Piriformis syndrome or kinked iliac artery

skinnyshinz

Jan 15, 2007
Hi,
I'm having problems with numbness and loss of power in my left leg when cycling and have self-diagnosed it (after reading many posts and a few articles) to either piriformis syndrome or kinked iliac artery - the symptoms really seem to fit the bill). No symptoms from running, but it also happens (to a much lesser degree) after extended periods seated.
Thing is, where do I go from here to get a more definitive answer? What kind of professional should I go and see?
I'm based in the UK (in Bath, which happens to have a university and sports centre with a large sports staff) - should I investigate them? Or see my GP?
I'd really like to get it sorted as I feel it's holding me back in my (mainly triathlon) training and racing.

Cheers,
Andy

Diagnosis by limited internet reading is dangerous as non-professional lack the depth of knowledge on other rarer possibilities. So yes, see a GP first and then investigations as necessary.

For vascular cause, ABPI measurements in appropriate postures should be more than enough to exclude this possibility.

I would find your nearest uni that runs a sports rehab degree. They will only let their students loose on clients when they're ready and under strict supervision for a heavily discounted fee. If it's piriformis syndrome a good sports massage then a stretching programme will sort you out (providing you stick to that programme).Given the fract the it's more than likely Musculo-skeletal (that is not a diagnosis- just a probability) I would go down that route 1st. If you see your GP 1st you will have to go thru the mill of beaurocrity before you actualy see a physio. Only see a GP if the 1st option fails after good few weeks.

skinnyshinz said:
Hi,
I'm having problems with numbness and loss of power in my left leg when cycling and have self-diagnosed it (after reading many posts and a few articles) to either piriformis syndrome or kinked iliac artery - the symptoms really seem to fit the bill). No symptoms from running, but it also happens (to a much lesser degree) after extended periods seated.
Thing is, where do I go from here to get a more definitive answer? What kind of professional should I go and see?
I'm based in the UK (in Bath, which happens to have a university and sports centre with a large sports staff) - should I investigate them? Or see my GP?
I'd really like to get it sorted as I feel it's holding me back in my (mainly triathlon) training and racing.

Cheers,
Andy
See a doc. It could be a herniated lumbar disc, vascular problem or other.