Pissing Blood After A Workout

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by the_ryder, Oct 25, 2005.

1. the_ryder

the_ryder New Member

Hey has anyone here pissed blood after a workout? If it doesn't go away by tonight I'm going to have it checked out but after I came home from a 2 hour ride it happened.

Tags:

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Seriously, don't screw around with this. Go see a doctor even if it does go away. Seeing blood may be a sign that something is already wrong.

3. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Maybe you have gallstones from drinking too much soda?

Tell us what a doctor says - please!

4. nberk76

nberk76 New Member

This is a symptom that does warrant further workup. Most likely a kidney stone, but it could be something more serious.

5. the_ryder

the_ryder New Member

Feeling much better today...hooah! Maybe I wait one day before I get back on the bike...

6. Rocket^

Rocket^ New Member

the_ryder,

Don't screw around with this, go see a doctor. I just went thru something similiar and come to find out, my right kidney was completely blocked. Left untreated I could have had some very serious health issues down the road. Blood in your urine isn't something you want to mess around with. There is a reason it happened and whatever the cause, you need to have it checked out. Ignoring potential kidney problems can lead to permanent kidney damage, or complete loss of a kidney.

I have had one procedure done to repair my problem. This procedure kept me off the bike for eight days. I will have the second procedure done in December and expect another eight days off the bike. Sixteen days off the bike is a good trade versus the loss of a kidney.

Do yourself a favor, schedule an appointment with a urologist as soon as possible.

7. li rider

li rider New Member

don't wait. get to a doctor NOW! you have no idea what is gong on and if the next bleeding episode will be worse.

8. wiredued

wiredued New Member

See a doctor as others have said and you also might want to avoid sucralose it might be in your sports drink or gel I even found it in the ingredients of wholewheat english muffins. Anyways sucralose has a short history so the jury is still out on this theory but some people say it makes your kidneys bleed if you consume enough of it which could be causing or agrevating your problem. My own experience agrees with this theory for what its worth I prefer sugar, stevia or saccharin in that order and avoid the other sweetners.

9. the_ryder

the_ryder New Member

Thanks for the concern everyone - I'm going to have it checked out for sure.

10. roadhog

roadhog New Member

If you don't mind me asking... what other symptoms did you have (if any) other than the bloody urine. I had a strange bloody urine related episode a couple months ago and quite honestly I have little faith in my particular doctor's competence so I have lingering concern. My bloody urine lasted for about a day (recent ride before that was 3 days before - a particularly difficult 100 miler) and after I described the sensation to my wife she said it sounded very much like a urinary tract infection to her (most females of course have experience in this area). So I went to the doc, who proceeded to tell me that men virtually never get urinary tract infections unless something is wrong (stones, etc). Then he proceeded to prescribe medication to cure urinary tract infection and sent me on my way. The medication worked, but I remain worried because of his comments and lack of interest in following up on those comments.

11. the_ryder

the_ryder New Member

Yeah I have no problem describing it - I could feel as I was getting toward the end of my ride (like an 1 and 45 mins in) that something wasn't completely right. Everytime I spun my pedals I got this kind of sore feeling throughout what I guess you would call my urethra. It was really mild and when I got back I used the bathroom I was shocked to see that I was definitely pissing out blood. At that point there wasn't much pain involved, but after I took a shower moving from like sitting to standing or standing to sitting caused a more intensive soreness like that I had on my bike. That lasted for about an hour until I decided to lie down and rest with a Tylenol. When I woke up I felt fine and it hasn't happened again. I did a little reading and pissing blood can mean a couple of things for guys: over intensive exercise, urinary tract infection (but is rare like you mentioned), or something more serious with your kidney. In my case it was most likely the first, but I'll have it checked out in a about week just in case.

cheers,
    matt

12. Rocket^

Rocket^ New Member

I had a fairly high fever and some mild lower back pain. The doctor drew blood and did a urine sample. After concluding my white blood cell count was normal he discounted any infection etc. There were moderate to high amounts of blood in the urine sample. That coupled with the fact I had a fever and back pain led him to conclude I was passing a kidney stone. He sent me home with an anitbiotic and pain medication.

Because I fly for a living I was required to have testing done to verify that I had passed the stone.( In my case, I never had any kidneys stones) The flight surgeon recommended that I have a CT scan to meet this requirement. (side note: I have since learned CT scans aren't the most effective means for this type of problem) The CT scan picked up an abnormality but couldn't identify the cause. The hospital recommended an MRI. (Again, not the best test for this type of problem). The MRI also picked up an abnormality but like the CT scan couldn't identify exactly what was going on.

After these two tests, I finally had an appointment with an urologist, who said I should have had an IVP done as the first course of action. If your not familiar with the IVP, it is where the take a series of X-Rays with, and without dye that is injected into your system. This test is obviously much cheaper than an MRI or CT scan. This is the test that finally confirmed that I didn't have any kidney stones, or tumors in my system. It clearly showed I had a complete blockage in the renal kidney.

In order to find out the nature of the blockage the Doctor had to perform a retrograde pylogram(sp?) Not a fun thing to endure, but very necessary in my case. During this procedure they were able to determine the cause and implanted a temporary stent to open the passage.

If you are having doubts about your doctors diagnosis, my recomendation would be to get an appointment with a urologist. I am one of those guys that hates going to see the doctor. I'm terrible about putting any visit off as long as possible, if I go at all. After this episode, I have conceded that it is better to be safe than sorry.

13. roadhog

roadhog New Member

Thanks for the replies from both of you. Coincidentally, I'm dealing with a flight surgeon because of my profession as well. It sure seems like I just had a urinary tract infection, but everything I read says that is VERY rare and also cites all kinds of scarier possibilities. I think I'm going to try to force a referral to a urologist just to put my mind at ease. During my episode, my piss looked like pure blood, no urine (at least to the eye, no fancy machine looking at it or anything). About 1 ounce or so at a pop. Scary sight...

Thanks again. Take care.