Pitlock question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Hearns, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    I bought a set of Pitlock skewers and seatpost bolt yesterday.

    On the packet it says that they do bolts for Aheadsets and brakes. Does anyone use Pitlocks on their
    Aheadset? Anyone think it is a good idea?

    I never thought of getting my handlebars nicked - and I suppose thieves would have to cut the cables
    to get them off.

    I don't think I'll get the Aheadset bolts - but then I'll feel stupid of it does get pinched.

    Tags:

  2. John Hearns wrote:
    > I bought a set of Pitlock skewers and seatpost bolt yesterday.
    >
    > On the packet it says that they do bolts for Aheadsets and brakes. Does anyone use Pitlocks on
    > their Aheadset?

    Yes, me.

    > Anyone think it is a good idea?

    I don't know. I got in installed by my LBS and did not touch it since - nobody else either. In
    theory it might be compromised more easily than the other pitlock bits because it does not have the
    steel ring that protects the bolt from being attacked with heavy tools.

    > I never thought of getting my handlebars nicked - and I suppose thieves would have to cut the
    > cables to get them off.

    This is not an anti-theft device for the handlebars. They might easily be taken off at the other
    end of the stem. It secures the (suspension) fork which is beside the frame the most expensive
    piece on an MTB.

    Guenther

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, John Hearns <[email protected]> writes

    >I never thought of getting my handlebars nicked - and I suppose thieves would have to cut the
    >cables to get them off.

    It does happen, I had a my handlebars pinched once, they did indeed cut the cables and then took the
    lot. - weren't even anything fancy just bog standard low end MTB levers etc.

    (happened one winters evening locked up outside an AE college in Camden, London, early '90s)

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:53:33 +0100, Guenther Schwarz wrote:

    > John Hearns wrote:
    >> I bought a set of Pitlock skewers and seatpost bolt yesterday.
    >>
    >> On the packet it says that they do bolts for Aheadsets and brakes. Does anyone use Pitlocks on
    >> their Aheadset?
    >
    > Yes, me.

    Thanks Guenther.

    I now have a bit of a problem. Looks like the Pitlock won't work with my nice shiny new M:parts
    seatpost clamp (the one with the rack bosses).

    The M:parts has a single 3cm long allen bolt, which fits into a threaded hole on the clamp.

    The Pitlock bolt is 5cm long, and goes right through. I guess it is intended to clamp by tightening
    up on to parellel faces on the clamp - however the M:parts clamp has a ridged profile on the
    outside, a bit like a V shape.

    Ideas anyone? I suppose I should just do it up tight and hope for the best???

    ps. just makes me think how easy it would be for a thief with a set of alley keys to steal things.
    Sigh. We need bike lockers, not just bike stands.

  5. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ps. just makes me think how easy it would be for a thief with a set of alley keys to steal things.
    > Sigh. We need bike lockers, not just bike stands.

    There's a company that makes custom security bolts (http://www.brycefastener.com/keyedlok.htm).
    Unfortunately, the MOQ is rather large (of the order of a thousand in a single size), so even
    splitting them between the readers of u.r.c would be impractical. Which is a shame.

    With the sudden step from a 200 quid bike to a 2000 quid bike happening this weekend, this has a
    certain resonance with me.

    ian

  6. John Hearns wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:53:33 +0100, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    >

    > I now have a bit of a problem. Looks like the Pitlock won't work with my nice shiny new M:parts
    > seatpost clamp (the one with the rack bosses).
    >
    > The M:parts has a single 3cm long allen bolt, which fits into a threaded hole on the clamp.
    >
    > The Pitlock bolt is 5cm long, and goes right through. I guess it is intended to clamp by
    > tightening up on to parellel faces on the clamp

    Like the bits for the wheels it is intended to replace a quick release skewer. It won't fit on any
    other type of clamp, AFAIK.

    > Ideas anyone?

    There used to be a device that runs a cable down the interior of the seatpost attaching to the bolts
    of a bottle cage. That's nice because you might vary the height of the saddle with a quick relaese
    and still the seatpost can't be pulled out entirely. But I have no idea where to get this from.
    Maybe someone else knows more about that.

    Guenther

  7. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    John

    Where did you get the M parts clamp? I've been looking for a shop that stocks this part for a while
    as I would like to see one, then I will know of it will do the job for me.

    SW

    "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:53:33 +0100, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    >
    > > John Hearns wrote:
    > >> I bought a set of Pitlock skewers and seatpost bolt yesterday.
    > >>
    > >> On the packet it says that they do bolts for Aheadsets and brakes. Does anyone use Pitlocks on
    > >> their Aheadset?
    > >
    > > Yes, me.
    >
    > Thanks Guenther.
    >
    > I now have a bit of a problem. Looks like the Pitlock won't work with my nice shiny new M:parts
    > seatpost clamp (the one with the rack bosses).
    >
    > The M:parts has a single 3cm long allen bolt, which fits into a threaded hole on the clamp.
    >
    > The Pitlock bolt is 5cm long, and goes right through. I guess it is intended to clamp by
    > tightening up on to parellel faces on the clamp - however the M:parts clamp has a ridged profile
    > on the outside, a bit like a V shape.
    >
    > Ideas anyone? I suppose I should just do it up tight and hope for the
    best???

    > ps. just makes me think how easy it would be for a thief with a set of alley keys to steal things.
    > Sigh. We need bike lockers, not just bike stands.

  8. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Thanks John,

    I can get there easily