Ping: the Ranger

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I am
    wondering what you think of this practice:
    (Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in it,) I see
    the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same rag. I see
    children walking all over the booths with their feet that have been on the
    lovely restroom floors. Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto the
    table -- yuk! Do you know if people in the restaurant business ever
    instruct their workers regarding this? I have found one person once have
    two rags, one in each hand, wiping table, then seats, each separately. I
    remarked to her about it and she said they were instructed to do it that
    way. A McDonalds's -- but years ago.
    Another pet peeve re this wiping, is when I see a worker after a previous
    patron has been there, only swipe the table of crumbs, just a swipe, not
    completely over the table.
    Does this ever come up in your mind when you dine?
    Dee

    Tags:

  2. On Fri 15 Jul 2005 05:36:46a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I am
    > wondering what you think of this practice:
    > (Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in it,) I
    > see the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same rag. I
    > see children walking all over the booths with their feet that have been
    > on the lovely restroom floors. Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto
    > the table -- yuk! Do you know if people in the restaurant business ever
    > instruct their workers regarding this? I have found one person once
    > have two rags, one in each hand, wiping table, then seats, each
    > separately. I remarked to her about it and she said they were
    > instructed to do it that way. A McDonalds's -- but years ago.
    > Another pet peeve re this wiping, is when I see a worker after a
    > previous patron has been there, only swipe the table of crumbs, just a
    > swipe, not completely over the table.
    > Does this ever come up in your mind when you dine?
    > Dee

    Consider this as well... What do you do with your menu when you lay it
    down? Remember to not lay it down over silverware or any plates on the
    table that you might be using later. Who knows what the menu has been in
    contact with, and at the very least, someone else's hands.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0528-4, 07/14/2005
    Tested on: 7/15/2005 5:44:15 AM

  3. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri 15 Jul 2005 05:36:46a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I am
    >> wondering what you think of this practice:
    >> (Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in it,) I
    >> see the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same rag. I
    >> see children walking all over the booths with their feet that have been
    >> on the lovely restroom floors. Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto
    >> the table -- yuk! Do you know if people in the restaurant business ever
    >> instruct their workers regarding this? I have found one person once
    >> have two rags, one in each hand, wiping table, then seats, each
    >> separately. I remarked to her about it and she said they were
    >> instructed to do it that way. A McDonalds's -- but years ago.
    >> Another pet peeve re this wiping, is when I see a worker after a
    >> previous patron has been there, only swipe the table of crumbs, just a
    >> swipe, not completely over the table.
    >> Does this ever come up in your mind when you dine?
    >> Dee

    > Consider this as well... What do you do with your menu when you lay it
    > down? Remember to not lay it down over silverware or any plates on the
    > table that you might be using later. Who knows what the menu has been in
    > contact with, and at the very least, someone else's hands.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Geez, I am always reminded of this especially when the menu is sticky,
    sticky, sticky!
    OMG,
    Dee

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Fri 15 Jul 2005 05:36:46a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I
    >> am wondering what you think of this practice:
    >> (Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in
    >> it,) I see the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same
    >> rag. I see children walking all over the booths with their feet
    >> that have been on the lovely restroom floors. Transfer that sop
    >> onto a rag, then onto the table -- yuk! Do you know if people in
    >> the restaurant business ever instruct their workers regarding this?
    >> I have found one person once have two rags, one in each hand, wiping
    >> table, then seats, each separately. I remarked to her about it and
    >> she said they were instructed to do it that way. A McDonalds's --
    >> but years ago.
    >> Another pet peeve re this wiping, is when I see a worker after a
    >> previous patron has been there, only swipe the table of crumbs, just
    >> a swipe, not completely over the table.
    >> Does this ever come up in your mind when you dine?
    >> Dee

    > Consider this as well... What do you do with your menu when you lay
    > it down? Remember to not lay it down over silverware or any plates
    > on the table that you might be using later. Who knows what the menu
    > has been in contact with, and at the very least, someone else's hands.

    In at least one restaurant where I worked, part of my end of shift hostess
    duties was to wipe down the menus (plastic folders with paper inserts). And
    yes, it was a clean cloth and a spray-on disinfectant.

    Jill

  5. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I am
    >wondering what you think of this practice:
    > (Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in it,) I see
    > the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same rag. I see children
    > walking all over the booths with their feet that have been on the lovely
    > restroom floors. Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto the table -- yuk!

    <Snip> The assumption is that the Bacteria can live outside of their nice warm
    environment all the way from the bathroom floor to the table. I don't think you
    have to worry. I would worry more about the cooks hairs falling onto the food
    and the guy in the next booth who just coughed in your direction launching an
    airborne cloud of infection.

    Just some fun things to think about on a Friday Morning.

    Dimitri

  6. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:36:46 -0400, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I am
    >wondering what you think of this practice:
    >(Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in it,) I see
    >the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same rag. I see
    >children walking all over the booths with their feet that have been on the
    >lovely restroom floors. Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto the
    >table -- yuk! Do you know if people in the restaurant business ever
    >instruct their workers regarding this? I have found one person once have
    >two rags, one in each hand, wiping table, then seats, each separately. I
    >remarked to her about it and she said they were instructed to do it that
    >way. A McDonalds's -- but years ago.
    >Another pet peeve re this wiping, is when I see a worker after a previous
    >patron has been there, only swipe the table of crumbs, just a swipe, not
    >completely over the table.
    >Does this ever come up in your mind when you dine?
    >Dee

    I try not to think about it, or what goes on in the kitchen :p

    What I think about more is taking a piece of bread from the bread
    basket with my hands after opening doors, holding on to railings, etc.
    I now carry hand wipes in my purse.

    Sue(tm)

  7. Dimitri wrote on 15 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and
    > >I am wondering what you think of this practice:
    > > (Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant
    > > in it,) I see the workers wiping down the seats and table with
    > > the same rag. I see children walking all over the booths with
    > > their feet that have been on the lovely restroom floors.
    > > Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto the table -- yuk!

    > <Snip> The assumption is that the Bacteria can live outside of
    > their nice warm environment all the way from the bathroom floor to
    > the table. I don't think you have to worry. I would worry more
    > about the cooks hairs falling onto the food and the guy in the
    > next booth who just coughed in your direction launching an
    > airborne cloud of infection.
    >
    > Just some fun things to think about on a Friday Morning.
    >
    > Dimitri

    Get over it...there are roughly 100 bacteria species that live on just
    your face...I can't think of a place where something hasn't crapped....
    whether it be bacterial, insect, mammal, reptile, fish or
    dinosaur/bird.

    --
    It's not a question of where he grips it!
    It's a simple question of weight ratios!

    A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

  8. Dimitri wrote:
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I was reading your posts about being around restaurants a lot and I am
    >>wondering what you think of this practice:
    >>(Even though I 'think' the bar/mop/dish/rag has a disinfectant in it,) I see
    >>the workers wiping down the seats and table with the same rag. I see children
    >>walking all over the booths with their feet that have been on the lovely
    >>restroom floors. Transfer that sop onto a rag, then onto the table -- yuk!

    > <Snip> The assumption is that the Bacteria can live outside of their nice warm
    > environment all the way from the bathroom floor to the table. I don't think you
    > have to worry. I would worry more about the cooks hairs falling onto the food

    or *anyone* in the kitchen who handles food and utensils who doesn't
    wash their hands properly. yeech!

    --

    saerah

    "It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

    aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

    "I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
    contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
    -König Prüß