Pink eye and cycling?

ToffoIsMe

Aug 19, 2005
Well yesterday I suddenly contracted pink eye pretty bad, in both eyes. Is it ok to still ride? More importantly, is it ok to race? I was looking at doing two races this weekend. Will riding make pink eye worse at all? I have a feeling it will dry out my eyes more than they already are, but will that have any negative impact. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

ToffoIsMe said:
Well yesterday I suddenly contracted pink eye pretty bad, in both eyes. Is it ok to still ride? More importantly, is it ok to race? I was looking at doing two races this weekend. Will riding make pink eye worse at all? I have a feeling it will dry out my eyes more than they already are, but will that have any negative impact. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Well, how often do you think you'll rub your eyes? And then rub them again? That's something to consider for both your recovery from conjunctivitis and the risk to others from catching conjunctivitis.....through contact.

Also consider that conjuctivitis also comes with photophobia, sensitivity to light, which may make you a risk on the road.

Personally, I'd stay home and get over the pink eye. Missing two races is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

ToffoIsMe said:

Thanks in advance.
I don't know about your eyes drying up, but would agree with alienator. What is the danger of you spreading it to others through contact? Isn't it better to stay home and get better rather than go to the race and have others curse you for coming with a contagious infection?