Ping: Wayne, Jude, Biig....

sf

Guest
Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
(wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
ice cream plopped on it).

On Wed 22 Feb 2006 10:55:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
> recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
> don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
> (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
> ice cream plopped on it).

Barbara, this one is a true classic. Note, that the cake is a spongecake,
not a butter cake. It works especially well because it absorbs much of
the syrupy topping without becoming gooey.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mother's Pineapple Upside-down Cake - 1932

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

1/2 c Butter
1 c Brown sugar
7 sl Pineapple
7 ea Maraschino cherries
3 ea Eggs, separated
1 c Granulated sugar
5 tb Pineapple juice
1 c All-purpose flour
1 t Baking powder

Melt one half cup butter in a large iron frying pan. Add one cup brown
sugar and spread evenly over bottom of "Up-Side-Down" Pan. Lay complete
wheel of pineapple in center. Put cherry in center and place half
wheels around as in picture. make following sponge batter--Beat yolks
of three eggs, add one cup granulated sugar and five tablespoons of
pineapple juice. Sift in one cup of flour and one teaspoon baking
powder. Fold into stiffly beaten egg whites. pour over fruit. Bake
forty-five minutes to hour in moderate oven.

Note: This recipe was included with a concave-bottom "Up-Side-Down"
Cake Pan my mother purchased in the late 1930's. It was manufactured by
the Chicago Mettalic Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Ill., 1932.

The other one I make is using a "standard" gingerbread recipe, but
preparing a topping as above, using poached pear slices instead of the
pineapple.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Many thanks, Wayne.... your recipe is filed and saved!

`````````

On 23 Feb 2006 07:11:58 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 22 Feb 2006 10:55:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?
>
> > Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
> > recipes!

<snip>

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Mother's Pineapple Upside-down Cake - 1932
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Cakes Desserts

> 1/2 c Butter
> 1 c Brown sugar
> 7 sl Pineapple
> 7 ea Maraschino cherries
> 3 ea Eggs, separated
> 1 c Granulated sugar
> 5 tb Pineapple juice
> 1 c All-purpose flour
> 1 t Baking powder
>
> Melt one half cup butter in a large iron frying pan. Add one cup brown
> sugar and spread evenly over bottom of "Up-Side-Down" Pan. Lay complete
> wheel of pineapple in center. Put cherry in center and place half
> wheels around as in picture. make following sponge batter--Beat yolks
> of three eggs, add one cup granulated sugar and five tablespoons of
> pineapple juice. Sift in one cup of flour and one teaspoon baking
> powder. Fold into stiffly beaten egg whites. pour over fruit. Bake
> forty-five minutes to hour in moderate oven.

Moderate Oven? What's the temp?

> Note: This recipe was included with a concave-bottom "Up-Side-Down"
> Cake Pan my mother purchased in the late 1930's. It was manufactured by
> the Chicago Mettalic Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Ill., 1932.
>

> The other one I make is using a "standard" gingerbread recipe, but
> preparing a topping as above, using poached pear slices instead of the
> pineapple.

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 12:29:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denise~*?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Mother's Pineapple Upside-down Cake - 1932
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Cakes Desserts
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1/2 c Butter
>> 1 c Brown sugar
>> 7 sl Pineapple
>> 7 ea Maraschino cherries
>> 3 ea Eggs, separated
>> 1 c Granulated sugar
>> 5 tb Pineapple juice
>> 1 c All-purpose flour
>> 1 t Baking powder
>>
>> Melt one half cup butter in a large iron frying pan. Add one cup
>> brown sugar and spread evenly over bottom of "Up-Side-Down" Pan. Lay
>> complete wheel of pineapple in center. Put cherry in center and
>> place half wheels around as in picture. make following sponge
>> batter--Beat yolks of three eggs, add one cup granulated sugar and
>> five tablespoons of pineapple juice. Sift in one cup of flour and one
>> teaspoon baking powder. Fold into stiffly beaten egg whites. pour
>> over fruit. Bake forty-five minutes to hour in moderate oven.

> Moderate Oven? What's the temp?

Oops, sorry. Guess I'm just used to the recipe. It should be 350°F.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 12:02:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> Many thanks, Wayne.... your recipe is filed and saved!

You're most welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

sf wrote:

> Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
> recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
> don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
> (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
> ice cream plopped on it).
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

At the risk of getting flamed....here goes....

open a box of cake mix, a good one, though and follow the directions
on the box, replacing the liquid with the juice from a quality can of
sliced peaches, or halves will do. Butter lightly, the bottom of a cake
pan, following the directions on the cake mix. Arrange peaches as you
would like. I didn't put cherries or brown sugar, since this cake is
sweet enough as it is. Bake as according to directions (a layer cake
will need two pans) Turn out onto a plate and you may dust it with
powdered sugar if you like. I never did. It didn't last long the way
it was...lol...four little piglets...lol....Sharon

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 07:57:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> sf wrote:
>>
>> Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
>> recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
>> don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
>> (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
>> ice cream plopped on it).
>> --
>>
>> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

> At the risk of getting flamed....here goes....
>
> open a box of cake mix, a good one, though and follow the directions
> on the box, replacing the liquid with the juice from a quality can of
> sliced peaches, or halves will do. Butter lightly, the bottom of a cake
> pan, following the directions on the cake mix. Arrange peaches as you
> would like. I didn't put cherries or brown sugar, since this cake is
> sweet enough as it is. Bake as according to directions (a layer cake
> will need two pans) Turn out onto a plate and you may dust it with
> powdered sugar if you like. I never did. It didn't last long the way
> it was...lol...four little piglets...lol....Sharon

I certainly wouldn't flame you. :) It sounds simple and very tasty. I
would miss a bit of syrup on top with the fruit, though, so I would
probably still add a little more butter and brown sugar to the bottom of
the pan and then arrange the peach slices. I bet that might also be good
using a chocolate cake mix.

Copied and saved for a future non-WW desert! :)

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 23 Feb 2006 07:57:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?
>

> > sf wrote:
> >>
> >> Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
> >> recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
> >> don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
> >> (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
> >> ice cream plopped on it).
> >> --
> >>
> >> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

> > At the risk of getting flamed....here goes....
> >
> > open a box of cake mix, a good one, though and follow the directions
> > on the box, replacing the liquid with the juice from a quality can of
> > sliced peaches, or halves will do. Butter lightly, the bottom of a cake
> > pan, following the directions on the cake mix. Arrange peaches as you
> > would like. I didn't put cherries or brown sugar, since this cake is
> > sweet enough as it is. Bake as according to directions (a layer cake
> > will need two pans) Turn out onto a plate and you may dust it with
> > powdered sugar if you like. I never did. It didn't last long the way
> > it was...lol...four little piglets...lol....Sharon

> I certainly wouldn't flame you. :) It sounds simple and very tasty. I
> would miss a bit of syrup on top with the fruit, though, so I would
> probably still add a little more butter and brown sugar to the bottom of
> the pan and then arrange the peach slices. I bet that might also be good
> using a chocolate cake mix.

Sounds like a good inprovement Wayne. I would love to make one
again (with your extras), but I'm now diabetic so this is only a fond
memory..
Grin.....Sharon

sf wrote:
> Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
> recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
> don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
> (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
> ice cream plopped on it).
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

I'll grab my Betty Crocker and post the recipe tonight. It's really
easy, and I like it beacuse the cake batter has no butter / marg and no
milk, both of which you find in the current recipes, so I think the
calories and fat grams are kept down some.

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 11:01:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > At the risk of getting flamed....here goes....
>> >
>> > open a box of cake mix, a good one, though and follow the
>> > directions
>> > on the box, replacing the liquid with the juice from a quality can of
>> > sliced peaches, or halves will do. Butter lightly, the bottom of a
>> > cake pan, following the directions on the cake mix. Arrange peaches
>> > as you would like. I didn't put cherries or brown sugar, since this
>> > cake is sweet enough as it is. Bake as according to directions (a
>> > layer cake will need two pans) Turn out onto a plate and you may dust
>> > it with powdered sugar if you like. I never did. It didn't last
>> > long the way it was...lol...four little piglets...lol....Sharon

>> I certainly wouldn't flame you. :) It sounds simple and very tasty.
>> I would miss a bit of syrup on top with the fruit, though, so I would
>> probably still add a little more butter and brown sugar to the bottom
>> of the pan and then arrange the peach slices. I bet that might also be
>> good using a chocolate cake mix.

> Sounds like a good inprovement Wayne. I would love to make one
> again (with your extras), but I'm now diabetic so this is only a fond
> memory..
> Grin.....Sharon

I can sympathize, Sharon. I am Type 2 diabetic, but I can manage
occasional extra sugars/carbs in small portions.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 23 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I can sympathize, Sharon. I am Type 2 diabetic, but I can manage
> occasional extra sugars/carbs in small portions.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¨o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

I'm type 2 too, and do manage some cake on occassion as well. I think this
idea of using the canned sliced fruit's liquid would work well in a varient
of Barb's rhubarb custard cake. I make that when I have a housefull and
won't be left with any cake laying around tempting me. Except I use canned
sliced fruit (pears or peaches) instead of the rhubarb or strawberry &
rhubarb.

--
-Alan

biig wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
> > recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
> > don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
> > (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla

> > ice cream plopped on it).
> > --

I have posted my apple upside down cake here before and it my be found
by a google group search of 'joseph littleshoes apple upside down
cake'.---
JL

> > Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

> At the risk of getting flamed....here goes....
>
> open a box of cake mix, a good one, though and follow the
> directions
> on the box, replacing the liquid with the juice from a quality can of
> sliced peaches, or halves will do. Butter lightly, the bottom of a
> cake
> pan, following the directions on the cake mix. Arrange peaches as you
> would like. I didn't put cherries or brown sugar, since this cake is
> sweet enough as it is. Bake as according to directions (a layer cake
> will need two pans) Turn out onto a plate and you may dust it with
> powdered sugar if you like. I never did. It didn't last long the way
>
> it was...lol...four little piglets...lol....Sharon

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 11:56:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jude?

> sf wrote:
>> Please put me out of my mysery and post your "upside down" cake
>> recipes! Reading the thread is pure torture for me.... I eat it, I
>> don't make it. The only version I've ever eaten is pineapple
>> (wonderful..... especially with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla
>> ice cream plopped on it).
>> --
>>
>> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

> I'll grab my Betty Crocker and post the recipe tonight. It's really
> easy, and I like it beacuse the cake batter has no butter / marg and no
> milk, both of which you find in the current recipes, so I think the
> calories and fat grams are kept down some.

The recipe I posted has no butter, margarine, or milk in the batter, either.
It's a sponge cake. It does, however, have butter in the topping. Most do.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 12:44:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
Incognito?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 23 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I can sympathize, Sharon. I am Type 2 diabetic, but I can manage
>> occasional extra sugars/carbs in small portions.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¨o ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA
>>

> I'm type 2 too, and do manage some cake on occassion as well. I think
> this idea of using the canned sliced fruit's liquid would work well in a
> varient of Barb's rhubarb custard cake. I make that when I have a
> housefull and won't be left with any cake laying around tempting me.
> Except I use canned sliced fruit (pears or peaches) instead of the
> rhubarb or strawberry & rhubarb.

I have yet to bake Barb's cake, although not for the lack of wanting. :)
Yes, I imagine peaches or pears would be good in that recipe, although I
also love rhubarb and strawberries.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Melt one half cup butter in a large iron frying pan. Add one cup
>>> brown sugar and spread evenly over bottom of "Up-Side-Down" Pan. Lay
>>> complete wheel of pineapple in center. Put cherry in center and
>>> place half wheels around as in picture. make following sponge
>>> batter--Beat yolks of three eggs, add one cup granulated sugar and
>>> five tablespoons of pineapple juice. Sift in one cup of flour and one
>>> teaspoon baking powder. Fold into stiffly beaten egg whites. pour
>>> over fruit. Bake forty-five minutes to hour in moderate oven.

>>Moderate Oven? What's the temp?

> Oops, sorry. Guess I'm just used to the recipe. It should be 350°F.

Thanks, I'm not current on my 1930's lingo either :)

On 23 Feb 2006 13:08:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu 23 Feb 2006 12:29:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denise~*?
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Mother's Pineapple Upside-down Cake - 1932
>>>
>>> Recipe By :
>>> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Cakes Desserts
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 1/2 c Butter
>>> 1 c Brown sugar
>>> 7 sl Pineapple
>>> 7 ea Maraschino cherries
>>> 3 ea Eggs, separated
>>> 1 c Granulated sugar
>>> 5 tb Pineapple juice
>>> 1 c All-purpose flour
>>> 1 t Baking powder
>>>
>>> Melt one half cup butter in a large iron frying pan. Add one cup
>>> brown sugar and spread evenly over bottom of "Up-Side-Down" Pan. Lay
>>> complete wheel of pineapple in center. Put cherry in center and
>>> place half wheels around as in picture. make following sponge
>>> batter--Beat yolks of three eggs, add one cup granulated sugar and
>>> five tablespoons of pineapple juice. Sift in one cup of flour and one
>>> teaspoon baking powder. Fold into stiffly beaten egg whites. pour
>>> over fruit. Bake forty-five minutes to hour in moderate oven.

How large is a large iron frying pan?
--
Susan N.

The Cook wrote:

> How large is a large iron frying pan?

I'm venturing on a 8 or a 9, but I have another question for Wayne too
regarding this. You say your mother used a neato pan from the 30's, but
yet you mention an iron pan. Do you bake it in a cast iron pan or do
you use the neato 30's pan?

> > Sounds like a good inprovement Wayne. I would love to make one
> > again (with your extras), but I'm now diabetic so this is only a fond
> > memory..
> > Grin.....Sharon
> >

> I can sympathize, Sharon. I am Type 2 diabetic, but I can manage
> occasional extra sugars/carbs in small portions.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

I'm type 2 also, but with just the two of us these days, half that
cake would be my downfall. With something like that, I have no will
power. I do well as long as nothing like that is around. Now, where
are those little piglets when I need them....lol... Oh, they have little
piglets of their own....even they are all grown up....darn....Sharon
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

On Thu 23 Feb 2006 02:18:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Cook?

> On 23 Feb 2006 13:08:23 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu 23 Feb 2006 12:29:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it

> How large is a large iron frying pan?

A deep 9" pan, or regular 10" pan. Sorry, this is a very old recipe with
less details than current recipes. The moderate oven should be 350°F.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o

BIOYA