remove meat from the brine and rinse. Add enough water to
    the steamer pot to reach just below the bottom of the
    steamer. Place meat in steamer.

    Steam for 3 hours, until tender.

    Suggested wine: 1988 Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett,
    Elisabeth Christoffel - Berres

  7. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Steve Ritter wrote:

    > I agree on the ASS meat part. But why do you think the
    > rest of the recipe is so Toxic, Mr. Martin? I'd
    > seriously like to know. Saint Paddy's coming up an' all.
    >
    > And by the way. Say "Welcome back Steve! Long time no
    > savvy!" Steve

    He probably thinks it's toxic because the cure is not nearly
    long enough. But since it is cured in the refrigerator and
    goes straight from the cure to the cooker, I don't see any
    safety problem.

    If I'm wrong, we'll hear about it soon enough ;-)

    Bob

  8. Steve Ritter

    Steve Ritter Guest

    On 13 Mar 2004 02:49:40 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) Interjected..
    :

    > > Steve *Douche Bag* Ritter
    > >
    > > I agree on the ASS meat part. But why do you think
    > > the rest of the recipe is so Toxic, Mr. Martin?
    > > I'd seriously like to know. Saint Paddy's coming
    > > up an' all.

    Same old Sheldon.

    Your mother may be a newbie. And you should stop bringing
    up the past when I slept with her. I post as I like, as I
    have for many years in this newsgroup.

    Answer the question you stupid know it all. I'm not here
    to argue with your Tin Can mentality, sailor. Just food.

    So how about a welcome back hug? You bruiser:)

    Steve

  9. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >"Nexis" writes:
    > >
    > >Forgive me if my memory is failing me right now, but
    > >didn't you post your recipe/method for corned beef at one
    > >point? If I'm not crazy, could you please repost it?
    > >Thanks!
    >
    > It's also in the r.f.c. cookbook.
    >
    > ---= Corned Beef =---
    >
    > Choose good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer
    > Nathan's).
    >
    > Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots
    > of water.
    First,
    > rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old
    > spices were used
    up),
    > or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
    > Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump
    > water! Yes, discarding water removes excess
    > salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual cooking begins. Start
    > in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice packet (if
    > none exists or since
    you
    > dumped the first batch, add new pickling spices. Bring to
    > the boil, lower
    heat
    > to low simmer. Simmer aproximately 1 hour and add peeled
    > carrots (whole)
    and
    > unpeeled potatoes (whole), bring to simmer again and add
    > cabbage wedges. Simmer til veggies are tender and remove.
    > Continue simmering til corned
    beef
    > is tender yet firm; test with fork (your forking may
    > vary). Remove corned
    beef
    > to roasting pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown
    > sugar, tent
    loosely
    > with foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45 minutes.
    > Remove corned beef
    from
    > oven (now place veggies in oven to reheat). Let corned
    > beef rest
    uncovered 15
    > minutes. With sharp knife slice thinly accross grain, and
    > serve with
    veggies,
    > mustard, and beer.
    >
    > ---
    >

    > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
    > UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ````````````

    Thanks so much, Sheldon. I did find it in the cookbook after
    I posted. I have never prepared or served this, and wanted
    to give it a try for St. Patrick's day this year.

    Thanks again!! kimberly