Ping Slacker - Idrive tech stuff.

Andy Chequer

Guest
Slacker,

I'm servicing a friend's Idrive 1.0 this week. We think
the dog bone linkage may be worn and there's visible play
in the eccentric itself - would one cause the other or is
a small amount of play normal? Also in search of any
general Idrive servicing tips - you seem quite clued up
about these machines.

Andy Chequer.

Andy Chequer wrote:
> Slacker,
>
> I'm servicing a friend's Idrive 1.0 this week. We think
> the dog bone linkage may be worn and there's visible play
> in the eccentric itself - would one cause the other or is
> a small amount of play normal? Also in search of any
> general Idrive servicing tips - you seem quite clued up
> about these machines.
>
> Andy Chequer.

The play in eccentric would definitely wear the dog bone
bushes much faster. There shouldn't be any play in it. Think
about it, the BB is housed right smack in the middle of it
all... could really screw around with your shifting.

I highly suggest procuring, at a minimum, a new pair of
eccentric bearings and dog bone bushes (preferably just
replace the dog bone too)from <http://www.betd.co.uk/acata-
log/BETD_SHOP_XCR_I_Drive_Parts_21.html> or the shop of
your choice.

When you get the new bearings, pack them with the thickest
marine goop you can find. Be careful not to use too much,
especially on the races. The tolerances are pretty tight,
and too much grease will cause the bearing cage to not seat
properly and twist, jacking it up... don't ask me how I
know this ;-)

Just keep this in mind when your reassembling everything:
Treat the eccentric the same as you would your headset. You
want to tighten to the point of no play what so ever, but
not enough to crush the bearings. The cams should go
together nice and smooth, but it will be a little tight...
they have really fine threads (make sure to put a thin coat
of that same grease on the threads too).

It's actually pretty easy to work on and service. Oh
yeah, you'll most likely have to remove the BB cup on the
non-drive side because it will block you from being able
to unscrew the eccentric. You'll see what I mean when you
get there.

Any other questions just shoot them over... I'll help as
much as I can.

--
Slacker

<Snipped useful stuff>

Cheers Slacker I'll have a look see at it later in the week.
Certainly expecting to replace the dog bone, it would be
nice to reuse the eccentric bearings as they're quite
expensive but we'll see.

I'll let you know how I get on.....

Andy Chequer

(Speaking as the owner of said I-drive)

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to get a new dog bone
kit, and see how the bearings look when I get at them. The
only downside being that BETD's website won't accept my
order. Looks like I'll have to 'phone them or something.

Rob Adams.

"Andy Chequer"
<andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...