Ping: Wayne, Jude, Biig....

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sf, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. biig

    biig Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote on 23 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    > > I can sympathize, Sharon. I am Type 2 diabetic, but I can manage
    > > occasional extra sugars/carbs in small portions.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Wayne Boatwright o¨o
    > > ____________________
    > >
    > > BIOYA
    > >

    > I'm type 2 too, and do manage some cake on occassion as well. I think this
    > idea of using the canned sliced fruit's liquid would work well in a varient
    > of Barb's rhubarb custard cake. I make that when I have a housefull and
    > won't be left with any cake laying around tempting me. Except I use canned
    > sliced fruit (pears or peaches) instead of the rhubarb or strawberry &
    > rhubarb.
    >
    > --
    > -Alan

    That sounds like a plan. I'll invite the piggies for supper and make
    2 cakes from Barb's recipe. It'll take two to feed them these
    days. ...Sharon

  2. On Thu 23 Feb 2006 02:31:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denise~*?

    > The Cook wrote:
    >
    >> How large is a large iron frying pan?

    > I'm venturing on a 8 or a 9, but I have another question for Wayne too
    > regarding this. You say your mother used a neato pan from the 30's, but
    > yet you mention an iron pan. Do you bake it in a cast iron pan or do
    > you use the neato 30's pan?

    I use the neato 30's pan. Mom had two of them. I don't know what happened
    to one of them, but I was able to salvage the other when she passed away.

    As to skillets, use a deep 9" or regular 10". There's a lot of rise to the
    batter.

    BTW, Nordicware introduced a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Pan a few years
    ago. It would be ideal for this cake.

    http://tinyurl.com/qjjs4

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > I use the neato 30's pan. Mom had two of them. I don't know what

    happened
    > to one of them, but I was able to salvage the other when she passed away.

    That's cool. I LOVE older stuff.

    > As to skillets, use a deep 9" or regular 10". There's a lot of rise to the
    > batter.

    I "inherited" some of my grandmothers cast iron, although I believe the
    biggest one I have is a 9, how deep is "deep"? I'm not sure if hers
    were considered "deep".

    I may make this recipe for my husband as he is lactose intolerant & I
    can sub the butter for another fat (done it before with another
    Pineapple UD cake, but I had to also replace the milk with soy milk &
    was not as moist as I would have preferred)

    > BTW, Nordicware introduced a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Pan a few years
    > ago. It would be ideal for this cake.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/qjjs4

    Hrm, that is cool

  4. On Thu 23 Feb 2006 04:37:22p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denise~*?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    > > I use the neato 30's pan. Mom had two of them. I don't know what
    > > happened to one of them, but I was able to salvage the other when she
    > > passed away.

    > That's cool. I LOVE older stuff.
    >
    >> As to skillets, use a deep 9" or regular 10". There's a lot of rise to
    >> the batter.

    > I "inherited" some of my grandmothers cast iron, although I believe the
    > biggest one I have is a 9, how deep is "deep"? I'm not sure if hers
    > were considered "deep".

    I think it would need to be at least 2-1/2" deep.

    > I may make this recipe for my husband as he is lactose intolerant & I
    > can sub the butter for another fat (done it before with another
    > Pineapple UD cake, but I had to also replace the milk with soy milk &
    > was not as moist as I would have preferred)

    Sounds like a plan! The cake, itself, is delicious.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    > Denise informs:
    >
    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >
    > > > Mom had two of them. I don't know what
    > > > happened to one of them, but the other
    > > > passed away.

    > > That's cool. I LOVE older stuff.

    Me too... don't tell, don't swell, and grateful as hell. hehe

    Sheldon

  6. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Note: This recipe was included with a concave-bottom "Up-Side-Down"
    > Cake Pan my mother purchased in the late 1930's. It was manufactured by
    > the Chicago Mettalic Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Ill., 1932.

    Hey Wayne, here's something interesting I found while trying to search
    the cake pan mentioned above. This might mirror your life a bit?

    http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/11762

  7. On Thu 23 Feb 2006 11:37:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denise~*?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> Note: This recipe was included with a concave-bottom "Up-Side-Down"
    >> Cake Pan my mother purchased in the late 1930's. It was manufactured by
    >> the Chicago Mettalic Manufacturing Co., Chicago, Ill., 1932.

    > Hey Wayne, here's something interesting I found while trying to search
    > the cake pan mentioned above. This might mirror your life a bit?
    >
    > http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/11762

    Hmm... Indeed it does.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Here's my recipe, quite similar to Wayne's:

     1/3            c  Butter
      1 /2                c  Brown sugar
    1 14-oz can fruit, rained
     Maraschino cherries and nuts as desired

    2 Eggs
    1/3 c Granulated sugar
    1/3 c brown sugar
    6 T juice frm fruit can
    1 t vanilla or almond extract
      1   c  All-purpose flour
      1/3 t Baking powder
    1/2 t salt

      Preheat oven to 350.

    Melt butter in a large cast iron frying pan in the oven.
    Scatter brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
    Arrange fruit in attractive pattern over the butter-suagr coating. (I
    used a can of apricots, halved marischino cherries, and pecan halves
    this time. I've also done it with pineapple rings, of course, or
    peaches.)

    Beat eggs for 5 minutes, until thick and lemon yellow in color.
    Gradually beat in sugars.
    All at once, add juice and flavoring. (The apricots were in syrup, not
    juice, so I used O.J. this time.)
    Stir together and beat in dry ingredients.
    Pour over fruit.
    Bake 45 minutes or until wooden pick thrust in center of cake comes out
    clean.
    Immeidately upon removal from oven, turn cake upside-down on serving
    platter, but do not remove pan. Allow to stand for several minutes to
    allow syrup to saturate cake.