Pit Bull!!!

Geob

Guest
This morning I was putting my lovely new Vision fenders through a work-out, commuting in the rain
(Primo Comets with the tread worn smooth are NOT the tire of choice for this). On my 8 mile commute
to work I pass through the 'Projects' in order to cross the freeway on the pedestrian overcross.
This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the knee-high dogs and
thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! Now, on my DF I was
accustomed to dogs eye-balling my legs... on my VR40 things are different, like a couple of feet
lower! This guy is evaluating my upper arm! He is right there, slobbering and growling and chomping,
pert-near eye-to-eye with me. I am mentally reviewing how many large arteries are close to the
surface there. There's no way I was gonna kick him, which, on my DF, has dissuaded lesser dogs in
the past. It was immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was in order. I generally hold
headlong flight to be a viable negotiating tactic, but this guy is just idling along next to
me. I mean, *right* next to me. No way am I gonna leave him behind. So Plan C. I attempted to build
a relationship with him, based on commonalities and respect, of mutual progressive
self-disclousure in an atmosphere of trust and acceptance. But all he would do was repeat
himself, loudly. All I could catch was something like "... damn bikes... my territory.... make
an example...".

> ... This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the knee-high dogs
> and thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! ... It was
> immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was in order.

Dazer!!! Check out the archives.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus:

I have my doubts that the dazer will work on a determined dog. I've definitely had mixed results. It
only seems to **** of some dogs. Probably sounds like Barry Manilo to them.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > ... This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the knee-high
> > dogs and thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! ... It was
> > immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was in order.
>
> Dazer!!! Check out the archives.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Plan D: Sawed off shotgun

Derek

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (GeoB) wrote:

> This morning I was putting my lovely new Vision fenders through a work-out, commuting in the rain
> (Primo Comets with the tread worn smooth are NOT the tire of choice for this). On my 8 mile
> commute to work I pass through the 'Projects' in order to cross the freeway on the pedestrian
> overcross. This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the
> knee-high dogs and thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! Now,
> on my DF I was accustomed to dogs eye-balling my legs... on my VR40 things are different, like a
> couple of feet lower! This guy is evaluating my upper arm! He is right there, slobbering and
> growling and chomping, pert-near eye-to-eye with me. I am mentally reviewing how many large
> arteries are close to the surface there. There's no way I was gonna kick him, which, on my DF, has
> dissuaded lesser dogs in the past. It was immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was
> in order. I generally hold headlong flight to be a viable negotiating tactic, but this guy is just
> idling along next to
> me. I mean, *right* next to me. No way am I gonna leave him behind. So Plan C. I attempted to
> build a relationship with him, based on commonalities and respect, of mutual progressive
> self-disclousure in an atmosphere of trust and acceptance. But all he would do was repeat
> himself, loudly. All I could catch was something like "... damn bikes... my territory....
> make an example...".

I had much the same experience on my P-38 with a Great Dane . I was pedaling up a very steep hill on
a P-38,so outrunning was not an option,but fear was! This dog decided to take a taste of my bicep
and of course,being clipped in ,down I went. Lucky I was that after he bit me he backed off and gave
me a chance to get up and put my bike between us. I didn't have any defense that day ,but now carry
doggy mace and it does work. Never had a dog that didn't stop dead when hit with it. Just don't
spray into the wind. Ben fox "GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This morning I was putting my lovely new Vision fenders through a work-out, commuting in the rain
> (Primo Comets with the tread worn smooth are NOT the tire of choice for this). On my 8 mile
> commute to work I pass through the 'Projects' in order to cross the freeway on the pedestrian
> overcross. This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the
> knee-high dogs and thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! Now,
> on my DF I was accustomed to dogs eye-balling my legs... on my VR40 things are different, like a
> couple of feet lower! This guy is evaluating my upper arm! He is right there, slobbering and
> growling and chomping, pert-near eye-to-eye with me. I am mentally reviewing how many large
> arteries are close to the surface there. There's no way I was gonna kick him, which, on my DF, has
> dissuaded lesser dogs in the past. It was immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was
> in order. I generally hold headlong flight to be a viable negotiating tactic, but this guy is just
> idling along next to
> me. I mean, *right* next to me. No way am I gonna leave him behind. So Plan C. I attempted to
> build a relationship with him, based on commonalities and respect, of mutual progressive
> self-disclousure in an atmosphere of trust and acceptance. But all he would do was repeat
> himself, loudly. All I could catch was something like "... damn bikes... my territory....
> make an example...".

One word: TASER

http://www.buckeyepersonalprotection.com/stunmaster625.htm I could see a holster on the steering
riser to hold this baby.

Disclaimer: this is just one of many online places to buy these things, I know nothing about this
outfit in particular.

Plan # ?? Make a call to the police on a mobile and get them to come and impound the 'dangerous
attacking pit bill' dog. Try to make sure fido is having a bark and growl when the call goes through
:) That should get the owners attention so they will fix the yard or to keep the gate closed, or
the dog will go to sleep and that will stop it forever.

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This morning I was putting my lovely new Vision fenders through a work-out, commuting in the rain
> (Primo Comets with the tread worn smooth are NOT the tire of choice for this). On my 8 mile
> commute to work I pass through the 'Projects' in order to cross the freeway on the pedestrian
> overcross. This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the
> knee-high dogs and thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! Now,
> on my DF I was accustomed to dogs eye-balling my legs... on my VR40 things are different, like a
> couple of feet lower! This guy is evaluating my upper arm! He is right there, slobbering and
> growling and chomping, pert-near eye-to-eye with me. I am mentally reviewing how many large
> arteries are close to the surface there. There's no way I was gonna kick him, which, on my DF, has
> dissuaded lesser dogs in the past. It was immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was
> in order. I generally hold headlong flight to be a viable negotiating tactic, but this guy is just
> idling along next to
> me. I mean, *right* next to me. No way am I gonna leave him behind. So Plan C. I attempted to
> build a relationship with him, based on commonalities and respect, of mutual progressive
> self-disclousure in an atmosphere of trust and acceptance. But all he would do was repeat
> himself, loudly. All I could catch was something like "... damn bikes... my territory....
> make an example...".

"Andrew & Joanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Plan # ?? Make a call to the police on a mobile and get them to come and impound the 'dangerous
> attacking pit bill' dog. Try to make sure fido is having a bark and growl when the call goes
> through :) That should get the owners attention so they will fix the yard or to keep the gate
> closed, or the dog will go to sleep and that will stop it
forever.

The best plan yet.

The original poster said he was riding through the projects, so it is unlikely that a true owner
would come forth. Calling animal control would be the best bet. And calling and calling and calling.
I use a Dog Dazer. It has worked on some pretty nasty dogs. The trick is to let them get close
enough. Really scary close. If you are trigger happy and signal from too far away, you will lose
your element of surprise and the device probably does indeed sound like Manilow. I have pepper spray
and it works well, but the chance of catching your self in the spray because of wind (or whatever)
is greater than I'm comfortable with. I use the Halt if the Dazer doesn't catch em off guard. (rare)
Perry bentcajungirl

This loose running dogs chap my ass. I hate people who sue frivolously, but if i get bit, or fall,
i'm trying to find out who the owner is and getting an attorney

Ben Fox wrote:
> I had much the same experience on my P-38 with a Great Dane . I was pedaling up a very steep hill
> on a P-38,so outrunning was not an option,but fear was! This dog decided to take a taste of my
> bicep and of course,being clipped in ,down I went. Lucky I was that after he bit me he backed off
> and gave me a chance to get up and put my bike between us. I didn't have any defense that day ,but
> now carry doggy mace and it does work. Never had a dog that didn't stop dead when hit with it.
> Just don't spray into the wind. Ben fox "GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>This morning I was putting my lovely new Vision fenders through a work-out, commuting in the rain
>>(Primo Comets with the tread worn smooth are NOT the tire of choice for this). On my 8 mile
>>commute to work I pass through the 'Projects' in order to cross the freeway on the pedestrian
>>overcross. This morning all the dogs were out, and patrolling the streets! I got pass the
>>knee-high dogs and thought I had it made, but then out charges a Big Scarred Male Pit Bull! Now,
>>on my DF I was accustomed to dogs eye-balling my legs... on my VR40 things are different, like a
>>couple of feet lower! This guy is evaluating my upper arm! He is right there, slobbering and
>>growling and chomping, pert-near eye-to-eye with me. I am mentally reviewing how many large
>>arteries are close to the surface there. There's no way I was gonna kick him, which, on my DF, has
>>dissuaded lesser dogs in the past. It was immediately obvious to me that a different stratgem was
>>in order. I generally hold headlong flight to be a viable negotiating tactic, but this guy is just
>>idling along next to
>>me. I mean, *right* next to me. No way am I gonna leave him behind. So Plan C. I attempted to
>> build a relationship with him, based on commonalities and respect, of mutual progressive
>> self-disclousure in an atmosphere of trust and acceptance. But all he would do was repeat
>> himself, loudly. All I could catch was something like "... damn bikes... my territory....
>> make an example...".
>

> I have my doubts that the dazer will work on a determined dog. I've definitely had mixed results.
> It only seems to **** of some dogs. Probably sounds like Barry Manilo to them.

Pitbulls are not wired right. Now, my intelligent and sensitive Border Collie would die if I pointed
at him and spoke sharply. But I have known Pitbulls.. This one.. his low-life owners would hang a
big wad of newspaper or cloth in a tree about 6-7' off the ground and light it on fire. When it was
fully involved they would loose the beast. He would stand under it looking at it, chomping his jaws
until he had a big mouthful of frothy doggie-sugar. Then he would jump up and bite the fire until it
was out. Another Pitbull got firecrackers as a reward. Lit firecrackers which would go off in his
mouth. He loved it. Sick, sick sick. Another.. his biker owner kept in the back yard. I walked back
there, carefully choosing my footing. I saw a truck tire lying there that had been thrown away
because it lost its tread. So I thought. He said, "OK, Brutus, get your toy". Brutus went over,
twisted his neck sideways, BIT the edge of the tire, flipped his gigantic head, and the truck tire
flipped up and wobbled about the yard before falling to rest again. Now, this truck tire had a steel
rim in it. It was.. well, I know how, you know how.. you squat down, try to keep your back straight,
lift with your legs. That kind of truck tire. This dog had RIPPED the tread off a truck tire with
his teeth! His jaws were too big to fit inside a regulation basketball (no, I didn't try). His head
didn't taper to his neck, it got larger as it went toward his shoulders.

OK, enough about Pitbulls. I wouldn't wanna take a chance on exciting one with a Dazer even though
my buddie uses one for his commute through the country (15.5 miles Fresno to Sanger) and claims it
works well.

I have no sawed-off shotgun. I do have a .357 magnum Model 686 w/ 180 grain hollow-point segmented
bullets. I suppose I could press it against him and let fly without performing non-specific
assasination on the neighborhood. It will stop a bear (hypothetically that is, as I think the
poachers have killed the last one in this area) so maybe it will stop a Pitbull.

i've used an Air Zound with great success, and screamed "NO" with good success.

Ben Fox wrote:

> ... Never had a dog that didn't stop dead when hit with it [pepper > spray]. Just don't spray into
> the wind.

Ben,

Pepper spray on the skin (other than mucous membrane areas) is no big deal on a bike ride - until
you get home and decide to take a warm shower. Warm water will feel almost boiling hot on the
affected area.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

John Foltz wrote:

> One word: TASER

A cattle prod intended for use on an 1800 lb (~800 kgf) bull should do much to discourage chasing
and aggression from a dog that is 1/20 of the size.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

Tom, I usually try to keep my mucous membrane areas to myself. Ben Fox "Tom Sherman"

> Ben Fox wrote:
> >
> > ... Never had a dog that didn't stop dead when hit with it [pepper >
spray].
> > Just don't spray into the wind.
>
> Ben,
>
> Pepper spray on the skin (other than mucous membrane areas) is no big deal on a bike ride - until
> you get home and decide to take a warm shower. Warm water will feel almost boiling hot on the
> affected area.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
> Dragonflyer

I had no success at all with Air Zound. Ben fox "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in

GeoB wrote:

> <snip>... I attempted to build a relationship with him, based on commonalities and respect, of
> mutual progressive self-disclousure in an atmosphere of trust and acceptance...

So much touchy-feely ****.... Have some balls, man!! Carry and USE some pepper spray. I
guarantee that he will not bother you again.

Ben Fox wrote:

> Tom, I usually try to keep my mucous membrane areas to myself.

Ben,

How does your wife feel about this? ;)

I was thinking about the possibility of inhaling the pepper spray though one's mouth or nose, or
getting it in one's eyes.

Ben Fox wrote:

> I had no success at all with Air Zound.

The Air Zound works well on headphone wearing inline skaters, however.
:)

< http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skates.html >

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

Large can of Hair Spray and a Zippo lighter.....light up the pooch! "Derek Swift"