pins and plates in wrist - will pain get better when cycling??

tamberg

Jan 12, 2008
I broke my wrist in August and had pins and a plate put in my wrist...I know its been only 7 months, but my goal is to be a distance cyclist...the ortho doesn't want to take the hardware out, and I'm getting kinda paranoid about the acute soreness after just 27 miles...anyone have any experience with such an injury / any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pain always gets better when you cycle :). Kidding aside, I have broken the 5th meta carpal bone in my right hand in a cycling accident and had 3 needles installed for a month. I cycled with them, only a week after the accident, and yes the hand was pretty numb and I also had pins and needles (both literally and in its usual meaning :)). They went away after a couple of months.

But it sounds like your injury is more severe. How come your doctor recommends against taking the plate out?

He thinks it would be a pretty big thing, tearing and cutting through all the tissue again...he's happy with my mobility, but mobility of my wrist ain't gonna halp me feel comfortable on a long bike ride!!!

root said:
Pain always gets better when you cycle :). Kidding aside, I have broken the 5th meta carpal bone in my right hand in a cycling accident and had 3 needles installed for a month. I cycled with them, only a week after the accident, and yes the hand was pretty numb and I also had pins and needles (both literally and in its usual meaning :)). They went away after a couple of months.

But it sounds like your injury is more severe. How come your doctor recommends against taking the plate out?

I haven't had a wrist injury like yours, but I did shatter my left femur up near the hip joint a few years back, and the plate and many screws that were inserted to hold it all together while healing are still in there.

It took a long time to heal, and more time after that until I decided I was tired of being a couch potato, but once I got back on my bike I can't say that it has caused me any pain. My leg strength isn't quite what I have in the other leg, but that's the only "complaint" I have.

Your discomfort may fade with time.

tamberg said:
I broke my wrist in August and had pins and a plate put in my wrist...I know its been only 7 months, but my goal is to be a distance cyclist...the ortho doesn't want to take the hardware out, and I'm getting kinda paranoid about the acute soreness after just 27 miles...anyone have any experience with such an injury / any suggestions?

Thanks!
I have pins/plates/nails/screws in my left leg and a new right hip and have no weird pains at all. I was supposed to have the hardware out years ago but I never bothered. The only disadvantage with having metal in your body (as far as I can see) is that you have to take antibiotics when you go to the dentist.

I am sure that over time your pain will be less and less and one day you will be spinning along and it will dawn on you that the pain has gone completely this has happened to me a few times. I have always listened to the doctor but I have always been the judge of what my body can handle and I am always amazed on how the body adapts. I was riding one week after hip surgery and everyone thought I was nuts (?) three weeks later I was riding my 50km route when the other guys that where in hospial with me were on sticks!
Good Luck,
Bill

thanks a TON for the replies...I was kinda starting to freak out, as I plan on being a cyclist for life, and really want to do long distances!!!

:D

tamberg said:
Might want to pay special attention to the way the handlebar angle affects the bend in your wrist. Straighter is usually better.

I once rode and skied with a cracked nevicular for a few weeks. Just couldn't wait for the cast to come off. Good luck.

My Scaphoid (nevicular) has had two Matti-Russe jobs, one with bleeding bone, and mine still hurts when I ride. Get used to it.

skammer said:
My Scaphoid (nevicular) has had two Matti-Russe jobs, one with bleeding bone, and mine still hurts when I ride. Get used to it.
Sounds nasty, and I'm sorry it still hurts. I've been lucky to have fully recovered. I guess the only lasting ill effect is that my wrist won't let me play my guitar slung low like Jimmy Page. Not that I still want to.